Profile for S. L. Ramsden > Reviews

Content by S. L. Ramsden

S. L. Ramsden "Dr. Samuel Ramsden" (Cornwall, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Eddingtons Drop Stop, Pack of 2
Eddingtons Drop Stop, Pack of 2
Price: 3.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Flawless design, and invaluable for wine lovers., 3 July 2014
Such a simple little gadget, and it does its job perfectly every time. Fits every bottle because of the unique way it works, and I've not spilled a single drop since getting these. And they're so easy to clean. Whoever thought of this is a genius.

Zeon Ceramic Dr Who Tardis Cookie Jar
Zeon Ceramic Dr Who Tardis Cookie Jar
Price: 20.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant biscuit barrel. Fantastic TARDIS replica., 2 July 2014
I'd been looking for a generic biscuit barrel for a while, and just happened to stumble across this whilst looking for something else. Being a big fan of Doctor Who, I knew I had to have it, and it doesn't disappoint. It's big (you could easily get two of the large packets of chocolate digestives into it) with a wide opening that makes it easy to get biscuits in and out. The rubber seal on the lid makes it air-tight (though I did have to adjust how it had been fitted to make it so; a minor issue), which is vital for any functional biscuit barrel. It feels solid, being stoneware. And it looks fantastic, a bright glossy blue with very good, sharp detailing on the police telephone and St. John's signs and windows. That it's styled on the original TARDIS design used by the 1st, 2nd, and 11th Doctors is the icing on the cake (despite a broken chameleon circuit, the TARDIS has changed appearance in a number of minor details over the last 50 years), as Matt Smith managed to supplant even Tom Baker as my favourite Timelord. I don't own a dishwasher, so I don't mind that it's handwash only, either.

Transcend 1TB 2.5 inch USB 3.0 Military-Grade Shock Resistance Portable External Hard Drive
Price: 49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for dual-booting Linux and Windows on laptops., 2 July 2014
Probably the fastest external drive I've ever used. I needed something I could use to dual-boot a Ubuntu Linux operating system on my laptop, as I didn't wish to sacrifice space on my internal Windows drive, and this does the job perfectly, with no discernible lag whatsoever during operation when plugged into a USB 3 port. Copying my library of FLAC music files, transfer write speeds clocked up to 95MB a second at their fastest, and the entire 70GB was finished in under 10 minutes. Just amazing.

Fackelmann Fat Separating Ladle
Fackelmann Fat Separating Ladle

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I've needed in my kitchen., 2 July 2014
Very handy utensil for skimming excess oil and fat from the surface of rich meaty sauces. In the past I've used a dessert spoon to try and do the same job, which always resulted in a time-consuming messy nightmare. This ladle dramatically reduces the time and hassle, and almost entirely eliminates accidental spillages.

Lowenergie Digital Water Immersion Heater Timer, 7 day programmable
Lowenergie Digital Water Immersion Heater Timer, 7 day programmable
Offered by lowenergysupermarket
Price: 14.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple to install, does the job., 30 Mar 2014
Came very quickly, with simple and clear instructions in the packet. Installation on my boiler was very easy - I spent much more time dismantling and trying to remove the old analogue timer switch that had failed than I did putting this new digital one on. Programming it was also child's play. The red light to let me know instantly when the boiler is on or off is much appreciated after having to fumble around with a torch and a magnifying glass in the past to see whether the power is on or not. And unlike some reviewers, I'm very pleased that it's smaller than a standard socket box, as there's little room on the wall of my airing cupboard to put it on. If I have one small quibble it's that it's a very tight fit getting heavy six duty wires into the box (three from the power supply and three for the boiler). But the fact is they do fit, and you can't really argue with the price I paid. Bargain.

Master Class 15cm Non-Stick 1lb Box Sided Loaf Pan
Master Class 15cm Non-Stick 1lb Box Sided Loaf Pan
Price: 7.66

2.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant until it goes horribly wrong., 30 Nov 2013
I've had this loaf tin for six weeks, just long enough for Amazon not to allow me to return it any more. In that time I have baked half a dozen loaves in it, once a week. The first five times the bread came out perfectly, and I would have said that this tin was absolutely fantastic, and pretty much flawless. Until today, when the supposedly double layered non-stick coating delaminated whilst in the oven, destroying both the pan and my loaf of bread, and wasting the two hours I spent making and proving the dough and baking it. The non-stick is manufacturer guaranteed for 5 years, and it worked brilliantly for precisely 5 weeks. So I have no bread for the weekend, and because Amazon won't let me return it to them, Kitchen Craft will be getting an extremely angry phone call on Monday. I do not know if this is just me simply being unlucky and getting a defective tin (because I used it no differently today to any other time), but it is entirely unacceptable.

*Edit* After contacting Kitchen Craft, they were very helpful and dispatched a replacement pan to me in very short order. I shall see how this new one goes, but Kitchen Craft's customer service is excellent at least, and certainly deserved an additional star to the single one I originally gave this.

