Profile for Miss Cupcake > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Pride and Perdita
Pride and Perdita

5.0 out of 5 stars Sassy, intelligent, satisfying, 8 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Pride and Perdita (Kindle Edition)
Actress Perdita Wyndham returns to the UK after a stint in Hollywood to star as Elizabeth Bennet in a remake of Pride and Prejudice. On the way to the first location shoot, Perdita finds herself trapped in a snow-bound inn with Nick Wainwright, the film's co-producer and actor who is playing Darcy. Nick is certainly handsome enough to tempt Perdita - he looks like an archetypal Darcy - but with his aloof arrogance, he acts like one too. Perdita isn't looking for love because she is on the rebound from a failed relationship, but while she and Nick are stranded at the inn she begins to find her co-star intriguing.

As the production rolls on, life starts to imitate art and Perdita warms to the delicious enigma that is Nick Wainwright, but overcoming insecurities and emotional demons from the past mean that a happy ending for this couple is always going to be hard won.

Pursued by Love is a fabulous romantic read. There are cleverly drawn references that eagle-eyed Austen fans will spot, but it is not Pride and Prejudice updated nor is it meant to be. It's a sassy, intelligent, satisfying story that stands on its own merits. The characters are believable and the reader comes to care not only about Nick and Perdita, but the lively secondary characters too. Georgia Hill gives us great insights into the world of acting and film and you feel you are being taken behind the scenes. The fact that Perdita and Nick's passionate story is played out against the backdrop of Pride and Prejudice is an added bonus. A highly recommended read! Some sexual content and swearing. I did not receive an ARC and purchased my own copy. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

While I Was Waiting
While I Was Waiting

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful storytelling and a thoroughly enjoyable read!, 11 Aug. 2015
A really compelling dual time frame novel that tugs at your heart strings and immerses you in both eras. Illustrator Rachel moves to rural Herefordshire to escape from the city and start a new life. Her new home, Clematis Cottage, is beautiful but in dire need of some TLC so she engages a local building company to carry out the renovations. During the renovations an old biscuit tin is found containing letters and diaries that belonged to the previous owner of Clematis Cottage, Henrietta Trenchard-Lewis. When Rachel begins to read them, she is plunged into a journey of discovery, both for herself and into the life and loves of Hetty.

I loved the hero Gabe, he was gorgeous, flirty, funny and real. Both heroines were appealing and multi layered, and an array of other great characters feature too in what is a beautifully observed study of the joys and difficulties of rural life. The book moves seamlessly between time frames which were beautifully entwined; I was completely absorbed in both.

A thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining read!!

Note: I know the author but I did not receive an ARC and purchased my own copy. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

The Musketeers - Series 2 [DVD]
The Musketeers - Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tom Burke

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 3 April 2015
I love it! The best BBC drama series of recent years and the BBC at it's best! A fresh modern take on Dumas' classic characters, it captures the brotherhood, the loyalty, the heroism, the esprit de corps, the heartache and the romance. Amazing cast, wonderful action scenes, great costumes and sets, superb story telling. Far far better than any other adaptations to date IMO. It just keeps getting better and better, thankfully Series 3 has been commissioned - excellent!!

Say it with Sequins: The Charleston: (A Novella)
Say it with Sequins: The Charleston: (A Novella)

5.0 out of 5 stars "And it's a ten from me...!", 19 Oct. 2014
Another great read in the Say It With Sequins series, this time it's Daniel's story. I loved Daniel in the first two books and couldn't wait to find out more; this lovely romance doesn't disappoint.

Professional dancer Daniel is paired with Meredith (Merry) Denning, who finds herself entered unexpectedly into the Who Dares Dances TV show. It turns out that Merry's awe-inspiring aunt and grande dame of acting, Dame Venetia Denning, has devised the plan to help Merry's flagging career and money problems.

What follows is a very enjoyable, feel-good tale with well-drawn characters. Merry is a lovely heroine; she's enthusiastic, cheerful, enjoys a challenge but underneath all her bravado and wit, she's insecure about several things, including her curvy figure, and she harbours a secret phobia because of an incident in her childhood. All I can say is I have the same phobia and absolutely felt for Merry when she's forced to face her fears under the glare of TV lights and cameras....

Daniel is just as gorgeous as I hoped he'd be from the glimpses of him in Book 1 and 2 :D He came into his own here and I loved the way he realised what was important to him and went after it ;0)

Dame Venetia was a hoot and hopefully she will appear again in any future stories!

A fabulous read. Whether you are a Strictly fan or not, you will enjoy this series.

Note: I know the author personally but I purchased my own copy and was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

The Second Time I Saw You: The Oxford Blue Series #2
The Second Time I Saw You: The Oxford Blue Series #2

5.0 out of 5 stars Should come with a warning - more addictive than chocolate!, 29 May 2014
This Oxford Blue series is seriously addictive! I couldn't put it down. It was the wee small hours of this morning when I finished it, and there aren't many books these days that give me a book hangover :D

The Second Time I Saw You starts more or less where First Time We Met left off. Each book can be read as a stand alone but I'd recommend reading in order to fully appreciate the storyline and character development.

Lauren Cusack is back in Oxford after spending Christmas at home in Washington DC. It's the start of Hilary term (for those who like to know this stuff the series covers an academic year at the fictional Wyckham College in Oxford, and each book covers a term: book #1 is Michaelmas term, this book is Hilary term and I assume book #3 Third Time Lucky will be Trinity term).

