Profile for Margaret York > Reviews

Content by Margaret York

Margaret York "grannymarge" (Lot Velley, France)

Page: 1 | 2
The Quiet American
The Quiet American
by Graham Greene

4.0 out of 5 stars Another piece of modern history, 16 Mar 2008
This review is from: The Quiet American (Paperback)
Despite the death and destruction depicted in this book, like the character of the title, this was a "quiet book". It was good to read about Vietnam before the Americans went in and I'm sure many have no idea of the French involvement in that country's history. Another enjoyable group read.

The Children of Men
The Children of Men
by P. D. James

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting concept, 16 Mar 2008
This review is from: The Children of Men (Paperback)
Another reading group read which I did enjoy. However, I felt the end was a very weak but forgone conclusion. It was interesting to read something very different by P D James. I liked the way she made 2021 feel as though "the end was nigh" rather than over-futuristic; it's quite how I would imagine the world to be once the human race has lost the ability to sustain itself. Well written and it was good to read a book that forced my to use the dictionary for words I'd never come across before.

Watch Out For the Bits
Watch Out For the Bits

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly funny, 16 Mar 2008
This review is from: Watch Out For the Bits (Audio CD)
This man never fails to make me laugh nor tire of hearing his voice. I always think of his albums as verbal slapstick. All his albums are 100% pure fun and perfect in the car.

Half of a Yellow Sun
Half of a Yellow Sun
by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

4.0 out of 5 stars Touching on modern history, 16 Mar 2008
This review is from: Half of a Yellow Sun (Paperback)
For me,this was a reading group read which I have really enjoyed. As a teenager during the 60's, I was aware of the Nigerian/Biafran conflict but only remembered the starving children in the newspapers and on TV. This very well written book filled in the gaps, providing a much better awareness of what was happening at the time. Adiche's style of writing was not over-descriptive but still managed to convey the apalling situation and as Mick from Dublin said "of man's inhumanity to man". It also showed the resiliance of the African people. I felt the character of Ngwu was so key to the whole story and he was the one I felt, who kept the Olanna and those around her together. When I have time, I would not hesitate to read more by this author.

This Book Will Save Your Life
This Book Will Save Your Life
by A. M. Homes

3.0 out of 5 stars Was it hilarious?, 10 Jun 2007
Where do the reviewers come up with some of the stuff they put their names to? This was my first Homes read and whilst it was enjoyable in an easy-to-read way, it did not live up to it's plaudits. The answer to my question is no, it wasn't hilarious but it did have it's moments. I've given up believing all that's written on the cover of any book that I pick up these days.

Richard Novak became an endearing character for me but I could have willingly throttled Anhil. What I did like was the way Richard and his son Ben were reunited. My question is; has Homes ended this story with the intention of resurrecting this disfunctional family in a "what happens next" follow-up? I hope not.

What this book did leave me with was a desire to read more of this author's work and will dare to plunge into "The End of Alice".

White Oleander
White Oleander
by Janet Fitch

4.0 out of 5 stars What you see is what you get, 17 Feb 2007
This review is from: White Oleander (Paperback)
A book that doesn't disappoint. This was my reading group's last read and for once, we all enjoyed this one.

Quelqu'un m'a dit
Quelqu'un m'a dit

5.0 out of 5 stars More of the same please, 27 Sep 2006
This review is from: Quelqu'un m'a dit (Audio CD)
Just bought this CD today having decided to listen to French music to enhance my learning of the language. What a pure delight her voice is, further complemented by the lovely music. Made my 3-hour drive more pleasurable. If you're thinking of buying this, don't hesitate.

Bel Canto
Bel Canto
by Ann Patchett

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read, 10 Dec 2005
This review is from: Bel Canto (Paperback)
Another reading group choice and one that held my interest; this despite being told what happens in the end during the opening chapter. Set in a South American embassy, the assembled group are taken hostage and is the story of how both hostage and "terrorist" endure their enforced captivity and the unexpected unions that take place. Even though the end was a known outcome, it was nevertheless such a surprise. A difficult book to get hold of but worth the effort.

Days from a Different World: A Memoir of Childhood
Days from a Different World: A Memoir of Childhood
by John E. Simpson
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Post war childhood, 10 Dec 2005
An interesting memoir of postwar England and childhood. Although Mr Simpson is 7 years older than me, much of what he has written about has strong memories for me. He writes honestly about a family that was interesting and sad; of parents that were totally unsuited to one another and of a child who just wanted love and happiness. As a journalist, he has detailed an interesting part of our postwar history and I hope he goes on to produce a follow-up.

Motherless Daughters
Motherless Daughters
by Hope Edelman

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read at any age, 14 July 2005
This review is from: Motherless Daughters (Paperback)
I first read this book 8 years ago having bought it because I was caring for a young 8 year-old girl who's mother had just died and wanted to find out what she might be feeling. As I turned the pages, I realised I was reading about my own feelings of loss primarily, as I thought at the time, for the loss of my mother through being adopted and came to understand that loss is not just about losing those who died. Over the years, I've dipped into this book and have drawn much comfort from knowing, I'm not the only one who felt different by not having a mother. Subsequently, that young 8 year-old girl, now 17, has also read it and has found it as equally inspiring and comforting as I have. I went on to find my mother but I will never forget the feelings of loss I had for 38 years until I found her.
If there has to be a definitive book of this genre, then this is the one and should be read by daughters of any age, young or old. Perhaps one day, someone will write its' companion "Fatherless Sons".

Page: 1 | 2