Star Wars: X-Wing: Mercy Kill
Star Wars: X-Wing: Mercy Kill
by Aaron Allston
Price: 5.59

2.0 out of 5 stars Fails to live up to previous entries in the X-Wing series., 25 July 2013
I've read all of the previous X-Wing books and comics, and I think that the series as a whole is some of the best stuff in the expanded Star Wars universe canon. Perhaps that, coupled with the 13 year wait since the last entry (Starfighters of Adumar, also by Aaron Allston and first published in 1999) meant I came into this book with too high expectations, but honestly, Mercy Kill is a big disappointment to me.

Some of this isn't actually the book's fault, as I lost interest in the Star Wars novels entirely around the time that Bantam stopped publishing them and the whole Yuuzhan Vong war story arc started. This book expects you to have read every Star Wars book to date, so a lot of references went right over my head. Even acknowledging that, however, there are numerous flaws.

The main storyline in the book is very slow to get going, becomes needlessly complicated and bogged down at times, and there are numerous times when the story is written into a corner and a hopelessly contrived resolution comes along from nowhere, breaking my ability to buy into it even as a Star Wars novel aimed at teenagers. It gets that ridiculous at times. There's also a lot of very predictable moments, too, making the whole thing seem a very rushed affair that was written to a tight deadline at the last minute. I know Aaron Allston is a better writer than this, so I can't think of any other explanation.

The whole reason I bought this book was nostalgia for the characters previously introduced in the series, who were generally very well written and very engaging in the older stories. However, except for Piggy SaBinring, almost all of them are pushed into the background or into very fleeting cameo roles. For example, Wedge Antilles is listed in the Dramatis Personae at the start of the book, but only appears in a very, very brief couple of paragraphs in the middle of the story, as part of one of those ridiculously contrived moments I mentioned previously. And some of the other old characters are treated almost contemptuously, with what are meant to be moving and emotional resolutions to their overall story seeming more like throw-away filler, there simply to stop rabid fans of the X-Wing series asking where they are now. The new members of Wraith Squadron feel two dimensional and shallow, in very stark contrast to the way that new characters were developed and fleshed out in the past, to the point where actually, they all seem to be watered down clones of older popular characters who aren't included in the story. The main villain of the book isn't very believable either. Considering the main strength of the X-Wing books is the way it fleshed out the cast of hundreds in the past and made them all believable and people you'd care about no matter how briefly they featured, that's a big disappointment, and almost unforgivable.

If you're a really die-hard fan of the X-Wing books you'll find odd moments of humour and charm, and some of the fleeting cameo appearances by old characters are fun, but on the whole this book will just make you pretty damned angry, or if you're a newcomer to the X-Wing series leave you uninspired and very probably unwilling to look up the previous stories, which is a big shame.

This could have been a great moment of fan service, but it isn't. It's rushed, it's kind of a mess, and it completely fails to live up to its predecessors.

Interpet Anti Slime and Velvet No. 7 (100ml)
Interpet Anti Slime and Velvet No. 7 (100ml)
Offered by PetGoods4U
Price: 6.46

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy if you have inverts in your tank!, 17 Mar 2013
Unfortunately I only realised after buying this that it contains copper, which is lethal to aquatic invertebrates like shrimp, crabs, and lobsters. It doesn't mention that anywhere on the Amazon listing, so the only way to find out is to buy it and read the box. Until now, after I've written this review anyway!

Wasted money on a product that might help one of my aquarium inhabitants but which would likely like many more. Was ultimately forced to use the heat and rock salt treatment to cure my Betta's Velvet.

Large Travel Vacuum Storage Bags for Clothes - 90x125cm - Pack of 4
Large Travel Vacuum Storage Bags for Clothes - 90x125cm - Pack of 4

5.0 out of 5 stars Work perfectly, absolutely brilliant., 22 Nov 2012
I hunted around for a while before settling on these, as a lot of these vacuum bags have iffy reviews about the seals failing or generally being poor quality. These had no review at all, but I'd bought from the seller before (Tooltime) and decided to trust them again. Well, I'm happy to say that all four of mine worked brilliantly. They're easy to use, very well made from thick high-quality plastic, with a heavy duty valve and seal. They're also massive, so you can cram more into them than the image provided would suggest (which is obviously a photo of a smaller version). I currently have my summer duvet, summer clothing, spare pillows, spare bedding, and sleeping bags all sealed up fresh and much, much smaller than they were originally. I get the whole lot in the small space under my bed now, rather than taking up an entire wardrobe, and there's no risk of moths or mould setting in over the winter. Brilliant.

Kitchen Craft Natural Elements 10-Piece Traditional Cast Iron Metric
Kitchen Craft Natural Elements 10-Piece Traditional Cast Iron Metric
Price: 29.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, but not sure it's worth the money., 22 Nov 2012
I got these because I have a Natural Elements scales. So these weights naturally compliment them. And they do the job... they're lumps of metal that let you weigh out ingredients. Nothing more complicated than that.

Where I take issue though in hindsight is the price. 25, at the time I bought them, is a lot for what these are. I'm pretty certain I could have found something cheaper if I'd been more patient, but bed made so in it I shall lay.

Page: 1 | 2