Profile for TheRealEverton > Reviews

Superman: Red Son Motion Comic: The Complete Series
Superman: Red Son Motion Comic: The Complete Series
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Superman for people who don't like Superman?, 27 Aug. 2015
After decades of taking advice from Superman fans, as to which stories I should read to prove he wasn't the most boring superhero ever created, I had given up. Superman clearly wasn't for me (outside of a cinema at least ) and minus the Batman, I wouldn't find a story I could finish without a struggle.

Well here's the one I find the best Superman story I've read by a distance; the motion comic, of course, is a cool watch. I love the switch up we get at the very end and use of the cold war, and communist ideology as both opposed,and equal, to the life lessons of he Kents is inspired. Politics yay!

If you enjoy this I highly recommend J Michael Straczynski's Supreme Power series. Hyperion is a Marvel comics Multiverse equivalent of Superman. Part of the Max imprint (in other words NOT for children ) it shows what happens when Hyperion (Superman ) is taken by the U.S. Government and raised not by a genuine farm couple, but undercover government agents tasked with raising a red, white & blue future operative. It forms part of a wider retelling of the Squadron Supreme (Justice League ) story that is simply excellent.

Skil 6222 Energy Corded Drill Driver
Skil 6222 Energy Corded Drill Driver

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent idea and works very well., 30 Jun. 2014
Brilliant item and the long cord length is great. Where has this corded drill/driver been for all my other builds!

I took apart a 10 year old deck with not a single problem . The torque adjustments are very good and it is a hand lite drill too.

X-Men: Days of Future Past [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + UV Copy]
X-Men: Days of Future Past [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + UV Copy]
Dvd ~ James McAvoy
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best X-Men film AND one of the best "popcorn" films ever made..., 23 May 2014
This will be free of the spoilers so fear not.

The "Intelligent Blockbuster" as they say has a new addition to the list. Ramping up both the Mutants as "pick-a-minority" allegory / metaphor, AND the action & effects, the film manages to make spectacular use of two amazing casts in a way that, for example, The Amazing Spider-man 2, failed to do with just one.

As producer of X-Men: First Class, Bryan Singer folded the Origins Magneto script into that film, which is why that film often plays like his Origin story. As director of Days of Future Past he's made a film that could described as Origins Professor X & Mystique: as Wolverine tries to drag Charles Xavier into his position as founder and soul of the X-Men, whilst, Young Magneto& Charles compete to see whether we will end up with Raven or Mystique by the end of the film. The future of the human race also happens to hang on her path.

The impression you may have gotten from the trailers is that in adapting one of the comic book industry's most famous stories the film would start in our near future and then switch to the past think again. The film masterfully switches the action back and forth between 1973 and the future, largely because the method of time travel means that those in the future remain connected, in real time, to poor old/young Wolverine as he struggles not only to change history for the better, but to undo the damage that is being caused simply because he is there and giving people knowledge of the future.

What pays off here for 20th Century Fox is what paid off for Marvel in their Avengers Universe, excellent casting of the separate films. So here we get the return of the peerless Sirs Patrick Stewart & Ian McKellen, & Hugh Jackman, et al alongside the quite superb Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy, Nicholas Hoult and Jennifer Lawrence. Both past and future sets of X-Men are a joy to watch seeing their differences and similarities in the same film is a real plus. Of the new additions Fan Bingbing's Blink is the best realised and the way her powers are used gives the White house attack by Nightcrawler at the start of X-Men 2 a real run for its money. Speaking of running, American Horror Story's Evan Peters' turn as Quicksilver is extremely memorable and I think Joss Whedon maybe watching this film and wondering if the Marvel Cinematic Universe's version of Quicksilver in Avenger: Age of Ultron (and the end of Captain America: The Winter Soldier) will stack up; I promise you the Quicksilver prison break scene will be many people's favourite part of this film!

Peter Dinklage is, as always, excellent, with his character another in that long list of people whose vision of a peaceful future for mankind includes squashing segments of society he doesn't care for. Like Stalin & Co he doesn't do evil laughs, because he truly sees himself as a hero

Good news If you hated X-Men Origins Wolverine, as this film pretty much seems to rubber stamp the consigning of that to a "What If" story, in other words it never really happened. Bad News, If you loved X-Men Origins Wolverine as this film pretty much seems to rubber stamp the consigning of that to a "What If" story, in other words it never really happened.

