Profile for Mr. C. J. O'hanlon > Reviews

Content by Mr. C. J. O'hanlon

Mr. C. J. O'hanlon "Choolie" (London)

Page: 1 | 2
Caligula Vol. 1
Caligula Vol. 1
by David Lapham

3.0 out of 5 stars nicely drawn and I suppose is an example of historical ..., 19 Sep 2014
This review is from: Caligula Vol. 1 (Paperback)
Not historically accurate. Take a look at quite a few of the real histories of any of the roman dictators Sulla, Tiberius, Caligula and Nero. Their stories are enough to make your toes curl at the shocking excesses of unbridled human greed and sadism when in the hands of the powerful. So I wouldn't have thought it necessary to ascribe caligula with supernatural aspects or to exaggerate the excesses to this extent. Still it's fairly entertaining, nicely drawn and I suppose is an example of historical fiction so fair enough. I would prefer an unflinching accurate account of any of those named above, maybe someone will come up with something like this in future.

Ratios Made Simple: A beginner's guide to the key financial ratios for investors

5.0 out of 5 stars very useful, 15 Sep 2014
Clear and easy to understand for the non-accountant like me. A useful reference guide that I will no doubt consult again since each ratio is given a discrete definition which can be understood independently.

The Rules of Wealth: A Personal Code for Prosperity and Plenty
The Rules of Wealth: A Personal Code for Prosperity and Plenty
by Richard Templar

2.0 out of 5 stars Rather shallow, 29 Mar 2014
This book is mildly entertaining but does not really have anything important to say in how to get wealthy. The struggles of self worth and other psychological problems one encounters when trying to increase wealth were obviously never a problem for the author and are not addressed at all. The book is a list of 1 page long statements such as work hard, don't borrow money, etc. There is little that you wouldn't have heard somewhere else in everyday bland conversation.I was disappointed in this book since it had been recommended on jerrold mundis' website who wrote 'earn what you deserve' and which gives the subject matter a much more serious treatment and who is someone who has come from being deep in debt to being wealthy.

Showtime
Showtime
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 2 July 2013
This review is from: Showtime (Audio CD)
I really found this quite hard to get hold of it seems to be a pretty much forgotten cd. I really don't know why, I guess not many people have heard it. I think it is one of the best albums I have ever heard and I am very strict in my criteria. A true great get hold of it if you can.

Emotional Intelligence: Why it Can Matter More Than IQ
Emotional Intelligence: Why it Can Matter More Than IQ
by Daniel Goleman
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

2.0 out of 5 stars Over rated, 2 July 2013
This book is very good at emphasising how important emotional intelligence is, and after hearing all the evidence the author gives, it is hard to disagree. However there is absolutely no information on how we can improve our eq at all. I consider myself to be someone in need of a higher eq. listening to this just made me think yeah I wish I had some of that, but I don't. If you do have a high eq you will probably like this book because it make you feel pretty smug.

Waltz with Bashir (Valse Avec Bachir)
Waltz with Bashir (Valse Avec Bachir)

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 20 April 2013
I bought this for the great songs I had heard while watching the film. It only has OMD's Enola gay on it. This is not a love song by pil is the inferior album version and not the great song from the film. The rest of the music is incidental film score music which is ok but I wouldn't have bothered buying the cd for.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 29, 2014 8:20 AM GMT

Classic American Poems (Poetry)
Classic American Poems (Poetry)
by Garrick Hagon
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Poetry, 6 April 2013
However these Americans seem to like their poetry with a big slice of Ham. The poems are all wonderful but they are sometimes read with hysterical over emotion by the actors reading them. That said, when we hear poets read their own work they usually manage to make it sound completely flat and lifeless in my experience so I prefer to listen to actors read them. Frankie and Johnny is one of the worst culprits on this collection and is best skipped. It would be nice to have some actors who had a good understanding of the poetry they're reading. Still it is a good collection of fine poems.

Round Midnight
Round Midnight

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth bothering with, 14 Nov 2011
This review is from: Round Midnight (Audio CD)
Don't get me wrong, I am a massive Tom Waits fan, but the songs but all the songs on this live CD are pretty messy versions and only vaguely resemble the tight and well played versions on Nighthawks at the Diner and other albums of that period. I bought it because the description says it is the "holy grail" of waits recordings with just him and his piano but If you don't know Tom Waits just get "Nighthawks at the Diner" instead. No doubt many people will buy this just to hear what its about, but I say there is a good reason why it has not been previously released (if that's true).
I have to admit this is not my favourite period of Tom Waits, I prefer his earlier crooning stuff or best of all his later Crazy stuff like rain dogs, swordfishtrombones, the Black rider and everything else he did. The completists will want it but I would recommend anything else by him over it.

Sheet Music Stand with Height and Angle Adjustment
Sheet Music Stand with Height and Angle Adjustment
Offered by Macallen Importers

1.0 out of 5 stars Not so Great, 17 Nov 2010
I bought this on the strength of the good product reviews, but as i asembled it I discovered it wouldn't stand up. The light pressure I applied to push the top on to the stand had broken the base. on closer inspection the tripod legs are held on the the shaft with flimsy rivets and one had broken and now it is only fit for the skip. It is not well made. It was cheap but I wouldn't buy another one.

Famous Banjo Pickin' Tunes QWIKGUIDE
Famous Banjo Pickin' Tunes QWIKGUIDE
by Janet Davis

4.0 out of 5 stars a great little book, 23 Oct 2010
This is a small and slim volume, however it packs in a lot. you can't really complain for the money, banjo books on the whole are very expensive I find so at around £5 this is a welcome addition to the library. Includes a Cd that has made me want to learn quite a few of the tunes I am a beginner but I have managed to master 5 or 6 of the songs quite well and there seem to be some more difficult arrangements for those who would like more of a challeng. Best of all each page of tab is fairly short so its possible to get a handle on all the songs. Most well known banjo classics are here like tom dooley, skip to my lou, oh susannah and a few amusing arrangements like chopsticks and the william tell overture.

Page: 1 | 2