Profile for Scottigirl > Reviews

Content by Scottigirl

Scottigirl

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Sunshine on Scotland Street: 8 (44 Scotland Street)
Sunshine on Scotland Street: 8 (44 Scotland Street)
by Alexander McCall Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars McCall Smith never lets me down!, 21 Aug 2013
I just love his subtle sense of humour. Wish I had found him sooner (I started off with 'Scones') because I now have to catch up with his earlier books. I think it helps to be Scottish but it's a great read anyway. Please keep going.

Cat Litter Cats Best Okoplus Clumping 15kg
Cat Litter Cats Best Okoplus Clumping 15kg
Offered by Posh Pets

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 30 Jan 2013
I ordered this to use when I took my cats on holiday (they are usually outdoor cats). Being clean animals as cats are, they used it without any problem but from a human's point of view I though it was excellent. Very easy to clean and seemingly low odour as well. Definitely recommend.

Urdu (100 Word Exercise Book)
Urdu (100 Word Exercise Book)
by Jane Wightwick

2.0 out of 5 stars Too complicated, 30 Jan 2013
It took me some time to work out how to use this exercise book and feel that it would be much better if used with the help of a native speaking tutor especially for pronunciation.

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep
by S J Watson

5.0 out of 5 stars Definite Page Turner, 30 Jan 2013
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Hardcover)
I was completely drawn into this book, certainly in the 'can't put it down' category. From the beginning, although you know that all is not as it seems, the author keeps you guessing almost up to the end. I say 'almost' because I was a bit disappointed with the last chapter. I just felt that the subject would not have been quite so gullible as to fall into the trap set for her. That said, it is a cracking good read and I'd definitely recommend it.

A Street Cat Named Bob: How One Man and His Cat Found Hope on the Streets
A Street Cat Named Bob: How One Man and His Cat Found Hope on the Streets
by James Bowen

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 30 Jan 2013
This is a book written from the heart. You do not necessarily have to be a cat lover to appreciate James Bowen's autobiographical book although it helps. It is written in an unassuming style in plain English and I was lost in admiration for Bowen's tenacity and dogged (no pun intended!) determination to hang on when things went wrong for him and Bob.

I read this book some time ago and was so pleased to see it become a best seller and now talk of it becoming a film. I only hope that they screen version sticks closely to the original story and doesn't make it too 'cheesey' or soppy as that is not the type of person James Bowen comes across as. He is an inspiration to all those who have struggled with an addiction and all that life throws at them. (Bob the cat is fabulous too).

Katherine Swynford: The Story of John of Gaunt and His Scandalous Duchess
Katherine Swynford: The Story of John of Gaunt and His Scandalous Duchess
by Alison Weir

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard Going but Worth the Effort, 30 Jan 2013
Having read Anya Seton's book 'Katherine' and being fascinated by the life of John of Gaunt, I was eager to read Alison Weir's book about Katherine Swynford. However, I was disappointed, not by the massive amount of research the author put into her subject, but by the fact that I finished the book feeling I knew little more about Katherine (although more factually correct) than I did after reading Seton's book. The title is misleading because the main content is about John of Gaunt, his contempraries and other characters such as Geoffrey Chaucer in great detail.

This book is, I think, given the amount of detail and pages of reference at the back, more of reference book. The author starts by giving information about one of the characters then completely digresses into minute detail about not only where they lived but the architecture, what they wore, etc. This is fascinating but eventually becomes tiresome unless you are a student of the period as well as the people who lived then. I haven't read any of Alison Weir's other books so don't know whether this is a known trait of hers.

One last point. I was also disappointed when, in her reference to Anya Seton's book on Katherine which is known to be semi-fictionalised, Weir becomes personal in her criticism of that author to the point where she was rather scathing about Seton changing the spelling of her Christian name.

Felix Sensations Meaty Steaklets 12 x 100 g (Pack of 4, Total 48 Pouches)
Felix Sensations Meaty Steaklets 12 x 100 g (Pack of 4, Total 48 Pouches)
Offered by Amour Giftware

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value Product, 5 Jan 2012
The product I received was very good value for money but was not what I ordered. I received Felix Marinade instead of Sensations Steaklets. My cats are very fussy, don't like meat very much so I usually order fish. There were two items they weren't too keen on as the texture was on the mushy side. Having said that I would order again for a standby.

Felix Sensations Fish Steaklets in Jelly 12 x 100 g (Pack of 4, Total 48 Pouches)
Offered by Amour Giftware

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't Get Enough!, 1 April 2011
My cats that is, not me! Think this is very good value. My two cats are fussy rascals who drive me mad with fads but they do love this. Have ordered twice now and will continue.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Goodbye to fleas!, 1 April 2011
This product is very good value compared with what you would pay in a pet shop or at the Vet's. Only complaint is that Frontlines has always been considered the best but either the fleas are getting more resilient or the product weaker but doesn't seem to last up to four weeks as before.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 28, 2011 12:22 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3