Profile for EB > Reviews

Interesting but lacks depth

Creative EP-630 Noise Isolating Earphones - Black
Creative EP-630 Noise Isolating Earphones - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 4 Nov. 2014
Looks good, well packaged and sounds great.

Seagate STCG3000200 Central 3TB Personal Cloud network attached storage - NAS
Seagate STCG3000200 Central 3TB Personal Cloud network attached storage - NAS

5.0 out of 5 stars Just great. Provides a family network and made our computer ..., 4 Nov. 2014
Just great. Provides a family network and made our computer life so much easier.

The Dinner
The Dinner
by Herman Koch

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many unlikable characters, 4 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Dinner (Paperback)
I found the genre quiet interesting. Parents – how far they would go to protect their children. Relationships – how fragile they can be. Anger – how it can lead to downfall. Personalities – how one can be fooled by them.
I liked the way over-rated restaurants and pompous managers/restaurateurs were portrait.
The style of writing was also interesting. Writing in first person; it was basic, simple and raw.
However, I found the translation not at all good. There were far too many words and phrases that just didn’t sound right: the cafe restaurant for regular people; chew the fat; training wheels; measuring stick; corn salad; I tried to be as normally as ....There is just too much word for word translation.
Also, as far as I know there are only 12 provinces in the Netherlands not 13.
My overall verdict: it’s an OK book but I fail to see how it could have become so popular. Unlikable characters with awful behaviour and a plot that is unbelievable. It is in no way ‘ Engrossing’ as the Daily Mail proclaims or ‘Gripping’ according to the Sunday Times.

Verbrechen: Stories (German Edition)
Verbrechen: Stories (German Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars Short but very interesting, 9 Dec. 2012
Ferdinand von Schirach is a defence lawyer and has represented people of all walks of live. This book is a collection of his cases. The variety of crimes and of the people, who have committed them, is amazing. There is the village doctor who is married to a cruel and domineering wife who after a life of abuse finally cannot carry on in this marriage. Or the young girl who leaves a war torn country in search of peace and freedom, ends up as a prostitute but finds a homeless person to take care of only to end up in trouble. Every case is described with much feeling and although some of the murders are horrific, von Schirach goes in to the defendant's history to show what lead to the tragic events. I liked his style of writing because it is clear and without unnecessary fillers. He explains the German legal system in easy to understand language, he explains his approach about defending his clients, he doesn’t gives his opinion on what his clients have done but leaves the judging to the court. A well written and compiled book of short stories.

iBoutique Retractable IB64GUSB2 64GB USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Elite Flash Drive - Jet Black
Offered by SechsiTech

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done iBoutique, 9 Nov. 2012
Thank you iBoutique. The product arrived on time and with enough information for me to plug it in and start straight away. This was the third 64Gb Flash Drive I had tried out (the other two didn't work and were returned)and I was so pleased when it worked first time round and accepted the music downloads from my computer. I can now enjoy all of my music in the car without any problems - well done.

Solerebels Men's Xodus Liberation Series Blue Slip On Xodus_Lib_Ser1_M72 7 UK
Solerebels Men's Xodus Liberation Series Blue Slip On Xodus_Lib_Ser1_M72 7 UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Glue Shoes, 8 Nov. 2012
The shoes were received on 24 Oct 2012. The shoes are good looking and comfortable too. They were bought primarily as slippers and as such were used regularly in the house up until two days ago when I inadvertently stepped in some tile cleaning fluid in the kitchen. The soles were cleaned of the fluid and that was the end of it, or so I thought. About an hour later I was walking through the kitchen again and realized that my shoes were sticking to the tiles. On inspection I saw that the rubber soles had been melted by the floor cleaner and were creating such a mess that I was banned from wearing them in the house. So my "glue shoes" and I now spend a lot of time in the garage together. I don't think I'll bother with shoes that have soles made from recycled tyres again.