Profile for Great Scot > Reviews

Content by Great Scot

Great Scot (Australia)

Page: 1 | 2
The Complete Works: Essays, Travel Journal, Letters (Everyman's Library Classics)
by Michel De Montaigne

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value for Money, but at a price., 27 Nov. 2013
Let me qualify what I am about to say, firstly by laying aside any real objections to why you should not buy this. The bottom line is, that this is an excellent edition with sturdy binding in an aesthetically pleasing cover. As are all Everymans' editions, I find little to fault with them.
That said, one of the key peculiarities and fascinations of Montaigne's writings are the quotations which are peppered across his whole canon. Depending on your inquisitiveness or academic purity, I find that the one real issue in this edition is the translation then omission of the original ancient quotations (mostly Latin.)
This for me, removes something of the soul from Montaigne's work, and is an essential feature that has been discarded in this translation. The English equivalents are there but, the aesthetic quality is lost.

Yes, I am coming across as rather purist here, but I thought you should know before buying. An index would be nice too.

Returning to my opening remarks, you will find it still a great read, but it might be better.

When the Clyde Ran Red
When the Clyde Ran Red
by Maggie Craig

4.0 out of 5 stars A modern history of the Industrial Clyde., 19 April 2013
This review is from: When the Clyde Ran Red (Hardcover)
Do not hesitate to buy this book. It is a great starting point for anyone wishing to delve into the history of socialism and labour movements in Glasgow and the West of Scotland. Although a bit clunky in places and losing a bit of steam towards the end, the author researches well and gives a multitude of sources which can be followed by the reader in further reading on characters like Maxton, Maclean, Nolan and Barbour, or the socialist movement in general. I tend to think that the author has padded the book a little with later chapters on 'The Dancing', the Clydebank Blitz and the Spanish Civil War. Although these have some relevance to the Clyde, mostly they are not central to the main thread of the book. Nevertheless a worthy effort and enjoyable to read. Buy it.

Where's Wally? Anniversary Annual: Official Annual 2013 (Annuals 2013)
Where's Wally? Anniversary Annual: Official Annual 2013 (Annuals 2013)
by Martin Handford

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, 15 Nov. 2012
If you are looking for an annual for your kids that gives them plenty of Where's Wally scenes to ponder over, then you will be seriously disappointed.
There is only ONE scene in this book. Let me repeat that, ONE.
The rest is puzzle and comic strips.
I would have thought that anyone selling a Where's Wally book would at least have several scenes in it.
Don't waste your money.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2012 8:35 AM GMT

The Quantum Universe: Everything that can happen does happen
The Quantum Universe: Everything that can happen does happen
by Brian Cox

3.0 out of 5 stars More Advanced Knowledge Needed than your normal Pop-Physics book., 5 Jan. 2012
What did I think of The Quantum Universe: Everything That Can Happen Does Happen by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw?

I definitely learned one or two things about electrons that I didn't know and I found out Quantum Physics requires a detachment from common sense analysis.

On the whole though I found myself lost in the mathematics and as a book aimed at a non scientific - or pop-physics audience, I came away with little impression and somewhat slightly disappointed. If I was to be fair to the authors, I would say they tried their best to describe a complex subject, but unlike their contemporary Simon Singh, they failed to weave a narrative which is important for the audience they are aiming at, and ultimately could not explain in the most crystal clear fashion, like for instance Bertrand Russell could, the theories they were propounding.

For the record, I have a Masters Degree in History, so I am no science whiz. I do though, read popular physics books and manage quite well on most occasions.

River Cottage Veg Every Day! (River Cottage Every Day)
River Cottage Veg Every Day! (River Cottage Every Day)
by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall

5.0 out of 5 stars V-Licious, 29 Dec. 2011
This is by far, Hugh's best book. Do not think that by the fact that Hugh has moved towards a far greater quantity of veg in his diet is that he is taking some sort of moral high ground; he is not. Any philosophising that he does is neatly done in a page: he wants us to eat more veg as he thinks we have lost balance in our meals, whilst in general, eating more veg is intrinsically much healthier for us. It is hard to dispute this.