If you are one of those people than runs out as soon the first words appear at the end of a film (Shame on you) then you need to make sure you hang around until the very end here as the X-Men's biggest nemesis (no it is not Magneto) makes a very regal appearance 1-2-3...

It's been interesting so far in 2014 as with 5 Super hero films due this year (Captain America 2, Amazing Spider-man 2, X-Men, Guardians of The Galaxy & Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) we had one of the best ever in the MCU elevating Captain America: The Winter Soldier gave invasion of Privacy, Edward Snowden & political thrillers the Super Hero treatment. This was followed by a firm reminder of why so many comic book fans wish Sony would just let Spider-man die and return to Marvel Studios, with a duller than dishwater sequel to an already average film. Well X-Men Days of Future past, may upset those same comic book fans as Fox look to have secured their rights to Marvel's X-Men for some time to come, with their best Super hero film yet and, for my money, one of the top 5 Super hero films ever made. Over to you Guardians of The Galaxy...
Comment Comments (12) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 11, 2014 1:07 PM GMT

The Last Airbender [DVD]
The Last Airbender [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dev Patel
Offered by DVD Overstocks

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst Airbender, one of the poorest films I have ever seen., 30 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Last Airbender [DVD] (DVD)
Look the film is just a travesty, a disgrace to the creators and fans of the TV show and so bad it isn't even worth writing much more about it. There's simply no option for rating it lower than 1 star, so I am overrating it 1 Star.. Watch the show, it is the Lord of The Rings for Children's animation (Yes it is THAT good. Then watch The Legend of Korra. This, my dog leaves better treats on the garden lawn.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 24, 2014 3:07 PM BST

Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs/ Ice Age 4: Continental Drift (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) [2009]
Dvd ~ Ray Romano
Offered by Magic Movies Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars No DD and no Digital copy, 23 Dec. 2012
Sorry, but the picture (and I'm fairly sure the original description) very clearly show Ice Age 4 as being Blu-ray 3D + Blu Ray + DVD + Digital copy. The digital copy is actually very important to us as the kids watch these films on portable deices, also DVDs are useful for taking to other places etc. I expected this to match the picture and be the same as the Rio / Ice Age 3 pack Rio/ Ice Age 3 Double Pack (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy) I bought last year.

Areal shame. The quality of the films is of course entirely a matter of personal taste. Our kids love the series (as most kids seem to), my wife & I not so much; but I have to one star the 'product', which is both inferior (no DVD + digital copy?) and not as advertised.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 24, 2013 10:25 PM BST

Personalised Wedding Anniversary Gift Wrapping Paper - 570mm x 430mm - 22 1/2" x 17" (WRP16M)

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 4 Sept. 2010
I cannot recommend this item and the sellers enough. Whatever I say isn't really going to do justice to the delight this special wrapping paper can bring. My wife adores it, my children felt it was even better than they thought it would be and I find it better than I hoped it would be.

Perhaps the best I can do is say that the same day that my paper arrived I went back to Amazon and ordered some more, over twice as much as I bought the first time!

The service really is first class. When I emailed them about a problem I was having, (which was really me having a `can't see the woods for the trees' moment) they called me straight back and went through what I needed to send them. Better yet when I accidently sent my final request through with an incorrect date, rather than assuming I was correcting an error they double checked the information first; saving me some embarrassment.

I'm already planning to buy more of this special, quality, wrap in the coming months and truly feel you won't be disappointed if you do the same.

TheRealEverton.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic party goods!, 20 July 2010
This cutlery is even better than we'd hoped for. Not only does it look great, matching "pearlised" pink balloons if you've ordered those, but they are actually durable and more than up to the task of being used to eat food. We got these for our daughter's birthday at the end of May and they are still in our drawer and being used by the kids. (Now being the 20th of July.)

I can't recommend them highly enough.

