Profile for FJ McManus > Reviews

Content by FJ McManus

FJ McManus (UK)

Smart&Safe? Hollow Air Tube Hands-free Headset - Reduces 98% of Harmful Radiation Emissions Generated By Cellphones - Compatible with iPhone & Blackberry and all Cellphones with 3.5mm Jack

1.0 out of 5 stars Great design. AWFUL quality, 15 Oct. 2014
In every way but one crucial problem, this is a great product.

Good:
1. Sound quality really good, right down to fairly deep bass
2. No headaches thanks to the metal part being far from your head

Bad:
1. Falls apart within 2 weeks. I bought this twice. The 2nd time I was very careful indeed with it. Still fell apart very quickly.

Dear Smart&Safe
Make the build quality of the plastic tube part the same as this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005BZ1292/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, and I will buy yours again.

BLACK Smart & Safe® Hollow Air Tube Hands-free Headset - Reduces 98% of Harmful Radiation Emissions Generated By Cellphones - Compatible with iPhone & Blackberry and Cellphones with 3.5mm P4 Jack (See Compatibility list in Technical Details section)

2.0 out of 5 stars excellent design. awful materials, 20 Aug. 2013
This does exactly what they claim. The sound quality is also very good. For about 4 weeks. Then one of the tubes will fall off or the mic will just stop working reducing the call quality or one of the ear pieces will fall off. The materials used are the absolute cheapest possible. The only reason I keep buying it (I'm on my 4th) is cos it does massively improve headaches after calls to basically none even after very long calls and it is the only one. There is a single ear-piece one, that has 2.5mm jack for some stupid reason.

I have bought this ([[ASIN:handle handle]] with it to put the headphones in. Hopefully if I treat it like a rare and precious artifact worth £1000s that will break at the slightest provocation, then it might last all of a year,

4th Dec 2013
Despite being extremely careful with, it completely fell apart, the jack fell off, the wires fell off. Keep the design, use quality materials. Then and only then will I buy it again.

TOTAL CRAP!!!!!!!

iPad iPhone 4 iPhone 3G S 3GS Touch 4 Nano 6 Rapid Car Charger
iPad iPhone 4 iPhone 3G S 3GS Touch 4 Nano 6 Rapid Car Charger

2.0 out of 5 stars did not work, 8 April 2010
Admittedly I haven't bothered to use their returns service. Hence I'm not giving it 1 star. Everything was fine. delivered quickly, etc. The actual product does not work though.

Sams Teach Yourself ASP.NET 3.5 in 24 Hours: Complete Starter Kit (Sams Teach Yourself...in 24 Hours)
by Scott Mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars Beginner to solid foundation, 30 Mar. 2010
Well done again Sams.

My client wanted me to create a front end for data entry to go on their intranet, instead of using MS Access forms. I have taken a week off with this book. It has rapidly got me from knowing nothing about ASP.NET to a good solid foundation which is all I ever want from these teach-yourself books. I will use Google from here on to work out the extra fancy stuff as I go along.

It is a hands-on book. All the way throgh it makes you practice what it is teaching you and explains clearly what is happening and why. Every chapter ends with a quiz to test your knowledge and most chapters end with a few well thought out exercises which you do to really ensure you have learnt the contents of the chapter.

It also explains the basics of VB.NET and SQL for people who have not used those tools before as well. Of course, to make good use of ASP.NET you really do need to practice VB.NET and SQL.

To get a solid foundation in VB.NET I recommend SAMS Teach Yourself Visual Basic 2008. For SQL, you can't do better than Apress' SQL Server 2008: Novice to Professional. Although SAMS equivalent is v good also.

Pro SQL Server 2008 Analytics: Delivering Sales and Marketing Dashboards (Expert's Voice in SQL Server)
by Brian Paulen

5.0 out of 5 stars True involved learning, 27 Jun. 2009
--------------------------
ADDITIONAL TO REVIEW BELOW:
I am now half way through this book. However the database is missing a couple tables and one of the tables has not been filled with data for a particular crucial column. These have caused two exercises not to work. I have had to create the missing tables and fill with believable data so that the exercises return something in the ssrs reports.

I am offically changing the score for this book to 3* (I can't change the * rating above). And will keep my rating as such until the database is fixed and redeployed onto the Apress website). When this happens, I will edit this review. In the meantime, I probably wouldn't bother buying this book.
---------------------------------

Another excellent piece of work by the authors at Apress. As always, It's very hands-on all the way through. This particular book goes a bit further than other Apress books I have used before in that each chapter ends with a few practice bits which you are forced to work out for yourself. Nice touch which really drums in the chapter's lessons.

