Profile for Sal > Reviews

Sal

Logitech Wireless Combo MK520 - UK layout
Logitech Wireless Combo MK520 - UK layout

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent wireless keyboard, 24 Nov. 2012
I live in France, so had to import a QWERTY keyboard for my new computer. I've had an account with Amazon since long before I left the UK, when all they sold was books(!) and they ship me anything I need without the general cavil I get from other companies about UK credit cards/addresses only. I look to Logitech for cordless equipment as their standard is invariably high, and this keyboard lives up to their reputation. It is smooth, fast and quiet, comfortable to use. I find it harder to get on with the mouse. It has been designed to work with minimum hand movement, but I don't always find this. Both have on/off switches, so you save power when you're not working, although there was great consternation the first morning when I couldn't access my bank account; I wasn't used to having to turn on a keyboard. Whew!

Philips SatinPerfect HP6579/00 Wet & Dry Epilator and Precision Epilator
Philips SatinPerfect HP6579/00 Wet & Dry Epilator and Precision Epilator

5.0 out of 5 stars fast and efficient depilation, 24 Nov. 2012
I had already been using this type, although not this make, of epilator for some years, but this one - or, rather, two - has several features which makes it a better product. The main one has ceramic blades, not metal, which are far less irritating to the skin (I use it regularly to epilate armpits, which are more sensitive than legs, which I also do). It turns very fast, so the job is done in a trice. It is cordless, which is more convenient from every point of view (no more getting tangled up in the electric lead). It is waterproof and, although I haven't tried it in the shower yet, this makes for efficient cleaning. I haven't found the light particularly useful. The smaller epilator doesn't have ceramic blades, which is a shame, and rotates more slowly, but is useful for getting at the fiddly bits. I re-charge it after use and then it all packs away in a neat bag ready for next time.

Introducing Linguistics
Introducing Linguistics
by Larry Trask

4.0 out of 5 stars great grammarian, 24 Nov. 2012
Larry Trask, who sadly died a few years ago, was on the faculty of Sussex University and taught Grammar when I studied Applied Language at Brighton University in the mid-1990s. He was an inspiring teacher. As my course studied all aspects of linguistics, with Brighton's particular interest in automatically generated and translated language, it was essential to have a sound grasp of its underlying structure. I was lucky enough, as a mature student, to have been educated in an age where we were taught grammar, although at a far more basic level than subsequently at Uni, whereas the 'traditionally-aged' students were at an almost complete loss. Larry dealt with us all, whatever our levels.
So I bought Larry's book in his memory. It is sound and detailed, although not as inspiring as the man himself, and covers much more than just grammatical structures, dealing also with sociolinguistic topics. Excellent glossary.

Dell Inspiron 17R Black UK Replacement Laptop Keyboard
Dell Inspiron 17R Black UK Replacement Laptop Keyboard

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, a spare part for a Dell computer, 24 Nov. 2012
When my husband knocked a glass of whiskey over our Dell Inspiron 17R laptop last year, rendering it unusable, we tried to buy a replacement through Dell, but they aren't in the slightest bit interested in supplying spare parts and suggested we buy a new computer instead. As we'd only bought this one a few months before, and the insurance company wouldn't cover my husband's carelessness, we declined. We were also faced with the fact that although Dell claims to be an international company, it is actually dozens of national companies. We live in France, they won't ship UK products to France, we don't want a French keyboard, so it was a total impasse. A replacement keyboard was eventually found in Hong Kong, but it was probably a fake as it never worked properly. Then the laptop itself started playing up, so we decided to bite the bullet and get a new one - not from Dell! Our French computer technician built one from scratch using parts he could always replace if necessary, but it was down to me to find a cordless QWERTY keyboard (which I review elsewhere). On to my faithful supplier, Amazon UK, and what should I find but this genuine replacement keyboard for the laptop. It was fitted, the laptop tinkered with so it works better, and we now have two computers, which saves a lot of argument!
The keyboard works perfectly.