The description pretty much outlines the set up so I won't repeat it, but I was pleased to find no meandering back story to plough through at the start. We're straight back into the action and the pace never lets up from there. The style is smooth and flowing with plenty of sharp dialogue and plot twists. Lauren and Alexander's relationship - edgy, passionate, complicated, obsessive - is wonderfully written and the sex is appropriately hot and impulsive for a couple who are finding it difficult to be together yet impossible to stay apart. The Mile High Club scene is a highlight ;0)

But it's the setting, the twists and turns and the secondary characters that make this series a cut above other steamy contemporaries I've read. At one point Lauren, unwillingly cast in the role of confidante, finds herself between a rock and a hard place as a result. I really felt for her. If she spills the beans, she'll let down someone who is very vulnerable and emotionally fragile. If she keeps quiet, she risks shattering someone else's trust in her. I'm not going into any more detail though as it would be a major spoiler and I try to review without them whenever possible.

One final thing...the ending is perhaps the best cliffhanger I've ever encountered in a series (again, no spoilers, you'll just have to read and find out!!) and all I can say is thank goodness Third Time Lucky is out in October. I can't wait to see what happens next!

I know the author personally but I did not receive an ARC and purchased my own copy. All opinions are my own, I was not required to write a positive review.

Sophie's choice (The Ever After series Book 1)
Sophie's choice (The Ever After series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lovely Read, 14 May 2014
Lady Sophie Craigmore has a reputation as a bit of a daredevil. Fleeing from finding her erstwhile boyfriend entertaining a blonde bimbo, she finds herself in the company of solicitor Henry Woodville and they end up in Northumberland, at Sophie's remote childhood home Tything Manor.

Sophie thinks Henry's too staid, Henry thinks Sophie's too wild and so each challenges the other to do three things that take them out of their comfort zone. A highly enjoyable tale follows, with lots of funny and tender moments as Sophie and Henry discover that neither is quite what they seem and romance begins to blossom ... ;0)

Sophie's Choice is another of Nell Dixon's wonderfully heartwarming and touching reads. Her writing reminds me a lot of Betty Neels' work, a much loved and hugely successful author whose books were full of charm and 'real' people finding love. Nell Dixon is one of BN's worthy successors.

Sophie's Choice is the prequel to Christmas Ever After which features Sophie's brother, Rafe, but each can be read as a stand-alone.

If you enjoy sweet contemporary romance and you haven't tried Nell Dixon's books yet, what are you waiting for?!

I know the author personally but I purchased my own copy of this book and was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

Blackspur BB-CL098 Micro Clamp Set
Blackspur BB-CL098 Micro Clamp Set

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, surprisingly strong, 6 May 2014
I bought these clips to use around the rim of my wheelie bin, to keep an inner plastic bin bag in place (I know, weird to want to keep the inside of your bin clean but there you go ;D ) So far, so good. I've only needed to use 4, one on each corner, because they're surprisingly strong. Perhaps over time the plastic might go brittle, especially as I'm using them outside and they are exposed to a bigger temperature range, but for the price I would def recommend them on my experience and usage so far.

Say it with Sequins: The Waltz: (A Novella)
Say it with Sequins: The Waltz: (A Novella)

5.0 out of 5 stars Strictly Hooked on this series!, 19 Mar. 2014
What a deliciously satisfying little read this was! :)

The description and other reviews pretty much cover the set up so I won't repeat it again but I loved Lucy and Max. Both of them are hiding things or have issues to cope with and are therefore slightly reserved 'celebrities' in Who Dares Dances. This makes for some awkward moments and misunderstandings in their developing relationship but like the Waltz itself, this is a charming, touching, stylish romance with a hero/heroine you desperately want to get together. And while Lucy and Max might be reserved, neither is insipid. They are genuinely warm, funny, interesting people you wouldn't mind meeting in real life. Actually, I'd *love* to meet Max in real life ... Georgia Hill always writes gorgeous heroes:D

We get to meet some characters who appeared in the first story, Say it with Sequins: The Rumba: HarperImpulse Contemporary Romance Novella, including one of my favourites, Daniel. Oh my. I thought I had Daniel sussed but absolutely not and now I want more. I hope he features in the third story or I'm going to weep and ruin my fake tan!

I'm strictly hooked on this series ;D and can't wait for Say It With Sequins #3: The Charleston!

I know the author personally but I did not receive an ARC and purchased my own copy. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

I 8 Sum Pi (I Ate Some Pie) T-Shirt - Various Colours Available - Mens Navy, Large

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality and value, 28 Feb. 2014
This was an excellent buy, the quality of the cotton jersey is great and the price is very good. The logo is a winner for any Maths geeks! Highly recommended.

Mr (Not Quite) Perfect (Mills & Boon Modern Tempted)
Mr (Not Quite) Perfect (Mills & Boon Modern Tempted)

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous read!, 28 Feb. 2014
This is my first Jessica Hart book but it won't be my last! I absolutely loved Allegra and Max's story, loved every scene they had together and how they gradually fell for each other. It was just so charming and so sweet! I finished it with a smile on my face and the warm, fuzzy glow you get with the best romances. Read it - you won't be disappointed :)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4