Profile for Karen > Reviews

Content by Karen

Karen "Smog" (Bradford, UK.)

Galt Toys Paint By Numbers Parrots and Tropical Fish
Galt Toys Paint By Numbers Parrots and Tropical Fish

5.0 out of 5 stars A great idea!, 31 Dec 2012
I bought this as a gift for my 5 year old son. He loved it and so did I. As the description suggests, it is painting without the mess - everyone's a winner!! I enjoyed having a go at the painting too. The pens were very easy to control and reminded me of brush felt tips but with a more generous flow of colour. The pictures are fairly detailed but with plenty of space to manoeuvre the pens around so that you can keep in the lines. Requires some patience to complete the picture but you can do it in more than one sitting - I would recommend this item.

Grow A Head Grow Your Own Pet
Grow A Head Grow Your Own Pet

2.0 out of 5 stars Small and unimpressive, 31 Dec 2012
I bought this as a gift and ended up not giving it as I thought it looked so unimpressive!! It was a lot smaller than I had imagined it would be - especially for the price. The grass head itself was only about 6cm high and then was sat in a container making it slightly taller. I also wanted a monkey and ended up with a pig!! I wasn't aware that I could end up with any design and was not given the option to choose which design I wanted. very disappointing.

Kid's Cooking Blue Starter Set
Kid's Cooking Blue Starter Set
Offered by Star Choice

4.0 out of 5 stars A great gift., 31 Dec 2012
This review is from: Kid's Cooking Blue Starter Set
Bought this as a present. Was pleased with the box it came in as it felt more like a gift when it was in a box rather than netting or other packaging. Shop around as I saw this item at many vastly different prices for the same item!!

Rocco the Rolling Pin by 'The Kids Cooking Company'
Rocco the Rolling Pin by 'The Kids Cooking Company'

5.0 out of 5 stars Made me smile, 31 Dec 2012
Perfect for young budding chefs. Great comedy value with the rolling smiling face. Have not used it yet for actual cooking so cannot comment on durability.

Blue Mixing Spoon for Kids
Blue Mixing Spoon for Kids

5.0 out of 5 stars Made me smile, 31 Dec 2012
Just as I expected. A spoon with a smile. About the same size as a tablespoon I think. Perfect for little mixing hands.

Then (Once/Now/Then/After)
Then (Once/Now/Then/After)
by Morris Gleitzman

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply wonderful!, 13 Feb 2011
Wow, what a brilliant piece of writing. Although this is classed as a children's book, it makes a fabulous read for adults too. Although not necessary, you may want to read the first book called "Once" in this trilogy as the storyline follows on immediately from where "Once" left off. I can truly say that the honesty and simple words used to tell this story are so effective that I defy anyone to read it and not have a tear in their eye at some point during the book. Based around a young boy and girl who have escaped from a Nazi train that would have taken them to a concentration camp, the children now have to find a new home and safety in a land and time that is simple not safe if you are a Jew. This book can be read on so many different levels. As an adult you know the haunting truth behind some of the revelations of the holocaust simply described in this book and as a child reading the book you can glean your own level of understanding from what is written. I tried to establish in my own mind what age group of children this would be most suitable for and did not really come up with an answer. The words used are very effective but not that complex to read therefore a fairly young child who is a fluent reader could manage to read it - the question being though is really at what age is the subject matter suitable. There are some quite harrowing images crafted in this book that might be too distressing for some children. Also one of the themes in this storyline is that the main character Felix has been circumcised which could provide proof to the Nazis that he is Jewish - so if you don't fancy explaining what circumcision is to your child, then perhaps they are too young to enjoy the book!!
Anyway, must go now as I want to read the final book in this trilogy called "Now", and when I have finished, my mum is queueing up to read them too. Told you they were a delight for all ages. Congratulations to the author and if you get a chance - read it, it won't disappoint.

The Blasphemer
The Blasphemer
by Nigel Farndale

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok - but not a favourite of mine., 13 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Blasphemer (Paperback)
I purchased this book as it was short-listed for the Costa 2010 award. I often read these short-listed books as they often provide a good read and offer alternatives to the types of books I might ordinarily read. Although this book was readable and in places was gripping, it sometimes lost momentum. Although I admire some of the descriptive work that the author used, I felt he sometimes used language that was too ornate and complex. I am no literary slouch, but I sometimes found myself wondering what on earth certain words meant. I don't really want to have to sit with a dictionary when I am reading a novel!! I won't spoil the ending for you, but it does twist and turn rather a lot - and I must admit that I was still left wondering and uncertain about some of the characters outcomes even after I had finished the book. The idea for the plot, (would you save yourself before saving others) was indeed thought provoking, I feel it just lost its way a bit.

Ravensburger 3rd & Bird Giant Floor Puzzle
Ravensburger 3rd & Bird Giant Floor Puzzle

5.0 out of 5 stars 3rd and bird jigsaw, 27 Sep 2009
Recently bought this 3rd and bird jigsaw for my little boys birthday. He was thrilled with it and has enjoyed completing the jigsaw over and over again. The pieces are big and are easy for little hands to handle. The pieces themselves are very sturdy although I am afraid that the box came to the usual sad end when the lid was put on a bit too roughly and it ripped. Overall very pleased with my purchase and as there is not much 3rd and bird merchandise around yet ( although I notice lots more is due to be released in Feb 2010), it is certainly a must for all 3rd and bird fans.