The book itself is divided into sub genres of cooking: baking, deserts, breads, soups etc etc

There is a fantastic range of recipes here: all of them are understandably vegetarian; about a third of those are suitable for strict vegetarians and around another third easily adopted to strict vegetarian recipes by substituting butter for dairy free spread etc.

For the record I am vegan: I have always admired Hugh for his honest food policy of no waste and caring approach to animal husbandry. As a strict vegetarian I can recommend this to both omnivores and vegetarians.

One last thing: the photos of each recipe are full page in colour with clarity of detail, with the recipe on the facing page.

All in all, a great book.

Oxford Grammar of Classical Greek
Oxford Grammar of Classical Greek
by James Morwood

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent little Grammar, 15 May 2011
This Grammar should be enough for anyone in the beginner or low-intermediate level, and for the price it surely is excellent value for money. Very clearly set out, with a decent treatment beyond the superficial. It also serves as a good pocket sized Greek Grammar when you can't haul your indispensable Smyth Greek Grammar around with you.
Great value for Money.

An Introduction to Ancient Greek: A Literary Approach
An Introduction to Ancient Greek: A Literary Approach
by C.A.E. Luschnig

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good as a learning Tool, 15 May 2011
Overall I would recommend this. It can be used as a autodidactic tool for non traditional university learning, or as a class text. It also has online support and resources.
The good points are the abundance of examples and readings, whilst the appendix has an excellent list of paradigms of verbs, nouns, pronouns etc etc.
Where could it improve? Definitely in the teaching of main and subordinate clauses. But then, if your reading Greek you should be buying Smyth's Greek Grammar - the big daddy of grammars.
All thing considered, you won't be disappointed.

Learn to Read Latin (Yale Language Series)
Learn to Read Latin (Yale Language Series)
by Andrew Keller

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Modern Grammar, 15 May 2011
For a Modern Grammar this is an excellent treatment with plenty of readings to aid comprehension. For a traditional grammar, I don't think you could see past Gildersleeve and Lodge's if your looking for a comprehensive grammar for any level, or Kennedy's primer for a more basic but satisfying text.

Gildersleeve's Latin Grammar (Dover Language Guides)
Gildersleeve's Latin Grammar (Dover Language Guides)
by Basil L Gildersleeve

4.0 out of 5 stars The Most Comprehensive out there, 15 May 2011
I would give this Grammar 5 stars, but for the following two points.
1) I own the Smyth Greek Grammar and know how truly exceptional a grammar can be.
2) I own the Smyth Greek Grammar and know how truly exceptional an index in a grammar can be.

Those points aside, this is probably the most comprehensive Latin grammar you will find on the market. There are other smaller grammars aimed at beginners and intermediates - Kennedy's - for example, but they don't really come close in terms of breadth of content.

I would not hesitate to buy this if you want the best out there: just be aware that it requires, I think, a thorough going over to get used to the layout and ease of finding what you want in it.

Recommended.

Greek Grammar
Greek Grammar
by HW Smyth

5.0 out of 5 stars Superior, 15 May 2011
This review is from: Greek Grammar (Hardcover)
The Smyth Greek Grammar is the undisputed heavyweight champion of Attic Greek Grammars. Whether you are using it as a school, university or self reference text, you will find everything in here.
Massive declension and conjugation examples.
Exhaustive example of grammar in action throughout the text.
The most complete and comprehensive index I have come across with clarity in Morphology and Syntax.
My own Greek understanding has grown enormously since I purchased this. It really is incomparable. If it were a dictionary it would be the Unabridged Liddle and Scott. If it were a Latin Grammar it would be the Gildersleeve and Lodge. (However please be aware if I were to rank both of these side by side - and I do own both - I would rank on a scale of nought to ten, the Gildersleeve around a 5/10 and the Smyth 10/10 - yet on comparing Latin grammars only I would say Gildersleeve was one of the best - thus bringing into relief how uniquely comprehensive the Smyth grammar is)
Highly recommended.