Profile for The usual suspect > Reviews

Content by The usual suspect
Top Reviewer Ranking: 863

The usual suspect (2nd aisle on the right, top shelf)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-24
Seven [Blu-ray] [1995] [Region Free]
Seven [Blu-ray] [1995] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Morgan Freeman
Price: 6.90

5.0 out of 5 stars BLU-RAY REVIEW, 6 Oct 2010
Quite possibly my favourite director at the moment, Se7en is probably his number 2 for me (Fight Club number 1). An epic movie that spawned a few wannabe's that simply utterly failed. As I watched the BD, I was quite astounded by just how much of the diaglogue has managed to lodge itself permenantly in my brain. I haven't seen it in years, yet I found myself reeling off the script quite happily. I must have seen it too many times! The maverick Pitt, legend of Freeman and Kevin Spacey in his golden era all coming together for one of cinema's greatest finale's.

As many reviewers have already said (referring to the movie itself), it's very dark and in order to create this atmosphere, lots of rain, no sunshine, plenty of close confines shots. This to me suggested that the BD was going to be a very grainy affair possible not worth replacing the DVD for. I was wrong - the grain level is low. Detail level isn't magnificient but very acceptable over the DVD. Audiowise I've always enjoyed the use of surround in Se7en, the VHS using Dolby (remember them?)Pro-Logic was great, Dolby Digital 5.1 on the DVD took it to another level with the rain effects and now the DTS-HD more adds to the DD soundtrack. It's not the same level of leap that DD from PL was but I'll take it all the same.

Overall I'll give the transfer 7.5/10, the product still gets a 5/5 though since it is Se7en which is a masterpiece.

Languages: English DTS-HD Master; German DD 5.1; Thai DD 5.1; Brazilian Portuguese 2.0; Castillian Spanish 2.0; Latin spanish 2.0;

Subs: Brazilian Portuguese; Castillian Spanish; Complex Chinese; German; Greek; Hebrew; Korean; Latin Spanish; Thai; Turkish

Region Free
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 15, 2010 6:21 PM GMT

Rec 1 [Blu-ray] [2007]
Rec 1 [Blu-ray] [2007]
Dvd ~ Manuela Velasco
Price: 6.55

4.0 out of 5 stars BLU-RAY REVIEW, 2 Oct 2010
This review is from: Rec 1 [Blu-ray] [2007] (Blu-ray)
I've seen Rec around several times so I finally took the plunge a bought it on the strength of the comments on the cover.

Not a bad short story actually. Not fantastic either but I'm happy enough for it to have a place in my collection. Basically, it's another amateur filming style chiller ala Cloverfield, Paranormal Activity, Blairwitch only this time, it's two person documentary team trying to follow firemen on a typical night. Of course, it goes a bit wrong and zombies get involved. It happens all the time...

It is quite scary in places but I didn't find it had the same full-on effect that Paranormal Activity had on me. Again, watching this in a darkened room too. It doesn't quite live up to the 'The scariest film ever' claim from the ever fantastic, News of the World, in my book.

On the Blu-Ray front, picture quality is good but the real strength comes from the use of HD audio, it's fantastic. Very immersive.

Subs: English

Languages: Spanish DTS-HD Master 5.1
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2012 4:14 PM BST

Sony WLANWB1 Bluetooth Adaptor for NWS700 MP3 Player
Sony WLANWB1 Bluetooth Adaptor for NWS700 MP3 Player

5.0 out of 5 stars X1050 to WLANB1 works, 2 Oct 2010
Great! I found out that my A829B didn't agree with too much sweat in the gym so now that I've replaced it with the x series I needed to get wireless back. In steps the WLANB1 at a ridiculous price on Amazon.

Everything works with the DR-BT21G headphones as before. I had a bit of trouble getting the pairing to work but once it's done, there shouldn't be any need for me to go through that again.

Also, I'm finding that the rubber cover that I have the EASYi, gets in the way a bit and pushes the adaptor out too easily wo I'll be opening out the hole on the covering a little.

