Profile for Dulcie Button > Reviews

LEGO Creator 31025: Mountain Hut
LEGO Creator 31025: Mountain Hut
Price: 28.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Set, 1 May 2014
I saw this in America and liked the look of it. When I asked my mum about it she said it hadn't been released yet in the UK. I got it for my birthday though and it is a great set. There are lots of fun ways to built the set. My mum likes the raft and my favourite is the bird on top of the mountain....or the quad bike.

A Twist of Fortune
A Twist of Fortune

4.0 out of 5 stars Page turner....., 30 Mar 2014
What a great read this was. The 3 Pargeter children are poor but happy, living in the countryside with their parents, helping on the farm, and listening to their Pa read Oliver Twist at night....until very quickly their fortune certainly does twist and they find themselves living amongst real life Olivers and learning how to fight for their own survival. The chapters are short, which makes it easy reading and the story is very gripping....a real page turner. There are some laughs along the way and all three children have well defined characters. A great book for anyone aged 9+

The Killing Room: 3 (The China Thrillers)
The Killing Room: 3 (The China Thrillers)
Price: 3.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 26 Feb 2014
I totally agree with other reviewers that this series gets better and better as you read on. I hadn't realised how Peter May's wonderfully detailed descriptions had made me feel about Beijing, until I found myself disappointed that this one is mainly set in Shanghai.......weird I've never even been to China and now I have preferences regarding cities! The characters don't change however. Margaret is her usual prickly self, bordering on self-destruction as always and Li Yan continues to smoke too much. This time Margaret comes up against a rival for Li Yan's affections, which naturally brings out the worst in her. The plot is gripping and keeps you hooked right until the end. So, all is good - roll on number 4.

The Firemaker: 1 (The China Thrillers)
The Firemaker: 1 (The China Thrillers)
Price: 2.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 26 Jan 2014
There was a gap of several months between me reading this and Peter May's Lewis Trilogy and although I do understand why some reviewers compared The Firemaker unfavourably to Fin and his adventures, I've got a feeling that this is going to be a fantastic series. It took me a little while to get into the Firemaker, but by the second part of the book I was on the edge of my seat with the plot and hooked on the whole Margaret/Li relationship. I read straight onto The Fourth Sacrifice which I enjoyed even more. So four stars for this one, but only because book two gets five :)

Dad! Help! Santa's Sleigh is Stuck in the Snow! - A Cute Christmas Story for Kids
Price: 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas magic *****, 26 Jan 2014
I was hunting for a Christmas story to read to my daughter's Beaver group when I came across this little gem. This is a lovely Christmas story with a modern feel about it, so today's kids can relate. The children were between 6 and 8, it took about 20 mins to read to them and they sat in silence with their glow sticks - aaaaah. Another parent read a story too, but several children whispered to me "yours was the best" - so thank you and well done Hollie-Anne.

A Room Full of Bones: A Ruth Galloway Investigation
A Room Full of Bones: A Ruth Galloway Investigation
Price: 2.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Another gripping tale, 29 Aug 2013
I'm not sure at which point I became totally hooked on these books but I find myself constantly wanting to read the next installment in the Ruth/Nelson saga. A couple of people had warned me this one was the weakest in the series, so I lowered my expectations to suit. Great news! It's still a five star read. I understand why my friends were not as keen on this one, but I thought it was just as good as its predecessors, just some not so traditional elements to the story. All the usual well-loved characters are in there, with an interesting new next door neighbour for Ruth. Now that Elly Griffiths has confirmed Book 6 is out early next year I feel I can move onto Book 5....(I don't ever want to come to the end, you see).

Jenny's War
Jenny's War

3.0 out of 5 stars Great escapist read, 3 April 2013
This review is from: Jenny's War (Kindle Edition)
This is not the type of book I would usually read (I'm more of a crime person), but I bought it because I fancied a change and it was cheap. I wasn't sure whether I would enjoy it, but surprise surprise I really did. Plot was good and believable (to me anyway, not knowing much about wartime life). I agree with some of the other reviewers that the characters were either unbelievably nice or totally without any redeeming features whatsoever, which is of course not true to life. However this didn't spoil my enjoyment and I did care about the outcome of the heroine. With my low expectations I could foresee one of those finales where every loose end is tied up in the last two pages and makes the ending seem rushed, but again no! There was a lot settled in the last quarter of the book which gave you time to enjoy it. All in all I would have given this one 3.5 stars if I could. Don't think this type of book will lure me away from my usual murders, but it was great for a change of scene, and we all need one of those every now and again :)

Safe House
Safe House
Price: 3.29

5.0 out of 5 stars On the edge of my seat!, 15 Mar 2013
This review is from: Safe House (Kindle Edition)
This was a fast paced novel with lots of twists and turns. I was never sure where I stood with the main characters as they always seemed to have a surprise up their sleeves. I am very fond of the Isle of Man and enjoyed the descriptions of the island. The plot moved along at pace and I spent most of the time on the edge of my seat. Would totally recommend this book, definitely a five star read.

The Blackhouse: Book One of the Lewis Trilogy
The Blackhouse: Book One of the Lewis Trilogy

5.0 out of 5 stars Real storytelling, 13 Mar 2013
I really enjoyed The Blackhouse - fascinating information about Lewis, its landscape and customs, and such a dark, clever tale where the past is neatly woven into the present....loved it.

Me and Mr Booker
Me and Mr Booker
Price: 4.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, unusual little book, 10 Mar 2013
This review is from: Me and Mr Booker (Kindle Edition)
I absolutely loved this book. It was so beautifully and cleverly written, I couldn't put it down. Sometimes a story can be so well written it doesn't need a twist or a shocking ending...for me this was one of those.