I strongly recommend also studying the SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services book. There doesn't seem to be any logical reason why they brought out two books that both teach the same stuff - ie SQL SSRS 2008. However, I completed the Reporting Services book and it was all new for me then (never used SSRS before). I decided to go through this book to drum it in a bit more and it is definitely worth it. You could do them in either order.

Also, there are almost no errors in the text or software. Believe me that is good, ALL study books I have used have errors in the text or software. This book has the fewest I have come across. Well done Apress.

One problem I have is that the source code is one MASSIVE, complicated SQL Database. I just want to learn about SSRS, not everything else in sql. It doesn't help if the data feeding the reports are views that use lots and lots of tables and complex sql code. It would be much better to have a very simple pretend business so that I could familiarize myself with the source data for an hour or two and then be able to understand the resultant ssrs reports that I create during the exercises.

There is another issue as well. The examples often use the current systemdate. The data in the sample database is mainly made up of 2006 to 2008 stuff. So some queries return no data because I haven't had the common sense to go back in time to 2008 (before this book was written).

Pro SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services
Pro SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services
by Rodney Landrum

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic as long as you don't mind lots and lots of errors, 13 Jun. 2009
Apress is my favourite publisher for learning new programming skills. I like the way the book is very hands-on. You never go more than a couple pages before the book is telling you to try something out.

My only problem is the number of errors. I have enough trouble trying to learn a new skill without having to work out if the reason my code isn't working is due to a mistake I have made or due to a mistake the authors have made. The only silver-lining with that is uncovering the author's errors (be they with the book's text or with the sample code) caused me to learn more about ssrs and sql generally.

Why do I stick with Apress you may ask. Simple, all the other publishers have the same problem with errors in their text. So Apress is the best of the bunch.

Incidentally, if you are wondering which is my least favourite: Microsoft Press. My God, trying to learn with their books made time seem to come to a halt. 15 pages of text then a 1 page step-by-step example at the end with no thinking required. Then 15 pages of text and then another step-by-step example. I can't learn how to program by reading pages and pages of text and lists of methods, etc. I need to be actively practicing to learn.

MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-448): Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 Business Intelligence Development and Maintenance (Self-Paced Training Kits)
by Erik Veerman

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much reading, not enough doing, 17 May 2009
I'm reasonably happy with the study guide. It splits up into neat lessons, each one ending in an exercise

However, I (like most) learn by doing, not by reading. The lessons, instead of ending in step-by-step exercices, should end in actual mini-tests so as to force the user to work out how to achieve the results. Plus the lessons should be broken up with step-by-steps so the user can see what is being explained.

Getting 13 pages of text, followed by an exercise where you simply do what you're told with no need to understand what is happening is really pointless. I often found myself daydreaming while reading, taking nothing in.

Ironically, the only occasions I really felt I'd learned something is when I followed a step-by-step guide, it didn't work and I had to uncover what mistake the author had made to understand why it didn't work.

I haven't got as far as trying the practice tests so can't review them yet.

Beginning SQL Server 2008 for Developers: From Novice to Professional (Expert's Voice in SQL Server)
by Robin Dewson

5.0 out of 5 stars Know-Nothing to Solid Foundation, 2 Mar. 2009
This book was just perfect for me.

I am fully proficient in using MS Excel and MS Access. I needed to upgrade my knowledge to SQL server as my latest contract deals with too much data to be able to be handled by MS Access.

I wouldn't say that this book takes you to "Professional" level from Novice. How could it in just 450 pages?

It does, however, do an excellent job of taking the user from complete know-nothing about SQL Server all the way to a solid foundation. I will now be able to create the database I need and will use online help to help with bits here and there as I go.

I took a 5 day break in my contract to quickly get this foundation level and can go back full of confidence and get on with it. I just needed this book to get me that solid foundation and it has done so very well indeed.

Sams Teach Yourself Visual Basic 2008 in 24 Hours: Complete Starter Kit
Sams Teach Yourself Visual Basic 2008 in 24 Hours: Complete Starter Kit
by James Foxall

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 30 Nov. 2008
I have found this book a joy to learn VB .NET with. I have come from VB6, but am sure a newby could just as easily start with this book.

I would like a bit more user-interaction, but it's good enough.

If only Mr Foxall would cover more. SQL Server, HTML, Dreamweaver would all be much appreciated!

Learn Access VBA 2003 With The Smart Method
Learn Access VBA 2003 With The Smart Method
by Mike Smart

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 27 Oct. 2007
This is exactly how a self-study book should be written. I feel a novice would gain a lot from this, but it would help to have a little fundamental knowledge of Access and VBA before using this book. Only a little though.

The step-by-step nature and the tests at the end of each chapter are what make this book so superb as it forces the reader to learn and retain what they are being taught.