Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (uk)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Near-Death Experiences; True stories of Near-Death Experiences told by real people. True stories of those who went to Heaven.

4.0 out of 5 stars glued to the pages, 2 Aug. 2014
A well executed and readable book. The stories were all equally engrossing and, hopefully, true. At times I became frustrated because I wanted certain stories to continue, but were cut short and I was left asking, 'then what happened?' I think this was intentional by the author, but frustrating nonetheless. It's a subject, that unless you're personally involved with the gathering of information, you're never 100% convinced of it's authenticity or genuineness. Overall, it was quite riveting and had me glued to the pages until finished.

The Near-Death Experiences of Suicide Survivors: Suicide Survivors Describe What Happens... (Near Death Experiences)

2.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't impressed., 1 Aug. 2014
10 separate stories, allegedly, from suicide victims. Each story was short and all followed the same theme - kill self - die - meet God or Jesus and get a second chance at life. As you can see from the 2 stars, I didn't like it. Not because of the subject matter, but because the stories were so short that they lacked the detail that you would expect to make them seem reasonably credible. Now I may be ignorant of various laws, but why would you put in the following legal disclaimer;
'any perceived slight of specific people or organizations, and any resemblance to characters living, dead or otherwise, real or fictitious is purely unintentional.'
I could imagine putting this in if it was a fictional piece but not non-fiction. I'm sure some lawyer out there may wish to comment.

The Afterlife Unveiled: What the Dead are Telling Us About Their World
The Afterlife Unveiled: What the Dead are Telling Us About Their World

3.0 out of 5 stars an overview, 29 July 2014
A sort of objective review of other books - so nothing new or startling here if you read these 'afterlife' books. It was structured well and easy to read. I had it finished in a matter of hours. It you're looking for an overview on the subject, then this would be a good place to start. Otherwise, maybe it would best to actually read the books referred to by the author for more depth.

You are Not So Smart
You are Not So Smart

5.0 out of 5 stars Good holiday read, 28 Jun. 2014
I downloaded this into my kindle to read on holiday and it didn't disappoint. It falls into the popular psychology type department, offering us insight into numerous beliefs and misconceptions we hold about the world. Easy to read and well referenced, with 48 individual chapters exploring these errors of thinking and how we often delude ourselves. If you enjoy layman psychology books, then this offers a relaxing, interesting and enjoyable read.

Aqua Sphere Kayenne Goggles
Aqua Sphere Kayenne Goggles
Price: £10.08 - £67.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job well, 28 Jun. 2014
Got these as a present via amazon. Kept the water out throughout my sea swims. Were generally comfortable, although after about 30/40minutes, felt pressure/discomfort on the bridge of my nose. I seem to have that problem with most goggles, so wont deduct a star for that. Otherwise, I can't complain as they're the best goggles I've used to-date.

Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens
Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens
Offered by Berkshire Retail

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty decent lens, 10 Oct. 2013
I use several lenses which have variable focal lengths, but this is my only prime lens. I wasn't sure if I made the right choice buying this but as it was fairly inexpensive I thought I'd give it a go. I'm somewhat neurotic when it comes to sharpness and tend to scrutinize the pixels when examining my shots. It's a bit flimsy feeling and doesn't have IS and I was wondering whether to give it 4 or 5 star rating. I went for 5 because I was aware of it's limitations before purchase and bought it with that in mind. My main reason is that compared to lenses I have costing 6 or 7 times as much, this is an absolute cracker when it comes to sharpness and beats the other lenses hands-down. I haven't noticed any particular defects regarding distortions, and this lens has taught me that if you want quality, get prime lenses. For price and subsequent quality you can't go wrong having this in your kit bag.

Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Lens for Canon
Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Lens for Canon

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, 15 Sept. 2013
Bought this on the strength of customer reviews. I use this with the canon650. Seems reasonably built. Doesn't suffer from lens creep and the auto-focus is pretty silent albeit a tad in the slow side and is prone to hunt in less than perfect lighting conditions. The VC seems to do its job well when I compared hand-held shots with it on and off. The auto focus ring is a bit of a nuisance, it's at the bottom of the lens and I tend to accidently hit it when zooming. I don't have the same issues when the ring is at the front of lens barrels . My main interest is sharpness. At the lower end 70- 200mm, it's pretty sharp and I've been pleased with the results. After that, it tends to become quite soft. And for me, that's a major issue. Why buy a 300mm zoom lens when it can perform at the length you're most likely to use it at. I compared this lens with my canon 55-250mm. Same settings, side by side. From what I can see, at 250mm the canon beats it hands down for sharpness at this focal length. So, I'll probably sell this at some point and buy the canon 70-300mm which is roughly the same price. Sorry canon, all is forgiven and I'm coming back.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 29, 2014 12:19 PM BST

Maxsima - 1352mAh Battery Pack LP-E8, LPE8 for Canon EOS 700D, 650D, 600D 550D, EOS Rebel T2i, Kiss X4, T3i, T4i, T5i
Offered by Cameramarket UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Alternative to canon, 4 July 2013
No problems so far. Have used this several times. Seems to do the job as stated and much cheaper than the canon alternative.

Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

3.0 out of 5 stars jack of all, master of none, 29 Jun. 2013
I bought this for a forthcoming holiday with the intention of using the one lens. When it arrived, it was heavier than I imagined, not that that's a complaint. It annoys me when people complain because a lens is a pound or two heavier than some other lens. Eat some porridge and do a few press-ups and the lens will, as if by magic, get lighter. It also seemed well put together.
It's a sort of jack of all lens, giving a decent wide angle for scenery and packs a useful zoom when you want to get a little closer without getting off your backside, framing or when trying to remain unobtrusive. The IS is a bonus when shooting hand held, which I mostly do when on holiday. There is also a lens extension lock which is useful. I noticed that creep is most pronounced between 24-80mm focal length. Otherwise, you wouldn't notice. So far I was pretty pleased with the lens.
However - yes there is always a however - it did have a few draw-backs which made me wonder why I had purchased this in the first instance. Bear in mind, this is the opinion of a keen amateur. The thread size is larger than my other lens's, which means I can't connect my Raynox magnifier for close-up photography - and there I was only hoping to pack one lens for my holiday. There is noticeable chromatic aberration and barrel distortions: pin cushion and barrel. I'm not an expert with comparison charts to say how bad this is. What I can say is that I can see it with my naked-eye, and I don't have the same complaints with my 50mm prime lens or 55-250mm telephoto lens. In fact, I don't even see these problems to the same extent with my 18-55 kit lens. I also enjoy taking video with the DSLR. I'm using the canon 650d (did I not say that). The quality of video using these crop sensors is fantastic, but in AF this lens is not the one to use. It's pretty noisy and slow for video. Best bet would be get an STM lens if video's your passion. Ok, I appreciate you have to sacrifice a bit of quality for the broader focal lengths, so I'll accept that this is just a `jack-of-all' lens and master of none.
If you don't care about top quality but require versatility, then this lens would suffice and you'd be very happy with it. It is a good compromise lens...and there's always Photoshop to sort out most of the problems I've mentioned. However, next time I go on vacation, I'm taking a bigger bag.

The New Conspiracy Handbook:  From GI Joe to Lady Gaga, 25 Truths You Won't Find on Wikipedia
The New Conspiracy Handbook: From GI Joe to Lady Gaga, 25 Truths You Won't Find on Wikipedia

5.0 out of 5 stars a good yarn, 12 May 2013
Thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Well written and to the point. Each chapter lets us view various past incidents from an alternative paradigm - the paradigm of conspiracy theorists. Of course, his well structured explanations may all be untrue but were thought provoking non-the-less. His assertions are made without much evidence to prove his arguments; his 'truth' is the conclusions that occur following his premise. If you're looking for a quick read and interested with conspiracy, then this should serve well.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3