Profile for Gavin Griffiths > Reviews

The Silent Scream: Living with the Beast
The Silent Scream: Living with the Beast
by C. a. Warren-Howles

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 22 Mar. 2014
Very moving book. Beautifully written. Made me think about my own mortality in a way I rarely do. All that time we waste on worrying about our little problems and how we largely miss the stuff that's important.

The Great British Tuck Shop
The Great British Tuck Shop
by Steve Berry

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful coffee table book that brings back the memories, 28 Sept. 2012
Our school tuck shop was one of my earliest memories. My mum used to give me 5p to take in each day and i used to be able to get a new refresher for 1p. I'm in my forties now and this book brings back so many memories. I had forgotten about Quatro! Lovely book well researched with lots of little interesting side stories about the 'tuck' industry. A great present for that fourty-something you don't know what to buy for.

Into the Amazon: An Incredible Story of Survival in the Jungle
Into the Amazon: An Incredible Story of Survival in the Jungle
by John Harrison

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 30 July 2011
Just put this down and its prompted me to write my first ever book review (despite actually having two of my own books on Amazon). I would love to meet John, he has a great philosophy on life and its rare to find real adventurers, or indeed placed to go and find adventure. Heather, his wife and companion on this trip, also sounds like a real trooper. My only criticism is that the publisher should have put in some photos (they had a camera as it was mentioned a number of times). It is not ruined by lack of imagery as John is a good writer and paints a vivid picture of his surroundings with his words.

I would totally recommend reading this. I actually took it on a motorbike tour but only got round to reading it a month after i got back. If you can read it in the tropics i imagine it would have even more impact.

John, if you're reading this, you've inspired me to make more of my holidays - thanks!