Profile for Hippy chick > Reviews

Content by Hippy chick

Hippy chick (England, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Crocs  Crocband Toe Bumper Flip Brown/electric Blue Casual Sandal 11389-25f-110 6  6/7 Child UK
Crocs Crocband Toe Bumper Flip Brown/electric Blue Casual Sandal 11389-25f-110 6 6/7 Child UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Grandaughter loves them., 8 Aug 2014
I'm a long time Crocs devotee anyway so it's no surprise that I like to also buy them for my 3 grandchildren, introducing them to Crocs as soon as they could fit in any lol

The Grandaughter these were bought for loves the thong type sandal and has quite wide feet but this style fitted her just fine as she was going from a toddler size 6-7 and with the bumper bit over the toes, protected her toes from the usual bumps and knocks toddlers can be prone too.

They arrived ahead of the estimated delivery date and she couldn't wait to get them on. My daughter just had to stretch the back strap a bit, (easily done with Crocs and once stretched they do retain that size), by putting 2 fingers between the strap and my Grandaughter's heel for a few seconds while she had them on.

Because Crocs are so hard wearing, (even with toddlers), these Crocs can now be passed on to her younger sister when she grows into them! Great value and recycling all in one lol

I Am Pilgrim
I Am Pilgrim

5.0 out of 5 stars 700 pages.......they whizzed along!, 8 Aug 2014
This review is from: I Am Pilgrim (Kindle Edition)
Bought this after it was recommended by one of my nieces, who in turn had been recommended it by a friend and so glad I paid the £1.49 for it. Could have kept watching it to see if ended up in the free bestseller lists at all, but because my niece was raving about it so much, I was happy to fork out cash for it lol.

First of all, seeing that it's 700 pages long, was a bit off-putting but once I was half way through the second chapter, I became unaware of how many pages there were to plod through because PLOD I DID NOT!

It starts with the main character being tracked down by an NYPD cop called Ben, who, having read a book whilst recovering from injuries sustained in the line of duty, (spoiler alert if I was to say more than that), isn't convinced that the author of this book WAS in fact, who he claims to be. So he, along with wife Marcie, decide to try and track down the actual author.

Takes Ben and Marcie ages to get to the bottom of their puzzle, but once they do, they track down and confront the person they believe to be the true author. And this is where the original author, (the main character who starts off being called Scott Murdoch), finds himself dragged back into the life he was trying to forget.

The author switches from the main character in the book, to his prey in the next, then back and forth until the 2 finally meet up. Lots of twists and turns along the way and Ben features throughout the book popping in and out as does the wonderfully odd character of 'Battleboi' but I'm afraid I did have a fairly good idea who the 'mystery woman on the end of the phone' was fairly early on, but I'm told by others that they hadn't seen that coming. Maybe I've just read too many crime/mystery/thrillers that I can often work things out before I'm meant to?

I could NOT put this book down and the 700 pages just flew by way too fast that's now left me eagerly awaiting another book by this author! Hoping he's finding the ideas flowing fast because I, for one, can't wait to read more of his work!

Misty Falls
Misty Falls

5.0 out of 5 stars Bad timing...., 13 May 2014
This review is from: Misty Falls (Kindle Edition)
Because I'd just started reading this book when Panorama showed their programme about the abuse in some care/nursing homes, one of them being in Essex, which is where I live and about the staff who'd already been suspended. More were to follow in the days after the programme was aired.

Having had some personal experience with care/nursing homes via my own parents and with a daughter who is a carer in a nursing home too, I wasn't too sure that I ought to even read this, but read it I did. The story had me going through a rollercoaster of emotions from anger, fury and disgust to sad and tearful to chuckling. Todd, who is the main character in the book is writing the book from his own perspective which is a twist but a twist that I felt worked in this case.

It was so sad how the elderly and vulnerable could be victims of these bullies and too afraid to speak up and it made me worry even more than I had been while my Mum, in particular, had been taken care of in her 2 years in one of these facilities. Were there things going on that my Mum wasn't able to communicate to me or other family members because of her Alzheimer's? All too worrying and scary to contemplate since she's been gone for 3 years now. I can only hope that she was looked after with kindness and allowed to try and retain some of her dignity while we weren't there, unlike the poor chap who was being urinated on as he slept in this book! Disgraceful but sadly possible in real life...........

