Profile for Kevin Forde > Reviews

Content by Kevin Forde

Kevin Forde

Page: 1 | 2
Officially Licensed Chat Headset (PS4)
Officially Licensed Chat Headset (PS4)
Price: 15.84

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid. Awful tat., 12 Dec 2013
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I ordered the "Official Licensed Chat Headset" from Amazon. It turned up today and for such a basic product it's amazing how many things there are wrong with it.

1. It's for the left-ear only! ie. the mic only goes around in one direction so it must be worn on the left-ear if you are to be able to speak.
...No more than Willy Wonka, I'm a trifle deaf in my left ear and anyway I feel more comfortable wearing a headset on my right.
For this reason alone it's going back.

2. The mute/unmute switch is as pitiful and awkward as the puny thing that comes with the PS4.
I don't have to imagine how frustrating it is to search for the mute button in a hurry in the middle of a game. This is the same switch, made from the same flimsy, unholdable plastic with the unfindable mute button.

3. Lack of volume is also unforgivable. I mean, *WHY!??*
To say it's available in settings is not acceptable.

4. The part the reaches around your head is a bit puny. It's true I have somewhat of a bit of a big head, but I have to stretch the plastic arm all the way open for the headphone to be able to reach my ear -and even then it leaves a big awkward-looking L-shaped grip sticking into the top of my head. Ugly, horrible thing.

5. For an "official licensed product" (that doesn't appear to be made by SONY, but carries the PS logo, etc.) this is over-priced tat. I paid I believe 23.95 for it, including Irish VAT, believing I'd get some kind of quality. I wouldn't call it any kind of quality. Barely an improvement on the awful tatty headset that came with the console.

6. If any thought at all was given to this product, the mute (& volume) switch would be at the base -next to the plug that goes into the controller. That way it's easily-findable in a hurry when it's usually needed. This has the already-hard-to-grasp switch dangling at chest-height.

I opened the box an hour ago. Immediately replaced it, filled in and printed out my return labels, packed it up then sat down to write this. I'm only thankful I bought from Amazon who I know will take it back without fuss.

EasyAcc UK 40Pin 15V 1.2A AC Adapter ASUS Wall Charger for ASUS Eee Pad Transformer TF101, Prime TF201, SL101, Pad 300 TF300 TF700T-with EMI CORES
Offered by EasyAcc.U Store
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars No problem, 19 Nov 2013
My original ASUS power charger cable stopped working (first the plug fell apart, but it still worked. Eventually it wouldn't charge even via usb). I feared the tablet was broken. But after buying this charger thankfully it came back to life.

Samsung Universal Desktop Charging and Audio Out Dock for 10.1 inch Samsung Galaxy Note - White

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning: No power cable with this, 31 Oct 2013
Yes, I might well be a bit dim. It doesn't _state_ that it comes with a power cable/plug, but yet I somehow expected it.
My original Note 10.1 power cable stopped working some time ago. I bought a third-party replacement -mainly because the cable was longer, but also because I couldn't easily source a new Samsung one. That original cable _is_ muuuch too short.

The problem with my third-party one is it seems to take forever to charge. Like 10 hours or so.
So when I saw this Samsung dock/charge-station I thought it would be the ideal replacement.

It would be if it came with a power cable. It's quite durable-seeming. Still, if I was to use this I'd have to plug my third-party cable into it to add power. For me at least that defeats the purpose. One star for this then, but top-marks to Amazon who made returning it easy.

Kruuse Rogz Catz Cool Cat Eye Collar, Red
Kruuse Rogz Catz Cool Cat Eye Collar, Red

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but impractical for our cat, 27 Dec 2012
There's a big, ugly wild cat in our area who often comes-a-calling by night. We bought this to hold the cat-flap RFID tag in place so our cat could get into the garage. Worked well for around 3 days until one morning the cat turned up with no collar (or tag). A search proved fruitless. The problem is, for safety reasons, this collar is set to snap open, which is fine if the cat is caught in a tree by the neck, but not so good if it's any other situation.

So you could say the collar worked as designed -it opened and allowed our cat to get away. I guess we'll never know if it saved his life or just wasted a 10euro tag +an 8euro collar. The collar he has now doesn't have a safety-opener. It's tight, but comfortably fitted around his neck. So far it has lasted around 10 days.

Eddingtons Meat and Poultry Thermometer
Eddingtons Meat and Poultry Thermometer
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved the Christmas Dinner, 27 Dec 2012
My wife was cooking the Christmas turkey using a cooking bag that recommended a certain time-per-pound ratio. According to that, the turkey should have taken something like 4.5 hours at a certain temperature. However, after 3.5 hours she checked the thermometer and according to that it was done. We discussed/ argued about it, but ultimately decided the thermometer must be right. We were lucky we had it, because the breast was starting to go a bit dry when we checked. Legs, etc. were perfect.

