ARRAY(0xadf46f18)

Learning Outside the Classroom: Theory and Guidelines for Practice
Learning Outside the Classroom: Theory and Guidelines for Practice
by Simon Beames
Price: 20.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Really valuable reading for anyone involved in outdoor learning, 10 Dec 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I read it from cover to cover a year or so ago, underlining lots as I went through, and have used it numerous times since to dip in and out of. It's given me a really useful theoretical framework for viewing outdoor learning, that I've shared with many colleagues in primary and secondary education sectors. It contains lots of really practical suggestions of things to consider which will be of use to 'old hands' and those newer to the idea of taking learning outdoors. Definitely a recommended read!

Empire Antarctica: Ice, Silence & Emperor Penguins
Empire Antarctica: Ice, Silence & Emperor Penguins
by Gavin Francis
Price: 11.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating book that had me gripped for hours, 10 Dec 2012
I'm not really one for travel books but this captured my attention from the very beginning. Its a fascinating read charting Gavin's first longing to visit Antarctica, his journey there, the passing of the seasons in the year plus he spent there and then returning back to 'normal' life. Its full of remarkable insights of what life is like when 14 people are holed up in an inaccessible base in perpetual night for months at a time, and I really enjoyed learning lots about previous polar explorations, of which I was totally ignorant beforehand. It's beautifully written, informative and compelling, and I kept wanting to stop and read bits of prose out to my partner as I knew he'd love it too.

I've found myself mentioning bits and pieces of info I've picked up from the book in conversations with people for weeks now - I'm glad so much of it has stayed with me. The only bad thing about it, which isn't really the author's fault, is that I was so engrossed in the book I nearly missed getting off the train at my stop - jumped out in a rush with book and bicycle, but left my two paniers with work computer and much else besides, on the train and had to make a special trip to Inverness to pick them up from the station lost property... The first time ever I've done that, but Empire Antarctica made several 3 hour train journeys whizz by and that is praise indeed in my book!

A fantastic read I reckon, for anyone who is even remotely interested in Antarctica and adventurous explorations, or for those who doesn't even know they are yet.