Profile for Lee R > Reviews

Content by Lee R

Lee R "LDR88" (Scotland, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Dark Grey Pierre Roche Fleece Mens DRESSING GOWN Gowns * Robe - M L XL XXL
Dark Grey Pierre Roche Fleece Mens DRESSING GOWN Gowns * Robe - M L XL XXL

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for!, 11 May 2013
Love love love this dressing gown, so comfy and cozy, and a perfect fit. I was having difficulty finding a dressing gown I liked, size and comfort-wise, so this was godsend. Definitely recommended.

Philips SHE6000/10 In - Ear Virtual Surround Sound Headphones
Philips SHE6000/10 In - Ear Virtual Surround Sound Headphones
Price: 20.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Best in-ear headphones I've had!, 31 Mar 2012
First off, let me say that I'm by no means a fanatic "audiophile" who's tried or owned every brand and model of earphones, but I do appreciate good sound quality and nice bass when listening to music.

Philips has always been my preferred brand of headphones, ever since I got my first MP3 player, but I soon gave up on the in-ear variety after tiring of the often tinny, hollow sound. I discovered the "neckband" style, which had larger speakers, better bass, a more "surround" sound, and were a lot more comfortable (and less fiddly!) and have been using them for several years.

However, recently I decided to invest in headphones that were a little more discreet looking, that I could wear while out-and-about, walking, on train journeys etc. So I decided to have a look at some of the latest Philips in-ear models and came across the SHE6000's. I immediately liked the look of the design, and the Surround Sound feature really appealed to me, so I took the plunge and ordered them.

I have to say, I'm really impressed with these. In-ear headphones have come a long way since I last owned a pair. With the right amount of tweaking the equalizer and sound settings on my MP3 player (Cowon S9 - one of the best-sounding media players in the world), these sound really great. Good, clean bass, nice warm mid-tones and highs, no distortion, and a genuine Surround Sound feel. They also improve the volume level from the previous headphones I was using, and are also really comfortable for in-ear headphones, which is a great relief.

Overall, I'm very happy with these. Take my advice and invest in these great quality headphones.

The Black Donnellys: The Complete Series [DVD]
The Black Donnellys: The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jonathan Tucker
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Meet the Donnelly boys..., 17 Mar 2012
Tommy, Jimmy, Kevin and Sean -- four very different brothers growing up in an Irish-American neighbourhood in Hell's Kitchen, Manhattan. After the death of their father, the boys struggle to keep their family together as they find themselves sucked into petty and organized crime. Jimmy (Thomas Guiry) is a drug addict with a bad temper, whose mistakes often land the Donnellys in trouble, while level-headed Tommy (Jonathan Tucker) longs to escape the neighbourhood, but struggles with his desire for a crime-free life and his devotion to his brothers and childhood sweetheart Jenny (Olivia Wilde).

Our narrator is the recently-imprisoned Joey Ice Cream, who tells the tale of his childhood friends, the Donnellys, to a group of increasingly frustrated cops and lawyers. It is through his sometimes unreliable -- and often comically misleading -- storytelling that we watch the Donnellys ascend the crime ladder through a series of dangerous and violent misadventures...

Now, let me start off by saying that this is not the type of show that I would normally even give a second glance... but I genuinely love The Black Donnellys. It is honestly one of the best pieces of television I've ever seen. After channel surfing late one night and catching just a few minutes of one episode, I knew I HAD to buy the series on DVD. Creator and writer Paul Haggis creates such an intriguing story with intricate plotlines, backstories, and interesting characters. The last 5 minutes of the pilot episode is truly stunning television (I actually had tears in my eyes) and beautifully sets up the conflict for the rest of the series.

The acting is also seriously top-notch. Jonathan Tucker gives a compelling performance as the show's tragic hero Tommy, torn between his desires and his responsibilities, while Thomas Guiry is excellent as limping, drug-addled maniac Jimmy. The bond between the four brothers is surprisingly authentic, and right from the beginning I felt a genuine affection for the characters... You will find yourself rooting for them as they struggle to survive their tough neighbourhood.

