ARRAY(0xa6ad72d0)

Profile for Gerard Lally > Reviews

Content by Gerard Lally

Gerard Lally "gerard" (Ireland)

Huawei B683 3G Wireless Gateway
Huawei B683 3G Wireless Gateway
Price: 106.74

5.0 out of 5 stars In the interests of fairness, 18 Mar 2013
Another reviewer mentioned certain open ports on this router which cannot be closed. I have recommended this router to two buyers and neither person has this problem. The router was probed using ShieldsUp, and all ports passed the stealth test. Perhaps the other reviewer has a router with earlier firmware, or custom firmware loaded by the ISP? The router I recommended was supplied by Three Ireland, and it has no such problems. Performance is excellent, and I'm happy to report that port forwarding does work. (I myself own a Huawei B260a, and there is a fault with this router which prevents port forwarding working.) My brother, one of the people to whom I recommended this router, is now getting speeds between 6Mbps and 12Mbps in a small village in rural Ireland, depending on the time of day. Not bad speeds, if you ask me. One thing that should be noted is that there is a connector for an external antenna (not supplied), but this is for the WAN connection, not for the wireless LAN connection. Without an external antenna for the wireless LAN side this router does not have the best wireless range. My brother ended up disabling the wireless on the B683 and attaching a dedicated TP-Link wireless access point instead. No big deal. At the end of the day the 3G WAN performance of the B683 is excellent, and wireless performance can be easily fixed.

TP-Link TL-WN951N 300Mbps Wireless N PCI Adapter
TP-Link TL-WN951N 300Mbps Wireless N PCI Adapter
Price: 18.98

1.0 out of 5 stars No signal, 22 Jan 2012
Installed this in an OpenBSD firewall using the athn driver. Card does not pick up signal at all. I have tried several wireless PCI cards and USB adapters and they have all connected to the router - except this one. I even bought 5dbi antennas - 2 for my TP-Link ADSL modem and three for this card. The antenna connectors are spaced too closely together to fit all three 5dBi antennas, so I was left with just two on the adapter and still had no signal. I am about 50 feet from the ADSL modem, which is a TP-Link WD-W8960N - supposedly able to handle 5x the range of other ADSL modem-routers. I gave up trying to get a connection and went back to a cheap ten euro D-Link DWL-G122. No problems connecting. Stay away from this adapter - it just doesn't have the range. Not even when you couple it with one of the best TP-Link wireless ADSL modem-routers. If you need a PCI adapter I had more joy with an Edimax EW-7128G adapter. I was hoping the Atheros chip in the TP-Link would greatly outperform the Ralink chip in the Edimax. Sadly not, although the price is much higher.

Book Rest /Stand  s/s adjustable Guaranteed quality
Book Rest /Stand s/s adjustable Guaranteed quality
Offered by cookware company
Price: 4.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the plastic equivalent, 28 Jan 2011
Some years ago I bought a plastic book stand identical in all other aspects to this one. It was a cheap but excellent stand and I was disappointed when it finally broke. This stand is made of aluminium, and is much sturdier - indeed, I would say, unbreakable. The prongs at the front are stiff enough to keep those recalcitrant pages pressed down. The stand of course is suitable only for a desk or kitchen top; I doubt that it would be something you could use to read in bed.
Excellent value for money!

Edimax EW-7128G Wireless LAN PCI Card 802.11b/g 54Mbp (Ralink)
Edimax EW-7128G Wireless LAN PCI Card 802.11b/g 54Mbp (Ralink)

5.0 out of 5 stars Working perfectly on NetBSD, 19 Nov 2010
Just to add that this adapter is very fast on NetBSD (i386 5.1). The D-link USB adapter I used previously kept dropping the connection. This adapter is speedy and stable, and the signal is strong.

PHP and MySQL Web Development (Developer's Library)
PHP and MySQL Web Development (Developer's Library)
by Luke Welling
Price: 22.74

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor binding, 21 Mar 2009
I haven't got around to reading this yet but I must say I'm extremely disappointed in the quality of the binding. Some pages are coming apart already and all I've done is skimmed a few pages! The third edition served me well for a number of years - this new edition is coming apart after a couple of weeks. Terrible.

The Essential Guide to CSS and HTML Web Design (Essentials)
The Essential Guide to CSS and HTML Web Design (Essentials)
by Craig Grannell
Price: 20.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Answers a lot of the niggly questions, 28 April 2008
I've bought many books on CSS and HTML, and I've always been left with a few questions, especially about layout. Craig Grannell's book does a great job of answering many of those questions. Of particular interest is his treatment of boxouts and structural divs. If you are new to CSS and XHTML don't be put off by these terms; the beauty of this book is that it's a good book for beginners, but it satisfies intermediate and advanced users as well. An excellent resource if you want to design standards-compliant websites with a twist. The basics are all here, but there is that something extra as well, and it's that something extra, scattered liberally throughout the book from start to finish, that is its distinguishing feature.

Build Your Own Website The Right Way Using HTML & CSS
Build Your Own Website The Right Way Using HTML & CSS
by Ian Lloyd

5.0 out of 5 stars Get up to speed quickly, 27 Jun 2006
This is a great book for people like me who have no experience building websites. Don't get me wrong -- it's not a simplistic book, or an easy book to follow. However, I have made more progress in 24 hours with this book than I made in 6 months with a professional web design program which cost me hundreds. The best thing is that I now know that I am on the right path, whereas while I was using the WYSIWYG program I was being pushed in the direction of using tables to structure websites. I now realise this is bad practice. I am half way through this book, and my website is halfway to completion, and already I can see how clean and efficient coding in HTML and CSS is. I don't feel that my pages are bloated any more, and yet I can achieve quite sophisticated effects.

Highly recommended for beginners who are prepared to stick with it. Believe me, I wanted the easy route in web design and it took me much longer to get nowhere.

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 4.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Give it time, 9 Feb 2006
As with their other album, "All that you can't leave behind", you have to give this one a bit of time to let it grow on you. Less so the singles, such as Vertigo, Sometimes you can't make it, All because of you, and City of blinding lights, each of which I would rate as highly as some of their best from previous albums. Miracle drug, A man and a woman, and Yahweh are songs I have in mind. Not instantly memorable, but after a few twirls they sink in and you ask yourself how your first impression could have been so skewed. Something I've asked about songs on ATYCLB, only to find myself at a later stage playing them over and over! As one other reviewer has mentioned, get the version with Fast Cars -- an interesting variation and definitely worthy of being more than an afterthought.