Profile for Mr > Reviews

Content by Mr

Mr "Mol" (Ellesmere Port, United Kingdom)

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 Classroom in a Book
Adobe Premiere Elements 11 Classroom in a Book

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy the Kindle version!, 12 April 2013
To get the full benefit of this 'Classroom in a book' course, it requires the accompanying DVD which is only supplied with the physical book. There is no way to download the exercise files it refers to in the book.
It does not specify this on Amazon's web page. It should say clearly that the DVD is not included with the book and the fact that it doesn't is clearly a deceit perpetrated by both Amazon and the book publishers.

It pains me to post a negative review like this, as I am a massive Amazon fan and it is by far, my favourite online or offline company. The no DVD thing is NOT Amazon's fault, I know that. It's just that they should warn people before the customer buys it.

I have just purchased 'Adobe Photoshop Elements 11, the missing manual' and there's a nice 2 gig download to accompany the book. That's how it should be done.

On a more positive note, the book is well laid out and is clear concise and colourful. Of course, I am reading it on 'Kindle for iPad' and also 'Kindle for PC'. It would be rubbish on a traditional B&W Kindle.

Who knows, maybe Adobe will retrospectively allow the DVD download?

Showstopper
Showstopper

5.0 out of 5 stars History in the making., 7 Oct 2011
This review is from: Showstopper (Kindle Edition)
Completely and utterly compelling.

If you have a passion for the early days of computing and technology in general, then this is for you.

It's also slightly terrifying, as someone who actually bought a copy of Windows NT I felt I was getting (naively, I Know) a rock-solid, secure 32 bit OS, only to discover, in-retrospect just how many problems they had building it. This OS nearly killed a lot of programmers through the shear workload.

This is one of those books that makes the heart race and I would highly recommend it.

Apple TV (launched September 2010) (Old model)
Apple TV (launched September 2010) (Old model)

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!!, 7 Oct 2011
I'm not going to do an in-depth critique of this device.

I just wanted to say how pleased I am with it and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone considering buying it.

It was very fast to set-up and I was up and running in about ten minutes including connection and routing cables etc.

If you own anything by Apple, you will be aware of their legendary build quality and this is no different. It's very small and compact and feels really solid. Even the small remote control is made of one piece of aluminium and I still can't quite work out how they've made it, but that's Apple for you.

Picture quality is amazing on my 42" LG TV and it's quite a novelty viewing my iTunes movies and TV shows on the big screen as I usually watch them on my 17" laptop. YouTube videos and video podcasts are quite stunning. Photos from your online storage (Flickr) are also displayed in high definition.

Put your iTunes username and password in and you can see everything you have in your iTunes library. You can also purchase movies and TV shows direct from the device.

Although I've only had it for a few days, I've had no stuttering or dropped connections. No loss of service whatsoever. This may be down to my fast cable internet service though.

Hopefully over the coming months we will see further content added to what is available. At the moment there's only a few options such as YouTube, Vimeo, MobileMe etc. It's fine for me because I spend a lot of time listening to, or watching podcasts and there's thousands on there to choose from. You will never be stuck for something to watch as YouTube is inexhaustible.

Garmin 010-00697-18 GPS Black
Garmin 010-00697-18 GPS Black

3.0 out of 5 stars It's good but..., 6 May 2010
I don't often review stuff I buy...

But in this particular case, I felt so strongly about this product that I felt I had to say something.
I wanted to wait until I had actually used it in the great outdoors before writing this review so I felt I would be able to give a valid critique.

My reasons for buying this top-of-the-Garmin-range Oregon was mainly because of the included European topo maps and the intergrated camera which is useful for geotagging photos which can be uploaded to Picasa. Also for paperless geocaching.

The product arrived on time and I removed the rugged, sturdy unit from the box. It felt good in my hands and once I had inserted the batteries, reassuringly weighty. I switched the unit on and cycled through the lovely, colourful screens. The sreens are fairly intuitive, but I suppose it helps that I have two other Garmin products: The incredible Garmin 60csx and a Vista etrex Cx.