Great to see the bullies getting their comeuppance though! One in the eye for the bullies and one up for the silver surfers who were even able to manage using mobile phones and the internet which would prove to be their saving grace.

This book was very well written, very believable, (sadly), and had me laughing out loud in places whilst mopping up my tears in others.

I can recommend this book but please have a box of tissues handy and don't do as I did, which was to shout at the bullies when they'd treat those in their 'care' so callously. Made my poor hubby jump out of his skin as I was getting quite verbal reading in bed one night lol

Gone Again
Gone Again

5.0 out of 5 stars Made my eyes leak........, 8 May 2014
This review is from: Gone Again (Kindle Edition)
Because I found myself with tears in my eyes quite a few times throughout the book, it was so well written and sucked me right in.

In brief, things start to go awry for Mark when his son's school rings him to let him know that his wife, Lisa, has failed to collect their young son, Nathan from school. Totally out of character for Lisa to do this albeit she had done a disappearing act once before after Nathan's birth. Thankfully, that time she'd turned up ok and had been a doting mother to Nathan ever since. But during subsequent counselling sessions, historical abuse on her by her father came to light. This then caused a rift between Lisa and her Mother who, refuses to believe such a thing....at first......

After Mark picks Nathan up from school, he tries to locate Lisa's whereabouts all to no avail. Tries to report her as a missing person to the police later that evening but the police explain that she has to be missing longer to qualify as a missing person. Naturally they ask him if it's possible she'd been having an affair blah de blah. While he says he's sure she wasn't and how they were both thrilled at the prospect of having a baby daughter, it plants a seed in his mind remembering how Lisa's boss had been overly attentive towards her and making a play for her in the past. Mark confronts her boss who says that the last time he saw Lisa was when she took half a day off the day she hadn't collected Nathan from school, but Mark seems suspicious feeling that her boss is trying to hide something.

I won't tell you the outcome of the book but it's a gripping tale which had me not wanting to put the book down until I'd finished it and you'll have to read it for yourself to find out if it's a happy ever after or not. Really good though.

Never read anything by this author before, but will definitely be on the lookout for any others.

Brabantia Rotary Cover - Grass Design
Brabantia Rotary Cover - Grass Design
Offered by PRACTICALLYHOME

5.0 out of 5 stars Well I love it......., 3 Mar 2014
But sadly, the same can't be said for my very conservative hubby or naughty puppy! This was everything I'd been expecting and arrived even quicker than expected and I couldn't wait to slip it on my Brabantia Lift-O-Matic rotary line to replace my bog standard boring plain green one because the zip had come away from the material. I was fully prepared for this new bright grass design cover to make a statement in my very bland winter garden awaiting it's summer colour, but it received some rather unpleasant comments from my other half and a rhetorical question to me saying, 'Are YOU SURE about this!' I said that I was and like to be different! But then as if in cahoots with him, I then spied our 8 month old puppy attacking the bottom of the cover trying to rip it off!!!!! In spite of the opinions of these other household members, my lovely bright 'making a statement' design cover is still in tact and still looking lovely in my, still boring bland winter garden. It doesn't seem to have frightened off any of our many birdy visitors so they obviously have taste......like me lol

A Charming Crime (Magical Cures Mystery Series Book 1)
A Charming Crime (Magical Cures Mystery Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Jogged along nicely, 26 Feb 2014
Never having read anything by this author before and not really sure this would be my cup of tea, I downloaded it out of curiosity as a freebie from my usual category of crime, thriller and mystery. Some of it does seem a wee bit far fetched or maybe I just haven't found such a community like Whispering Falls, entirely full of magic and mystery.....yet! But it did seem to, weirdly, have that feel good factor because you just want to believe there really IS such a place as magical as Whispering Falls and I'm sure all shopkeepers would LOVE to have a constant queue of folk waiting to buy their goods like every shop in Whispering Falls does before they've even opened each morning.

