Profile for Ms. Vanessa Wagstaff > Reviews

Content by Ms. Vanessa Wa...

Ms. Vanessa Wagstaff "Vanessa Wagstaff" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Alan Turing: The Enigma: The Book That Inspired the Film The Imitation Game
Alan Turing: The Enigma: The Book That Inspired the Film The Imitation Game
by Andrew Hodges

4.0 out of 5 stars Super biography, 17 April 2015
A superbly thorough biography of a complex pioneer that Turing was. Although the advanced theories and maths might seem beyond for many, I simply skim the details as my GCSE maths doesn't run to that level, but it does not hinder my enjoyment of the book. It just read as such a great tragedy that his early death, whether suicide or accident, removed such a great person from the modern age of computers having brought them so far for us. It certainly shows cracking enigma and inventing computers was a good deal more complex than the film was able to show, so worth reading this to get the whole picture. A man greatly ahead of his era which isn't often easy to be.

Mr. Turner (Two-Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [2014]
Mr. Turner (Two-Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Timothy Spall
Offered by M & L UK

3.0 out of 5 stars worth watching, 5 Mar. 2015
I saw this in the cinema and it is visually very beautiful and certainly as an artist myself, very inspiring to keep me on the journey of art. However some of the scenes are slow, yet 'real' in pace, particularly the dinner table scenes, yes, the death scenes take too long. But in spite of those, enjoy the rest. Brilliant costumes, subtle and colourful. I felt it should have a bit more actual dialogue as Turner had plenty to say according to the biographies in spite of his private nature and cockney background. I can see though that the less he says the more we can impose our own imagination. I think if Leigh could have got more money, a trip to Venice would have livened things up. But nevertheless a good film, and worth seeing twice. I think Leigh should make another one, when he can get a bigger budget but he did well with this. I particularly enjoyed the father, old Turner, who showed warmth and could give the film energy. The deleted scenes were very short, and some might well have been fitted in, a lovely one of Turner sitting under some beautiful big old trees with knobbly trunks. Another of the sea rippling with sunset on.

Sissinghurst: An Unfinished History
Sissinghurst: An Unfinished History

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb book, must buy., 1 Mar. 2015
I love this book, superbly and lovingly written, mixing history with modern perspective. It's also superb on audiobook which is equally lovely. Must buy.

Sea Room
Sea Room

4.0 out of 5 stars A good worthwhile calming read, 1 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Sea Room (Paperback)
I'm enjoying this book very much, an engaging journey around this Scottish isles, when one might think there wasn't that much to say. But Nicolson as often is the case, makes it very readable and personable. Helps calm the mind as well.

Perch Hill: A New Life
Perch Hill: A New Life

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, keep it updated publishers., 10 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Perch Hill: A New Life (Paperback)
A lovely read and a fascinating insight into the creation of the beauty of Perch Hill. Some practicalities seem unclear though, how are they surviving to run it all? Was Sarah's flower garden and books supporting them all? If things were tight why take on so many acres, why not something smaller less daunting? Nevertheless, a lovely read, and I hope this book will be regularly updated every ten years as much as happened since now that it has developed into a prominent flower garden business. My paperback copy did not display the nice photo as shown here, which was annoying.

Aome Tech 1080P LED Mini Projector Fashionable Home Theater for Video Games TV Movie TXT Music Pocket Size Projector(K10, Black)
Offered by Aome Tech

2.0 out of 5 stars no good for me...., 12 Dec. 2014
have found this hard to use. Plug charger does not adapt into white travel plug unless you know the type. It appears at first to not work at all and be a foreign fitting, further emails were needed to clarify how it really needed a hard push to connect the two. When I finally found my way around the menu, the images projected go into an auto slideshow, which I don't want. But although I can pause this, the images are so bad after focusing of course, they look like a very very old bad TV quality with severe bitmatting, even though my Olympus tough compact camera took high res (2mg jpegs) good images, it doesn't compare to an old slide projector. So it's no good to me, I really expected more from the sound of the reviews above. The refund was processed well and quickly with all the postage on top so thank you for that.

Olympus 2GB XD M+ Card
Olympus 2GB XD M+ Card
Offered by BESTIES

4.0 out of 5 stars it works fine, but did not packaged as new as Olympus ..., 2 Sept. 2014
it works fine, but did not packaged as new as Olympus as expected. Looks like a second hand item.

Red Top Flip Case For Apple Iphone 3 3GS Case Includes Screen Protector, Stylus And Polishing Cloth

5.0 out of 5 stars good value and good product, 9 Oct. 2012
Mine arrived very quickly, it only took a few days......instantly it looks very good I chose red, so I can see the phone at the bottom of the bag. Smart and a nice flip out design and a lot cheaper than anything I bought when my phone was new. I don't use the plastic screen protector as the sticky labels were impossible to peel off. But the polisher was nice. It has smartened up my older phone well, without feeling pressured into buying a new upgrade.

Jane Eyre [DVD] [2011]
Jane Eyre [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Mia Wasikowska

4.0 out of 5 stars A close runner up to Ruth Wilson, 22 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Jane Eyre [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
I saw this film in the cinema, it was beautifully shot, conceived and crafted and really I thought Rochester was excellent, the star really, he had the guts of the role in his grasp. I thought Jane Eyre was super but not quite as believable to make the womanly jump from innocent tutor to passionate romantic that Ruth Wilson conveyed previously. Mia was very good, but a close second. Nevertheless I enjoyed this version as the big screen does make the production very memorable for all the reasons others have said below.

Forgotten Voices of the Secret War
Forgotten Voices of the Secret War
by Roderick Bailey

5.0 out of 5 stars superb and alive, 26 Oct. 2010
a superb and endlessly fascinating first hand compilation of interviews with SOE veterans round the world. Bailey brings all the testimonies to life talking to all involved who spoke of their work right from the end of the war until the present day.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5