TheRealEverton
Foil Solid Colour Balloons | 18 Pearl Pink Heart Foil25 x 14" Pink Pearl Helium Wedding Birthday Celebration Party Balloons

Terminator Salvation (Director's Cut) [Blu-ray] [2009] [Region Free]
Terminator Salvation (Director's Cut) [Blu-ray] [2009] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Christian Bale
Offered by DVD Overstocks

3.0 out of 5 stars Update! Director & Sam Worthington admit the film isn't good enough & apologise!,, 21 July 2009
NEW INFO.
McG has somehow managed to keep his job in directing another Terminator movie, but at least has the grace to admit Salvations wasn't good enough and promises to try harder. Er..... yay..?

"I think the film missed some of the fun that Jim brought to the early pictures. I'm a disciple of Jim ... and clearly I didn't do a good enough job on that picture and I didn't satisfy the fan base to the degree that I would expect to satisfy them. And I take that very seriously and I'll just work that much more diligently to make sure I do that in the next one"

Sam Worthington said
"...If there was a big 10-ton robot coming outside that gas station, surely we would -----hear it. And I missed that. So I'm going to be a bit better when I'm looking through my------- scripts."

So if you can't take our word for it, take it from the horses' mouths.

--old review---

It's hard to conjure up the will to write a review; it's neither good enough nor bad enough to bother.

O.K so it's not the poorly conceived and badly written T3; but it's just not good enough at all. Why people persist in making Terminator movies without James Cameron is beyond me. Oh wait, no it isn't, it's money. I'm hoping the modest (for a Terminator movie) box office will give the studio pause and make them think harder about the direction they're taking the Terminator in.

1st The TERMINATOR. There you go. The clue is in the title. You cannot, absolutely, positively CAN NOT have a Terminator movie that's trying to be a 12A (pg-13) for crying out loud! It's "Terminator" people are supposed to get, well I guess Terminated, in relatively gruesome & graphic ways.

2ND What kind of world do we live in where McG gets to direct a Terminator movie? Seriously McG? What was the director of Aliens vs Predator 2 not available? O.k. did Uwe Boll have a scheduling conflict. Lord save us!

3rd. So Christian Bale turns down the role of Marcus to play John Connor and Connor's role gets expanded. EXPANDED? The fleeting lip service paid to his character is actually padded out? What on Earth was his role before; making coffee for the leaders of the resistance and then getting killed and replaced by Marcus with Bale's face. Half way through this movie that, mind meltingly awful idea, started to look a lot rosier.

4Th. They've forgotten the whole dynamic of Terminator. The relationships 1 on 1 and with the adversaries. Kyle and Sarah and the pair of them with The Terminator. John and the T-800 - 101. John and his mum and, of course, them and their pursuer. T4? Well John kinda has a woman in his life, but she doesn't really do much; he seems to have a best friend (the utterly wasted Common)so maybe Kyle and Marcus? Nah, not really; Connor and Marcus? Maybe but again it's dull. It's not the actors' fault, Bale is legendary and Sam Worthington is very good (he's obviously the next big thing with this role, a leading part in James Cameron's Avatar AND the lead role of Perseus in the new version of Clash of the Titans

Clash Of The Titans [DVD] [1981]).

5Th. Sense.
not a lot of it about. Now I know time travel in movies can get a bit tricky and leave plot holes big enough to form wormholes for real time travel, but as this is a Prequel so there's no time travel yet.
So why is it that Skynet seems to know that John Connor is destined to become a royal pain in the butt in 10 years time? Also how does it know that Kyle Reese is / will be his daddy? Sure I guess it could have had access to the old police reports and Psych evaluations of Sarah Connor. It just doesn't seem to be explained in any way. Oh and no offence but Marcus is a way better "infiltration unit" than even the T-800 series so why Skynet didn't just make thousands of him I don't know.
I know it is 9 or 10 years BEFORE the start of the Terminator, but the humans seem to have an awful lot of serious hardware. Nuclear sub, tank buster jets, helicopters galore. All a far cry from the improvised weapons of the 1st 2 movies. Sure the next movie will show the real decline of mankind, leading to John Connor's rise to saviour of the Mankind. Just please find someone else to write it. (Seriously the same guys who wrote the lamentable T3 get another chance with this series?? Not to mention they also wrote Catwoman!) As for the way the big bosses get nuked is just so lame. As if any half way competent military leader, let alone the big bosses of the major powers, would send ANY signal connected to the enemy from their own location??? I mean your average, drop out seller of weed is smart enough to use disposable mobiles!