The problems began when I thought I'd go out into the back garden and mark my position as a waypoint and to generally see how the unit looks and operates outside, where it's supposed to be used, right...? Wrong! It was a sunny day and I found the unit virtually impossible to read without tilting the unit this-way-and-that to try to read the screen.

Okay, I have used this device on some walks in Snowdonia and other parts of Wales. I have just got back from a walking holiday in Majorca where we walked in the mountains every day for a week. I loaded the Oregon with several tracks (from the Walk! range of books) before leaving the UK and we used the GPS to guide our way, which it was very good at...if you tilted the unit so you could see the screen.

I cannot tell you just how incredibly bad this display is. It ruins what is potentially a superb device.

I know some might say "It's difficult to read any LCD screen in bright daylight" Wrong! I took along my trusty Garmin 60csx and I could read this screen as clear as it could possibly be, absoultely crystal clear no matter what the light levels were. I found I was using the 60csx (I had loaded duplicate tracks, waypoints and geocaches to this device too) instead of the Oregon because I could see it more clearly by merely glancing at it and not trying get the best position for viewing.

The 60csx has a crystal, scratch resistant glass screen, the Oregon seems to have a soft plasticky easiy scratched screen. The screen resolution is horrendous compared to the 60csx. I also purchased Garmin's GB Discoverer 1:50K Maps - Northern England & Midlands for £105 and this is dipayed very poorly too. I can't say if it's the Oregon or the software or a combination of the two. Basically, it's only useful at a zoom level of between 200 and 500 feet. Any closer and you get jagged edges on the map detail.

Another thing is the extremely poor battery life. If you want to take this unit on a two or three day hike, you are going have to carry your own body weight in spare batteries. If you want to use all the features of the unit i.e. compass, camera etc you will be lucky to get between six and eight hours use. On my 60csx I get 16 to 18 hours using duracells (although I know this has no camera).

This unit does not like Alkaline batteries and recommends the NiMH rechargeables included with the product. If you use Alkalines like I do, the camera and tones shutdown (when it gets to two bars in the power meter) to conserve power and a nag screen tells you to use NiMH batteries.
The product only includes two reachargeables so you WILL have to buy more. And although it comes with two batteries and a charger, this will only take two batteries which I suppose is fine if you are only going out for a couple of hours. You will need to buy a charger and at least four batteries if you are going out for any length of time.

The 3.2 megapixel camera is adequate for the job. If you look at the picture you have just taken on the unit, the picture looks awful because of the poor screen quality. Once you transfer it to the PC it looks much better.

In a nutshell...would I buy this product knowing what I know now? No, mainly because of the screen quality. I could live with the poor battery life if the screen was better.
Although it doesn't have the same availability of mapping that the Oregon has, I would go for the 60csx which is absolutely amazing.
I think I may be selling this Oregon sometime soon. I will get a geotagging camera instead and stick with my trusty 60csx.

I notice the other reviewers have not mentioned the poor screen quality. Maybe I have a faulty unit?? It looks lovely indoors though...in the dark..

If I could operate it from my couch, in the dark, I would give it five stars.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 23, 2012 1:02 PM GMT

Word 2000 (MOUS Essentials)
Word 2000 (MOUS Essentials)
by keith Mulbery

5.0 out of 5 stars You need nothing else to pass this exam!, 18 Jun 2002
I own all of the 'Essentials' series as I'm studying for the master certification.
I'm on an MOUS course at my local college and was given the college's own study materials but these aren't a patch on the Prentice Hall's series of books. I rely on the Essentials books alone as I've found they cover absolutely everthing you need to know to pass the exams.
Last week I passed the Word 'Core' and 'Expert' (I took them back-to-back) exams and this was done purely through home study using the Prentice Hall books.
I cannot praise them enough!
These books will be useful even after certification as a refresher or to help compile study materials for others, i.e. teaching CLAIT, IBT etc.
Well done Prentice Hall!! (and no, I don't work for them).