Profile for Adam > Reviews

Content by Adam

Adam

Slow Focus
Slow Focus

5.0 out of 5 stars Take with headphones and a dark room for maximum effect. Avoid using heavy machinery. Never exceed stated volume!, 15 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Slow Focus (Audio CD)
I had originally missed this release and was delightfully surprised to see another F*ck Buttons (as it appears on the sticker XD) album I was not expecting. Still swaying along to Blank Mass' last EP I was eager to hear what sonic-scapes the team have made for me under their original name... wow.
I have to admit to rationing myself to Brainfreeze. As an experience it is an assault but one that empowers and uplifts and almost induces a psychotic episode. I have fallen more in love with Re Wing over time, it has a sweetness to it. The first time I heard Princes Prize I was compacted into a Nintendo, shaken up vigorously and poured out as a mess of sprites.
This album has stronger links with earlier work, it has more of Street Horsing than Tarot Sport, however each track does read together as a potential narrative. The title is apt, each sequence evolving, changing throughout the piece but never a complete crescendo or total resolution. I am left asking questions, or in a state of mild bewilderment that is pleasing to a weirdy beardy creative such as myself XD

Gerhard Richter: Atlas
Gerhard Richter: Atlas
by Gerhard Richter

5.0 out of 5 stars Windows on the worlds, 25 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Gerhard Richter: Atlas (Hardcover)
A regimented ordered exploration into inspiration, association and potential for creative exploitation. An admirer of Richter's large format paintings I had often wondered about the sources of inspiration and the visual journey of ideas he possibly took. Leafing through this mammoth volume I was stunned by the huge catalogue of beautiful photography and then the arrangements and links between different subjects that emerge. As a teacher I saw this as an invaluable resource for my students and immediately it inspired! This book should be in every school library. I only wish it came in a large format print.

Shrines
Shrines

5.0 out of 5 stars Enochian to a break-beat, 24 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Shrines (Audio CD)
Shrines was siren-like in snaring me. As ever I cautiously sampled as much as I could before parting with my hard fought-over monies. I was impressed but felt at first it would be a nice addition to my collection of slightly odd music, not something I would have bouncing around in my head until I got home to put straight on. My first track of Purity Ring love was Obedear. I mistakenly thought it used a bear analogy because I do not read properly... And the line "I came over the sleeping mountains..." just cemented that image... I still have it when I hear it. Still a rich tune but I have ended up falling, almost addiction level, for Fineshrine with it's darkly sweet lyrics about love of self and sharing the experience of that illusive goal of white magic; the knowledge and conversation of your holy guardian angle... Yes, I used to practice Kabala... no, properly! Anyway, the music has pure magick woven in it's sine waves. Sirens would be jealous of this album.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 17, 2012 10:32 PM BST

Wander/Wonder
Wander/Wonder

5.0 out of 5 stars Falling through Oz, 18 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Wander/Wonder (Audio CD)
This album took a few listens before I could truly appreciate it. To give it a literally interpretation I would say this would be the soundtrack to the film where Dorothy forgot about trying to get home, left the Yellow Brick Road and got lost. I always felt melancholy was something England does really well so I am really surprised that Alec Koone has produced a near pure musical product embodying the seductive headiness of falling into a cloud of almost regretful reflection.
I have paid attention to those who have commented on the vocal effects used. I have tried to hate it, put up with it... in the end I have concluded that he has engineered a distortion that so closely resembles an idealized child's voice from some unknown historic era it is more haunting than anything else. And, on 'Oh, Why' when the voice is mirrored by a lower register, the syncing is perfect and the effect, to me, is reminiscent of my own internal though processes. When you allow your mind to wander do you not also take different parts of your self with you?
I am eager to see what else this young creative mind will produce.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 20, 2012 8:08 AM BST

GALACTIC MELT
GALACTIC MELT
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, I broke the VCR again..., 18 Mar. 2012
This review is from: GALACTIC MELT (Audio CD)
I can just imagine Seth Haley wrecking lots of tape-decks and tangling himself up in splicing tape. This album has a pure retro feel that, after the first few seconds of Terminal, you can feel the nostalgia wrap around you and replace the 21st century with extreme prejudice.
There is a journey through this album, not totally convinced that is intentional, which weaves through possible Sci-Fi concepts and mundane occurrences. 'Broken Date' is whimsically melancholy while others I have played 'VHS Sex' to have erupted in fits of giggles. Tongue and cheek aside the technical complexity of the tracks are impressive and are able to stand up to serious focused listening. I would not play this to woo any-one but will get people buzzing at a party.

Blanck Mass
Blanck Mass

5.0 out of 5 stars Enveloped, 18 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Blanck Mass (Audio CD)
I am usually tentative when trying out new music so rely heavily on quality reviews to assist me. I feel the best I can offer here is the effect this album has had on my work. After playing a few times I was able to render several abstract drawings, edit into an animation and share with some of my students (I teach BTW...) who actually said 'wow' for once. If allowed here's a link to some of the drawings: [...]
There are momentary suggestions of musical motifs reminiscent of 'Okay, Let's Talk About Magic' and 'The Lisbon Maru' but the overwhelming immersion of the Eno-esq dream-scape makes for a listening experience fluid like gliding across a desert (yes, the Prophecy Theme from Dune but slightly heavier).
This album will be played to death this summer as I get to painting and drawing.

Fallout: New Vegas (PC DVD)
Fallout: New Vegas (PC DVD)
Offered by * The Game Monkey *

4.0 out of 5 stars More splats for your caps, 30 Mar. 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Compared to FO3 this has a few nifty new features without having to relearn using the wheel. My main issue has been the change of ambiance to outside wasteland environments as oppsoed to the more intence clostraphobic urban scapes of FO3. I miss darting between buildings and scurrying around in the labrinth of metro stations that was so evident from the outset of FO3. I am liking the companion dialogue wheel where more options are availible and the subtle changes to the perks. Playing in ultra hard mode is a must as the added hardship gives a bit more edge and helps avoid unrealistic inventory 'cheats' like having 100 rockets that weigh nothing...
I am struggling with the more focused direction of initial travel. I like to wander so get frustrated when my way is bared on all sides bar one by impossibly leveled and unavoidable beasties. Again this was not in FO3 where I managed to make my own way in true sand box style before even considering tapping Megatonne.
A good game, not as free as I would like but makes up for with some nice features. Oh, and Bethesda! get some different tunes on the darn radio!