Terminator - The Sarah Connor Chronicles - Season 1-2 [Blu-ray]

6th Nuked the fridge!
Given the fact that the only reason Connor goes to Skynet is to rescue Reese I fail to see how Marcus was apparently going to "help Skynet kill John Connor"?
Finally, does anyone else wonder how on Earth Marcus gets a magnetic mine attached to his leg but NO ONE notices the metal? I know they ask about a prosthetic limb but surely his actual LEG would take the brunt of the blast? AND somehow he gets his chest blown apart but not his clothes over his chest? Sure it makes for a great reveal when we see what he is but it takes a big trip to stupid land along the way.

I'm sure you're as bored of reading this as I was with the film by now, and I'm sure I've been too clever for my own good and the answers to my gripes are staring me in the face but hey, I have to write it how I saw it.

Am I the only one who thinks Terminator films feel . . . wrong... Without that metallic du du, du, du du!? It was quality when the fake Arnold came out to that music. One of the few scenes that worked.

Oh and for the reviewer who mentions Bale and Batman. You're not quite right. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are excellent movies, and Bale is outstanding as Bruce and Batman; however Michael Keaton did a very good job of being both, especially in the underrated Batman Returns. The less said about Schumacher's Batman movies the better.

Don't buy this, demand better movies than this to follow 2 of the 20th centuries finest movies. Films with more depth than you'd expect and a hell of a lot of great action to boot.

Get the Blu-rays of T1 and T2 instead.

My name is Everton Carter.

If you're reading this, you are the Resistance!.

The Terminator - Definitive Edition [DVD] [1984]

Terminator 2 - Judgment Day [Blu-ray] [1991]
Comment Comments (14) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 19, 2014 5:46 PM BST

X-Men Origins: Wolverine [Blu-ray]
X-Men Origins: Wolverine [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Hugh Jackman
Offered by DVDBayFBA

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good action movie. 1 extra star because I love Jackman's Wolverine, 20 July 2009
As another reviewer says it is far from an awful movie. It didn't have the depth of X2, but at least it tried to. In the midst of all that you get some very good action scenes, as well as seeing some other mutants. Gambit and Deadpool did plenty to warrant their own movies (Ryan Reynolds has already been offered a Deadpool movie, as well as Green Lantern) and it will surprise no one if we see Gambit in a movie soon, whether a titular one or a larger part in another x movie.
Best of all the "Easter egg" endings make it clear that as well as the return of Deadpool we're going to get what could be a deeper look at Wolverine's past and why he's the best there is at what he does when he heads to Japan.
So better than X3 not as good as X2 (although Dark knight apart what is really? Wolverine: Weapon X

Wolverine: Origins - Born in Blood: V.1 (Wolverine (Marvel) (Quality Paper))
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 24, 2014 11:13 AM BST

Kung Fu for Young People
Kung Fu for Young People
by Ted Mancuso

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for children, and novice adults, 20 July 2009
The stretches alone make this a good book for those wanting to help their children get in to good physical condition and prepare for martial arts training, either at home or at a class.

Basic moves that form the basis of most martial arts are explained in an easy manner as is the need for repitition and dedication.

Best of all as you progress through the book you'll find that certain moves, forms are impossible o do if you haven't been doing the stretches. Or as I put it to my girls, "you can't do the fun stuff if you don't put effort into the dull stuff."

Yes some of it does come across as a little dated but neverthelass the structure and tone of the boook keep it ineresting.

the games & tools section is articularly useful, especially the changing picture on the tv game. You are encouraged throughout to add your own ideas to those in the book, it has a very Jeet Kune Do approach to making things your own, and not getting bogged down in robotic adherence to any one form of the martial arts.

You'll find youself and your children getting more excited as the weeks go by and things that seemed impossible at the start become natural.

Good buy.