Definitely saved the Christmas Dinner -and afterwards the thermometer isn't stained or damaged in any way I can see, so in good nick to use again another day. Top marks.

Aquarius 360 Degree Rotating Folio Case/Cover/Stand with Matching Stylus Pen and Screen Guard for Samsung Galaxy Note N8000 - Dark Blue
Offered by AQUARIUS PROTEXION
Price: 4.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Flawed design, 27 Dec 2012
Qualitywise this is ok. The leather-type covering is fine. The opening for the camera is slightly in the wrong place/too small though -you need to prop the tablet up a bit when it's inside the case because otherwide the bottom of the lens is blocked by the opening.

That's just about forgiveable, but what isn't is the snap-button behind the tablet inside the casing. This allows you to swivel it around and/or to remove the tablet from the outer cover (keeping the main leather cover on) and snap it back into place when needed later. See pics.

However, even without the tablet in place, there's a fairly big bump in the panel of the casing caused by this button. I just couldn't trust this cover knowing that this bump is pushing into the back of the tablet at all times. I suppose if I only placed it down "glass-side down" it wouldn't be an issue, but that's not very practical.

I'd send it back, but I bought it weeks ago and kept it for Christmas to open. Also now I've cut into the case to try to remove the snap-button. So far I've not succeeded.

Overall not a bad case. The Galaxy Note 10.1 is far nicer without it, but for protection it would have been acceptable... if it wasn't for the big button in the back.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Good colour, but doesn't seem near 4000 pages, 13 Dec 2012
I bought this two months ago. I printed a few things, but nothing major. Well ok, maybe 100 - 200 colour pages max (thinking about it, definitely a lot closer to 100 than 200). My 'supplies information' now shows 43% remaining. I would expect a lot better than that from something that is supposed to give 4000 pages.

SanDisk SDSDQU-032G-U46A MicroSDHC Ultra 32 GB Class 10 UHS-I 30 MB/s with SD Adapter (Label May Change)
Offered by GizzmoHeaven
Price: 13.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice card, 22 Nov 2012
There are a lot of fakes around these days, but I bought this card directly from amazon and I'm happy to report it's the real deal. 32GB of space for me to fit my MP3s onto my phone -now being used in this way. Before that though I tried it in my Canon camera and it worked perfectly when recording HD video (it says Class 10, but you can never be too careful -it appears that it is).
My pc didn't want to recognise it however. After a driver update it did (probably due to the fact it was the first time I tried a 32GB sdcard).

Overall I'd love another one, but maybe 16GB would be more compatible with more (older) hardware -if you were going to use it in more than one device.

Bakery On Main Gluten Free Muesli Apple Raisin Walnut 340 g (Pack of 2)
Bakery On Main Gluten Free Muesli Apple Raisin Walnut 340 g (Pack of 2)
Offered by Superfooduk
Price: 11.47

1.0 out of 5 stars Very tasty when in date -apalling Amazon food shipping policy, 21 Nov 2012
My original review below. I had an order of this cereal yesterday (the 15th of March). I ate a bowl of them today (16th). They tasted _awful_, but it was one of those things you don't notice fully until afterwards. Now it's around 2 hours later and there's still a disgusting taste in my mouth from them. I checked the date -Best Before the 15th of March!
(I realise "best before" is not the same as "use by", but in this case they're clearly unfit for consumption, although I did eat a full bowl, which I now regret).

Amazon say they will refund me, but it's really really not on. I've had "close" dates from Amazon food shipments in the past, but said nothing. No more Amazon food subscriptions for me until I hear they take more care with this type of thing.

My original review of this product (when it's right) below:

A lot of "Gluten-free" products are afraid to advertise the fact because it's seen as a by-word for "not as tasty as products with gluten". This (and increasingly a number of other foodstuffs) has no problem in this regard because it's possibly the tastiest breakfast cereal ever. I've tried most other 'Bakery on Main' muesli options and they're all delicious. I usually mix them with some (Nairns) gluten-free oats, but that's not essential.
...I also add in some raisins or dried-fruit and/or nuts. The breakfast of kings! -Well, royalty anyway.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 25, 2013 8:17 AM BST

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars I had some fears but they proved unfounded, 21 Nov 2012
I wasn't certain I could trust a 'non-brand' toner cartridge, but I took a risk and colours seem fine. I don't have a problem with it.
UPDATE: I bought this two months ago. I printed a few things, but nothing major. Well ok, maybe 100 - 200 colour pages max. My 'supplies information' now shows 57% left. I would expect a lot better than that from something that is supposed to give 4000 pages!?
The yellow cart I replaced at the same time is even worse -shows 43%!

Page: 1 | 2