Profile for dessita > Reviews

Content by dessita

dessita "dessita" (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Polar FT2 Heart Rate Monitor and Sports Watch
Polar FT2 Heart Rate Monitor and Sports Watch

4.0 out of 5 stars when it shows the HR, it doesn't show the time., 2 Feb. 2015
I just needed a basic HR monitor and this does it well. It's very light to wear and simple enough to use. Good value for money.
Only reason I'm not giving it 5 star is that if you want to look at your heart rate, you can't look at the time or how long you've been exercising without having to stop the "exercise" mode and then starting it again, which will mess up your "exercise file" for that session (averages, etc).
My husband's more expensive Garmin shows the time, distance etc all at once on the monitor. This one will tell the time, OR your heart rate. You pick.

Trixie Transport Bag, 26 × 27 × 47 cm, Black
Trixie Transport Bag, 26 × 27 × 47 cm, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent value, airline cabin approved size, easy to get cat in, 29 Aug. 2012
I'm moving overseas and have tried a few carriers in prep for my trip with my cat in the cabin.

This was the only one that actually met the sizing restrictions.
It's excellent value (there are nicer options in the USA, at a LOT more money), but this ended up fitting the bill perfectly.
It's nothing fancy, but it opens at the top easily and widely, so getting a struggling cat in is actually feasible.
The base is basically a hard board covered in the waterproof material, which I wrapped with an absorbable pad in case she has an accident en route (not tried or tested this yet, but hope it'll be ok!) - this absorbent pad is harder to find the UK stores, so I ended up getting one from Amazon USA, the Bergan absorbent pad. Upon receipt, I realised they're just flat sheets of the absorbent pad with a double sided tape in each corner, a lot like the dogs wee-wee pads you can easily get in the UK, so I'd recommend just buying those and wrapping them around the base.
This base is velcro'd to the bottom of the carrier.

it also opens at the front, which is good for leaving open so the animal can get used to exploring it.
Straps are fine as well, there's a shoulder strap and handles that velcro together.
One small pocket on one end (the non-openable one) with a zipper.

The zips on the front opening tab aren't great (if you're in a struggle with the cat trying to get out, they don't slide smoothly and get caught on the zip inner piping), but I'd use the top opener anyway, and those are very easy to open and close.
The mesh is quite thin, my cat is not that vicious, but I wouldn't trust a cat unattended in this carrier for a whole day, they'd probably chew through it! It won't be my case here, so this is fine. If is your case, then maybe a hard carrier will be more resistant.

In any case, I'm really happy with the price and it'll do the job it needs to do.
It's also easier to carry than the hard carriers as you can use the shoulder strap and it's just like a gym bag, so all in all I'd really recommend this product.
Comment Comment | Permalink

HEXBUG Nano (random colour)
HEXBUG Nano (random colour)
Offered by Gameseek

5.0 out of 5 stars best cat toy ever!, 29 Aug. 2012
This review is from: HEXBUG Nano (random colour) (Toy)
I bought another version of this at Clintons once as I thought my cat would like to chase this and I wasn't wrong.
This creates hours of fun when my cat is indoors and it's really funny to watch her chase it, catch it, etc.

The other version wasn't rubbery or "hex" shaped around the edges, though and thus not as durable.
Also, when it hit a corner it stayed there, or when it got rolled over, it wouldn't roll back to its "feet".
After my cat "murdering" it, it died completely - also the screw that opens the cap to replace the battery got worn out and we couldn't unscrew it anymore.

Whereas this one returns the opposite direction when it hits a corner/wall (which is great for when it goes under the sofa - it comes out by itself eventually), and it also rolls back to its "feet" (again, great for keeping the cat "fun" going)

I bought a few batteries because they do go quickly, and this is totally worth it for the price.
Now all actual cat toys look boring and uninteresting! The cat reaches for this on the little shelf and stares at us until we switch it on!
highly recommend!

Sureflap Microchip Cat Flap
Sureflap Microchip Cat Flap
Offered by Online Pet Doors

5.0 out of 5 stars does what it says on the tin, high quality item, 2 Jun. 2012
this is a very high quality item.
I fitted it on a double glazed window, which did require a glazer and an adaptor mount to finish the job, but once done, it works amazingly well.

there are several cats in the neighbourhood and very often I've seen my cat come in and kick the door back behind her only to find another cat trying to get in - TO NO AVAIL!
they stand there trying to get in, not managing.

it's on a window right next to my bed, so I do feel a bit of a draft.
I managed to sort this out by simply taping the top (allowing enough "stretch" for the flap to open), which resolved the issue. I could then hear the tape "unsticking" when the cat opened it, so I now put a strip of tissue across the middle so the part that has the "give" to allow for it to open doesn't stick to the parts, and it's fine now.

the battery has been in for about a year now and still going strong.
I'm moving house now, and will buy another one.