Really, the only negative thing I can find to say about The Black Donnellys is.. well.. there just wasn't enough of it. Those good old American TV executives decided to pull the plug after 13 episodes due to "low ratings" (booooo!, hissssss!), so we will never get a proper conclusion to the story. But please don't let that deter you from buying this wonderful series on DVD, as those 13 episodes make for an awesomely compelling, addictive drama that you will want to watch again and again. SERIOUSLY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

So, what are you waiting for?

Come on, catch up with the boys...

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (PC DVD)
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (PC DVD)

2.0 out of 5 stars AVOID! AVOID! AVOID!, 9 Feb 2012
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
After falling in love with the Philosopher's Stone, Chamber Of Secrets & Prisoner Of Azkaban PC games, I was looking forward to Goblet Of Fire, but WOW! WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT. As soon as I started playing, my heart sank. This game has none of the charm or fun of the first 3 games, and rather annoyingly, the keyboard controls have been changed and you cannot customize them as you could before. The other major sticking point for me was the weird birds-eye view whilst in play, rather than a front-facing first-person perspective -- it just makes the game frankly awful to play.

I stuck with this game for a few levels then put it away in a drawer and haven't gone back to it in almost 2 weeks. I don't know if i'll ever bother completing it. I beg you... if you liked the first 3 games, i know you will be tempted to buy this one, but please... don't. Just don't.

On a lighter note, i'm now looking forward to getting the rest of the Harry Potter games (this time for the Nintendo Wii) and seeing what they have to offer!

Harry Potter Triple Pack (PC CD)
Harry Potter Triple Pack (PC CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY THESE GAMES!!!!, 9 Feb 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Ok, so admittedly I'm not a big gamer so I don't have much to compare this to, but I am a huge Harry Potter fan, and all I can tell you is that these games are fantastic! They may not be the most challenging games, even to a novice like myself, but they are wonderful fun, and bring the world of Hogwarts to life in a charming, thrilling and entertaining way. Play as Harry (also as Ron & Hermione in Prisoner Of Azkaban), interact with your favourite characters, explore Hogwarts, complete challenges, collect rewards, even play Quidditch!

I had a great time playing all 3 of these games (though I have to say that my favourite of the 3 was Prizoner of Azkaban), and at this price they are an absolute bargain! If you're a Harry Potter fan, do yourself a favour and buy this triple pack now!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 24, 2012 10:58 AM BST

Notes On A Scandal [DVD] [2007]
Notes On A Scandal [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Cate Blanchett
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA
Price: 3.18

5.0 out of 5 stars One word: Brilliant., 27 Jun 2011
This film is truly one of the best I have ever seen. Judi Dench gives an absolutely mesmerizing performance as Barbara Covett, a woman consumed by loneliness. We see her start an innocent friendship which slowly but surely descends into obsession and betrayal, and as the mask begins to slip, Dench's performance gets darker and darker, exposing the character's delusion and jealous nature. How Dame Dench lost out on an Oscar, I will never know. It's the best she's ever been. Cate Blanchett gives an altogether different, but similarly brilliant performance as art teacher Sheba Hart, who doesn't know what she's letting herself in for when she confesses her affair with a pupil to Dench's character. Both women play off each other amazingly, and their tangled web of secrets provide the basis for an excellent dramatic thriller. The plot may not sound like much when you read it, but the performances give the film so much depth and complexity that it becomes so much more than just "teacher has affair with pupil". This isn't even the kind of film I'd normally watch, but I'm glad I gave it a try as it's become one of my favourites. Dench's performance is delicious....VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

DIGIFLEX Wireless Internet USB Adaptor WiFi Dongle 150Mbps For Windows 7 / XP / Vista
Offered by Digiflex
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little thing!, 27 Jun 2011
This little thing could not be any simpler -- I plugged it into my PC, it installed its own drivers and software automatically, and within seconds it had picked up the wireless signal from my router and I was online. EASY.