Psycho - 50th Anniversary Special Edition Steelbook [Blu-ray] [1960] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Alfred Hitchcock
Offered by thebookcommunity
Price: 53.97

3.0 out of 5 stars Classic Hitchcock but...., 12 Sep 2010
...I just don't see what the BD version brings to the table.

I'll be torn to shreds for uttering this (comments welcome) but Psycho is a piece of legendary cinema that was made on a low budget in B&W. No matter how much technology is thrown at it, it's just not adding to the experience for me. I loved it on VHS and eagerly purchased the DVD when became available because DVD was just so much more convenient. Now I have it on BD and the thing is I'm not seeing the massive step up in technology that the transition from VHS to DVD gave.
Sure the picture quality is good and the new audio is an improvement over the original mono. If you don't own a copy of Psycho and have a BD player then go with this but if you already have it on DVD and aren't particularly interested in the plethora of extra's seen here, then I wouldn't bother with jumping ship.
If I found someone who hadn't seen it I really don't think it would make any difference which format I showed it to them on. The result would be the same - they would enjoy it.

Languages: English DTS HD 5.1, Italian, Spanish, French, German, Japanese
Subs: French, German, Italian, Spanish, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Greek, Norwegian, Portuguese, Swedish, Japanese, Cantonese, Trad Mandarin, Korean.
Comment Comments (13) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 15, 2013 10:27 AM GMT

Mafia II (PC DVD)
Mafia II (PC DVD)
Offered by Startup Media
Price: 6.37

4.0 out of 5 stars GTA polished up, 28 Aug 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mafia II (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I had a choice of two versions of Mafia 2 the PS3 or the PC, thankfully I went with the PC version. It's a stunning game to play. I was blown away by the sprawling world that they created for GTA IV but Mafia II takes it to another level. Far more detailed and far more realistic when it comes to driving around.

When it comes to the actual game, unfortunately from what I've seen so far, they really don't make use of the wonderful world that we've been given to play in. There must have been two developement sections and the one that did the gameplay didn't see what the world developement section had done until it was too late.
We can only wish for add-ons/DLC in the near future.

At the moment, I've played 4 hours worth and the game is very good as an interactive movie. Shooting, driving and punch-ups all in unique settings throughout. I wouldn't say the gameplay is quite as good as GTA IV but it's close enough to warrant being a very good rival. Driving around is great fun in periodic vehicles that drive the way the probably did. Adding snow and ice to the equation certainly has the correct effect too.
The story is good too (less cheese) and I think I'm going to be digging out The Godfather trilogy out of my collection for an airing now.

I'm running it with no major issues on Win7 64bit. ATI 4890.
Installation takes quite a while and I did fear that something had gone wrong once the 'Preparing to run for the first time' stage is reached. It sits there doing nothing for at least 5 mins! This maybe a DX10 issue on a Win7 machine (it's trying to install DX9).
There appears to be a minor bug when exiting the game where the desktop remains dim. There is a suggested fix but I'm finding it easier to log-off and back on again in order to recover.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 29, 2010 4:32 PM BST

Logitech MX Wireless Performance Mouse (Tracks on Glass)
Logitech MX Wireless Performance Mouse (Tracks on Glass)
Price: 46.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Class, 8 Aug 2010
As an owner of the MX Revolution, I toyed with buying this when it first came out but the price put me off. The changes didn't justify the cost for me. Now it's come down in price, I've cashed in for no reason other than the USB charging.

The things I didn't like about the Revolution seemed to have been resolved:

No middle mouse button. They've achieved this by moving the function/search button to the thumb area and put the scroll selector in it's place.

The power supply. They've changed over to a USB charging method with a changeable Ni-MH battery. The chargetime is vastly improved over the Rev and the life from a charge also seems good to me so far. Maybe not quite as long as the life from Rev full charge but the fact that I can now charge and use really helps anyhow. The recharge lead is far too stiff though unfortunately and when I do use the mouse whilst charging accurate work is tough.