I'm tempted to try the competitor one that programs times etc as the only thing is having to go and lock it at night so the cat doesn't stray in the dark, but I hear the program of the competitor's flap is fiddly and may not be as reliable as this one, so I might just repeat this purchase!

Catit Design Cat Cabrio Carrier Flight/ Airline Approved, Orange/ Grey/ White
Catit Design Cat Cabrio Carrier Flight/ Airline Approved, Orange/ Grey/ White

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT AIRLINE APPROVED BEWARE, fiddly and not what expected, 18 May 2012
I really wanted this carrier to be "the one" as I currently have a wicker one that my cat makes a scene every time she needs to get into it to go to the vet.

I liked th idea that it's wide top opening and all the other features like the feeding bowls that don't require you open the door etc.

First thing when I opened the box I noticed how big it was.
I am going to travel overseas with my cat and I have not come across a single airline that will allow this size carrier.
The airline I'm using (Air Portugal) will allow carriers measuring a maximum of 48cm length x 32cm depth x 25cm height. This one measures 51cm length x 33cm depth x 35cm height and it's very roomy indeed. My cat is only 3kg big so I would easily be able to fit two of her in here. However, someone with a bigger cat or dog may appreciate the extra room.
This is bigger than the other carriers I've seen.
I'd recommend the manufacturer produces a smaller version for other airlines and smaller pets.

Secondly, it was VERY fiddly to put together. I'm not "challenged" in this "department" and find assembling things easy, so this really disappointed me. The plastic isn't totally hard, it wobbles a lot, so as you click pieces into place (which have many random grooves in the corners, so it's easy to miss the actual groove it's meant to go on, or it keeps moving and entering the wrong corners), things don't click into place easily at all. I found it astonishing that it became a two men job, one holding one part in place so the other could click the second part to it, which is ridiculous for such a small and light item!
Eventually I thought that once all parts were connected that the carrier would be fully sturdy and click doors and top openings in place naturally. Well. It didn't.
The front door does lock shut and open easily, but that's all one piece.
The top opening does not instinctively lock to each side easily. Again it has little fiddly pins at the edge that should connect to little holes at the other side to its "twin door", but there are again many little grooves and holes and the pins tend to want to go into the wrong little holes, and as I said, the plastic is not fully hard so it wobbles a bit like jelly wanting to connect to random sides, so you can't the lock it easily.
All this without the cat in.

If I had a struggling cat in it, there's no way it'd sit there waiting for me to work out if the two doors top doors are locked securely into a seamless handle. It always looked like it had something clicked out of place.

I'm trying to return the item but bought it from what seems to be an unhelpful seller now as well, so beware when you buy.
Still no return authorisation sent and will charge £4 "admin fee" and not refund me any postage costs (orignal ones when I first bought it and the returned one).
Waste of money and time!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 8, 2012 3:11 PM BST

43cm Long Reach Radiator Cleaning Bristle Brush Duster
43cm Long Reach Radiator Cleaning Bristle Brush Duster
Offered by SuperGood Deals

4.0 out of 5 stars great for the price, does what it needs to do!, 12 Dec. 2011
bought this to clean inside my very dusty radiators I still hadn't managed to clean completely since buying a flat that was quite dirty to start with.
I love my Dyson and wish they did one of these as an attachment.
All this brush does is dislodge the dust stuck in the radiator.
Fits all tight holes, although it does get "bendy" after a while.
The dust falls under the radiator and gets caught in the brush, it's a bit messy but at least it's being dislodged as opposed to just always being there put.
After that I hoover under and around the radiator, and with the dust brush attachment from the hoover itself at the top.
I then hoover the radiator brush with the main bit hoover head (the one for main floors) over it to clean it and that's it.
Not the most fun job as dust goes everywhere
recommend doing this before you hoover at all as dust will fly off everywhere.
but the radiators are much cleaner than they were before.

Luxury Dual Fitting Cat Radiator Bed Cradle / Hammock
Luxury Dual Fitting Cat Radiator Bed Cradle / Hammock
Offered by Eridu Store Ltd UK - Same Day Dispatch

1.0 out of 5 stars didn't catch on, 26 Nov. 2011
really fiddly to put together, but when it's finally fitted (it does fit slim and double radiators), it's a bit awkward.
my cat is tiny (fully grown, but only 2.75kg, looks like a big kitten) and I thought the sleeping area was too small for her.
it's a bit wobbly too, like it bends down at the edge, she wasn't keen
I think also the radiator I put it on is in a boring corner, can't see why she'd like to hang out there by herself, so that might have been a contributing factor to her not buying into it...
from experience, my cat never slept in an allocated place for her, she just finds a cosy place (normally higher up as well, at sofa level or above (which this bed isn't), window sill with a cushion, stuff like that.
anyway, good idea, just didn't catch on!