Notes on a Scandal
Notes on a Scandal
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 12.53

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my all-time favourites!, 27 Jun 2011
This review is from: Notes on a Scandal (Audio CD)
This is not only my favourite Philip Glass work, but quite possibly my favourite film score of all time. The music captures the mood of the film right from the start, managing to be both menacing and beautiful as it conveys the inner emotions of the film's treacherous main character. In fact, Glass's music acts almost as a character in itself as it drives the film's narrative alongside the actors' performances: we start off with ominous yet whimsical cues, flighty and high on strings, then move into cues with low piano rumblings and pounding percussion as the film's plot takes a darker turn.

Highlights include "First Day Of School", "The Harts", "Barbara's House"... and the track "A Life Lived Together" has to be one of my favourite pieces of music EVER.

It's quite simply a sublime piece of work for a sublime piece of cinema. Take my advice and give it a listen, and also check out the brilliant film on DVD, too. Highly recommended.

One For All SV9021 Non Amplified UHF Indoor Antenna
One For All SV9021 Non Amplified UHF Indoor Antenna
Price: 7.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little aerial!, 27 Jun 2011
After losing most of my freeview channels on my bedroom TV after the recent digital switchover, I resigned myself to having to buy a new aerial. My old one just wasn't going to work anymore. So after a little browse on Amazon, I decided on this one and I'm very glad I did. All I did was plug it into my TV, sit it right where my old aerial used to sit, start the auto-tune on my TV and BAM! There were all my channels, safe and sound. I could not be happier with this product. There's even less interference from mobile phone signals on this one, which my old aerial was prone to. RECOMMENDED.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 22, 2013 4:20 PM BST

Hex: Season 2 [DVD] [2006]
Hex: Season 2 [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Jemima Rooper
Price: 12.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A Sinful Sensation..., 25 Dec 2008
This review is from: Hex: Season 2 [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
"Hex" is a British Drama series starring Christina Cole and Jemima Rooper as Cassie and Thelma, two girls at a remote boarding school who are caught up in the fight between the forces of good and evil.
At the end of season one, Cassie had been seduced by the fallen angel Azazeal, and given birth to his baby. In the process, she fulfilled an ancient prophecy that had set free the Nephelim, a group of fallen angels who are intent on revenge against God by destroying the world. But then a mysterious new student turns up at Medenham Hall -- a girl named Ella, who possesses incredible powers and is ready to wage her own personal war against the Nephelim...
The second season of "Hex" sees the return of popular characters, while introducing some new ones. Most notable are Ella Dee (played by Laura Pyper), a powerful centuries-old witch in the body of a teenage girl, and Malachi (played by Joseph Beattie), Cassie's newborn son who is ageing towards adulthood at an extremely unnatural speed.
Also making a return are the show's dark, almost gothic visual style and more impressive special effects. These help provide the show with a decidedly sophisticated look that make "Hex" almost on a par with its more expensive American counterparts. In fact, the show is often referred to as the British "Buffy," and has gained a cult following despite only running for two seasons. The quality of the acting is also very impressive, especially considering that most of the cast are in their early twenties and, in some cases, total newcomers.
This second season, comprising of 13 episodes, maintains the quality from the first season, while expanding on the mythology and ramping up the tension bit-by-bit until the final episode. The storylines are engrossing, bordering on addictive, and will have you hooked all the way through.
In fact, the only negative thing I can say is that this second season is the last we'll see of "Hex," because unfortunately it was not re-commissioned for a third season. As a result, we are left with a rather frustrating cliff-hanger ending that we will never know the outcome of.
Other than that, I was totally entranced by this show and completely taken in by its mythology and its great storylines. Take my advice and add it to your DVD collection.

Page: 1 | 2