UPDATE: ACCORDING TO LOGITECH'S WEBSITE THE BATTERY LIFE IS 'UP TO 30 DAYS' AS PER THE MX REVOLUTION BUT IN REALITY, I CAN'T GET 2 DAYS OUT OF IT. 10 HOURS CONSTANT USE KILLS IT RAPIDLY BUT AT LEAST THE USB CABLE IS NO LONGER STIFF.

The lower wheel is gone. For me, I never used it anyway - Alt Tab was already there as the function.

My Rev was starting to look a bit rough on the side where the mate coating was wearing through. They look to have stayed with the same coat on on the new version so only time will tell if it's the case. Besides that, look have been improved and the mouse looks very well polished. The new aluminium thumb surround looks very impressive.

Has it been worth the upgrade? Yes, in a word. For something that I use everyday the price is easily justified and I wish I had bought it when it first appeared now. The Revolution was a tough act to follow but they've managed it. The 'Darkfield' feature does nothing for me neither does the stage pouch that they supply to hold the charging accessories. More cost justifying, maybe?
I've uploaded a snap of the mices for a size comparision if anyone needs a look.

World in Conflict - Complete Edition (PC)
World in Conflict - Complete Edition (PC)
Offered by Startup Media
Price: 8.70

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest RTS out?, 31 July 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I had the original WIC and then I saw the complete edition on Amazon for a silly low price. One of the best bargains I've come across.
Cracking game. Amazing gameplay, graphics, story and content. Reminded me that it's good to get away from shooters every now and then. Easily the best RTS I've played.
Then game can be a little easy so I advice that it's played on hard even first time out. If you fail you can drop back down.
I ran this on Windows 7 64bit with Intel CPU and ATI graphics and had no problems. Just patch it before playing in case.

Mission Impossible 3 [Blu-ray] [2006]
Mission Impossible 3 [Blu-ray] [2006]
Dvd ~ Tom Cruise

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story but very average transfer, 31 July 2010
M:I3 is ranked number 2 in the series for me, very close to beating the first but not quite.
Good story, great cast, great action and a great director.
Phil Hoffman is tremendos as the nasty nasty I only wish he was in it more. I wish he was the baddy more often too. I think the last time he and Mr Cruise were together was on Magnolia? Great together then too.

The Blu-Ray must have been one of the first around as I find it pretty ropey. Better than the DVD? Marginally? Sure the close up faces look great but so did the DVD in fairness. The rest of the time it looks more of a DNR job where there are moments of bluring. The audio is a straight rip from the DVD too, no HD audio.

Region free

English, French and German languages all Dolby Digital

Subs: English, French and German only.

Paranormal Activity [Blu-ray]
Paranormal Activity [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Katie Featherston
Offered by Get It on TV
Price: 9.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Reverse psychology, 31 July 2010
If people tell people something is scary and the media tell us it is scary, we often end up watching it with the "no matter what, this isn't going to scare me just because 'they' tell me it will" attitude.
I guess I'm lucky and I didn't read too much into the media hype nor did I read the reviews on Amazon before seeing PA. As a result, I like to think it gave me much more of a scare - I didn't really know too much about what to expect.
Enviroment is very important. Watch it in a dark room with good audio to get the shiver down the spine effect. Empty house even better.
I see some reviewers were expecting a story???

I got it on Blu-Ray simply because it was cheap and for me, the audio is the most important aspect of the movie. The DTS-HD isn't fully exercised but it still does a pretty good job with things that go bump in the night. The first proper bump, night 5(?), is a good one!

This Is War
This Is War
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Far superior to their previous work, 30 July 2010
This review is from: This Is War (MP3 Download)
So, does the album match the singles? Absolutely!
There was me thinking it would be another case of a few great anthems surrounded by fillers...

But no, This is war, is nothing short of 60 mins of glorious rock - concept or not. It really should have been the soundtrack for Avatar.

Glad I checked it out. Better late than never...

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-24