Trixie 43172 Jumbo Scratching Post 17  70 cm Grey
Trixie 43172 Jumbo Scratching Post 17 70 cm Grey
Offered by Pet Connection

5.0 out of 5 stars good value for money, does the job, space saving, cat likes it, 3 July 2011
this is a good value for money scratching board that my cat does enjoy.
I have a "pole" style small post in the middle of the living room and she likes that one as well.
the thing with this one is that it's space saving, discreet and does the job.
it's not amazing quality in it that it's a sisal covered board stuck to a bit of what looks like cardboard with a hole on the top and the bottom for screwing to walls, sofas, etc. but the price is fair, so it has met my expectations very nicely.
it has a small pouch of catnip to rub on the sisal bit, but my cat is one of those "rare types" that isn't too bothered by catnip, so I hoovered that up after a while as it creates a bit of a mess with bits of catnip sprinkling off the board as the cat scratches it.

for those worried about hole screwing on your walls like I am, I suggest using the 3M Command damage free hanging strips.
I used about 6x of them (2x at the top, 2x at the middle, 2x at the bottom, prob going overboard as this is quite a light item), but it's very sturdy on the wall next to where my cat sleeps. She enjoys yawning after a snooz and then stretching up with her claws on this board. It's also good for marking territory, and this is by the window where she stares so it's good because she is leaving her scent in an "entrance" that might be attractive to "invading cats".
I guess one could fix this to a sofa's arm or something as well if they wanted to, so it's good value overall.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Crystal Bible Burhouse 5k
Crystal Bible Burhouse 5k
by Judy Hall

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great book of the "Bible" series!, 1 Nov. 2009
A great book - very informative, illustrated book, easy to read and to reference and complete with everything you need to know to get you started or for quick referencing.

The thumblestones are good added value, but it would help if they had their names on... I spent weeks trying to work out which was which. One of the stones was chipped and undetectable, I still don't know which crystal it is. They are very low grade too and I'm still confused about one of them - is it a moss agate or an aventurine? This is a little annoying.
Otherwise I'm enjoying the book very much.
Highly recommended, a must have.

The Druid Craft Tarot: Use the Magic of  Wicca and Druidry to Guide Your Life
The Druid Craft Tarot: Use the Magic of Wicca and Druidry to Guide Your Life
by Philip Carr-Gomm

4.0 out of 5 stars a special deck, 31 Aug. 2008
The cards are beautiful and the book is a very insightful read.
It is a slightly different approach to the Rider Waite decks, this is my special deck, not my everyday one.

If you own the Rider Waite, the following cards are different:

2- The High Priestess: the image is very deep and more mystical, my favourite card from this deck
3- The Empress is "The Lady" in this deck, again, more insightful in my opinion, she is fuller pregnant and has bunches of wheat around her
4- The Emperor is "The Lord" in this deck, a little more relaxed looking man in throne
5- The Hierophant is "The High Priest" in this deck, another thing I like very much, they are female and male equivalents exactly, he looks less strict than the Hierophant in Rider Waite
8- Strength: in this deck she is not holding a lion, but a boar
10- The Wheel of Fortune is simply called "The Wheel" in this deck, it's interesting because the Wheel doesn't always represent fortune, but chance
14- Temperance is "The Fferyllt" in this deck and she looks more like an alchemist with the cauldron
15- The Devil is "Cernnunos" in this deck, although the image is quite similar
20- Judgement is "Rebirth" in this deck and shows a little boy coming out of a cave

Minor Arcana:
There are no Pages or Knights, but Princesses and Princes, which I personally like, again, female and male exact equivalent, not 3 males and 1 female in the court cards

Nine of Cups - in this deck is a man sitting on a dining table with his 9 cups alone, which is insightful because it speaks to me as he has everything he needs but no one to share it with yet, different from the Rider Waite where the man on the card normally looks smug and pleased with himself, in my opinion

Three of Sworrds - in this deck it is not the 3 swords cut into the heart, but laid upright on a three with a heart of stone below it

Five of Pentacles - is different in this deck as it shows a lady looking as if in despair to the fields

Overall the drawings are beautiful and insightful, the cards are very large and more difficult to shuffle than regular sized tarot cards, the cards are also paper, not plastic.
I am currently taking lessons using the Rider Waite so I still find it more difficult to read with this deck but feel that with experience this can become my favourite.
A lovely deck and book either way.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 12, 2011 5:20 PM BST