So this book found me surprising myself and enjoying this gentle tale, (yes, 'gentle' even with the murders which aren't too graphic or gory), I shall be keeping an eye out for more of this author's work, when it's in the freebies. Well, this is a time when frugal should be the buzz word after all lol.

Still left wondering WHO on earth Mr. Prince Charming was in his past life though.......quite a few possibilities.........Oh, and he, by the way, is.....a CAT! Definitely worth a read but won't tax your brain too much so it was perfect for my bedtime reading when I want to wind down rather wind up.

The only reason I haven't given this a 5 star rating is because it didn't fall in my CPID category, (Couldn't Put It Down), but that may be different for other readers. With this one, I was quite content to leave it purely for my bedtime reading but did look forward to getting on with it each night.

BaByliss 2082CU Pro 235 Hair Styler
BaByliss 2082CU Pro 235 Hair Styler

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 24 Jun 2013
I purchased these straighteners when they were on what seemed like a really good deal, because for ages, I'd been promising myself a pair of the GHD ones but didn't want to part with soooo much cash just to straighten my hair. Call me tight, you won't be the first lol.

I've had 2 previous pairs of full size straighteners,(also have a pair of Hello KItty mini travel ones also by Babyliss and they're great too), starting with a pair of EXTREMELY cheap, but effective and certainly useable, value ones just to see if I would actually like, (or could be bothered), straightening my wild long hair. Got on fine with those but they did take so very long to heat up and even then I'd have to go over each section up to 4 times to get the desired effect, so then I invested a few more pounds to get a pair of ever so slightly more expensive ones, (but still really cheap). Fine again but their light never stopped flashing to tell me it was up to the highest heat no matter how long they were on for so I needed a half decent pair and these Babyliss ones caught my eye.

Loved them from the get go. The ceramic plates are indeed, longer than any of my previous straighteners and their light does stop flashing once they're reached whatever temperature you've selected, and you have quite a choice with numbers up to 20!!! I find that number 14 does my fairly thick hair perfectly and with only one go on each section making straightening my hair a much speedier exercise for which my husband is very grateful lol.

The heat pad that comes with it is suitable and serviceable and allows you to still store the 3m length of cable and plug inside if you need to but it's just not that.......pretty, (plain black), so but I have to confess that I'm using my pink heat pad and storage bag that I got from Avon when I had my first pair of straighteners because it's a perfect fit even with the 25% extra length and it zips up nicely.

My only niggle would be that mine don't heat up to maximum temperature in the 15 seconds stated but since they are up to temperature and stop flashing by 32 seconds,(yes boring I know......I've actually timed them lol), I'm not going to complain about it lol. Considering the time I'm saving being able to do wider sections of hair soooooo much faster with these anyway, it's a swings and roundabouts scenario.

I'm reallllly glad they have the automatic cut out, (albeit after a fairly long 72 minutes), because I have ONCE accidentally left my old straighteners ON and gone out and forgotten about them......oops! Thankfully, no harm done since my husband spotted them sitting on their heat pad and still flashing shortly after I'd gone out and was able to unplug them, but he'll never let me forget this of course.

I absolutely love these pretty and functional straighteners that do just what I need them to and I haven't even tried the curling thing with them yet. Another pleasure to discover one day when I fancy not being so straight laced lol. I'd highly recommend them.

Fifteen Minutes to Live
Fifteen Minutes to Live

5.0 out of 5 stars More please......and soon!!!!, 24 Jun 2013
I downloaded this as a freeby yesterday whilst trying to decide which of my thousand and odd already in my Kindle library, I wanted to read next. The synopsis sounded as if it would be something I'd quite enjoy and so I started reading it when I went to bed, only intending to read for half an hour until I'd be unable to keep my eyes open. Well......2 hours and 45 minutes later, I was still at it!!!! Then my eyes just couldn't be propped open any longer even though my mind was eager to read the w-h-o-l-e thing, so I had to, reluctantly, put the kindle to bed. But I couldn't wait to finish it the minute I was up this morning.

This tale drew me right in. It sees Carl being visited by his old flame and first love, Jesse, from his teenage years one night when he's 35yrs old and while he can't believe how damned lucky he is that she's come back to him and how she's obviously forgiven him for what happened in the past, (shan't tell you), and before you know it, well.......let's just say bumping uglies in an unconventional location are involved but with a definite twist. This is not just random roll in the hay, (no hay actually involved), and all is not as it seems. Carl can't understand why Jesse is acting so strangely and constantly asking the same questions over and over again. Before too long, Carl thinks he's sussed what's amiss with dear Jesse and sets about trying to help her, but that doesn't go soooo well.........especially when she's apparently.....dead!

No, dear reader, it's NOT a ghost story, just one that involves several cars, a Persian cat, a racoon, a friend called Kit, a school, a teacher, a pupil, a husband called Martin, a brother-in-law called Frank and a brother called Jeff but I'm not saying who's connected to who, oh and then there's a boat! Oh you have really GOT to read this. I only enjoy thrillers and crime stories but this had just enough romance in it not to class it as any kind of chick lit, definitely in the correct category under crime etc. Beverly Barton is usually as close as I come to full on romances and even then they're full of thrills and twists too.

My only negative about this book was one teensy weeny little bit of what I think could be an error unless there's been 2 singers with same name years apart? Whilst reflecting on days gone by in chapter 29 and what had led to their break up in their teenage years, they're supposed to be listening to Rihannon on the car radio but I'm pretty sure she's not THAT old that she would have been singing on the radio in 1976 lol. Minor detail and certainly didn't spoil the book for me, just niggled me a bit, momentarily though because this was building towards the story's unexpected climax. I honestly don't think my finger could've clicked my page turner any quicker without causing sparks!

You know what it's like when you're enjoying a book so much and you're so totally engrossed in it that you can't wait to see how it ends but then you don't really want it to end? Well THIS is one of those and after eagerly trawling the Kindle store for another by the same author it's very frustrating to see that so far......there isn't another grrrrrrrr.

Please write another to equal this asap Phoef!!!! Another author to add my favourites.

Crocs  Hello Kitty Candy Ribbons Purple/Lavender Mules And Clogs Sandal 12948-551-105 5  4/5 Child UK
Crocs Hello Kitty Candy Ribbons Purple/Lavender Mules And Clogs Sandal 12948-551-105 5 4/5 Child UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely gorgeous!, 18 Jun 2013
And great for chunky feet! I'd ordered these delightful Crocs after having to return a pair of much narrower fitting Keely Crocs for my Granddaughter. These Hello Kitty ones just fit the bill. The toddler size 4 Crocs have a nice wide fitting and my 18 month old Granddaughter absolutely LOVES them! Quite a job to get them off her to be honest and infact the first time she reluctantly agreed to them coming off was when she was going to bed lol. Think it's fair to say that these Crocs are a great success and I'd highly recommend them to any little girls, especially for those whose feet aren't of the 'slim' variety albeit they'd fit any width fitting because with Crocs it doesn't really matter how much space you have around the sides.

Crocs Keeley Flower G Neon Purple/Iris Casual Sandal 14603-526-106 4 UK Toddler
Crocs Keeley Flower G Neon Purple/Iris Casual Sandal 14603-526-106 4 UK Toddler

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for chunky feet, 18 Jun 2013
I bought these for my 18 month old Granddaughter in toddler size 4. They arrived very speedily and my Granddaughter fell in love with them the minute they were opened and she saw the 'blingy' flower, (safely secured for little ones so not a choking hazard since they're not attached like normal jibbitz), on the front, just like Nana, (me), wears in all of her Crocs. However, she never got to try them out because when my daughter tried to put them on her, they just wouldn't go on. Granddaughter's cursed with chunky feet, (can't think WHO she's inherited those from lol), and this gorgeous style of Crocs were just too narrow and this is the ONLY reason I haven't felt I could give them the full 5 stars. The returns and refund process couldn't have been easier and totally stress free so I was able to immediately order a different, (wider), style for my Granddaughter without being out of pocket for more than a day. Excellent service. Just a shame that this style hadn't fitted because they were gorgeous!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7