Profile for weasley figbat > Reviews

Content by weasley figbat

weasley figbat "weasley_one" (Reading, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Boy Who Stole from the Dead (The Nadia Tesla Series Book 2)
The Boy Who Stole from the Dead (The Nadia Tesla Series Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Having read The Boy from Reactor Four, I was ..., 12 Sep 2014
Having read The Boy from Reactor Four, I was compelled to read the follow up. It was a decent holiday read and followed on well from the first book. The side-kick brother was a bit of a convenient plot device but just about tolerable.

What I found most intriguing was the insight into Ukrainian history and tension with Russia, given that I read this when these tensions were heightened again. It added a contemporary relevancy that made the book not only decent fiction, but also documentary.

50mm / 2" Chrome Switch / Plug Socket Screw Longer x10
50mm / 2" Chrome Switch / Plug Socket Screw Longer x10
Offered by CK Electrical Supplies

4.0 out of 5 stars Long screws with the right thread!, 3 July 2014
Needed because the sockets in my house are well-recessed and the screws that came with the plug faces weren't long enough. These are!

75mm / 3" Chrome Switch / Plug Socket Screw Longer x10
75mm / 3" Chrome Switch / Plug Socket Screw Longer x10
Offered by CK Electrical Supplies

20 Extra Long Socket / Plug Screws Electrical M3.5x40mm
20 Extra Long Socket / Plug Screws Electrical M3.5x40mm
Offered by Colin James Lighting

4.0 out of 5 stars Long screws with the right thread!, 3 July 2014

SanDisk SDSDU-008G-U46 8 GB Ultra 30 MB/s Class 10 SD Memory Card (Label May Change)
Offered by Tek-365

4.0 out of 5 stars It works!, 3 July 2014
Used for music in my car's audio system - does the job perfectly well.

SanDisk SDSDXPA-016G-X46 16 GB Extreme Pro UHS-I SDHC Memory Card
SanDisk SDSDXPA-016G-X46 16 GB Extreme Pro UHS-I SDHC Memory Card

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast and large., 3 July 2014
Fast enough and large enough for photos and full HD video from my Nikon D7100. Transfer speed is noticeably fast when uploading files to PC through a SD card reader.

Expert Shield - THE Screen Protector for: Nikon D7100 2 Piece Set *Lifetime Guarantee*
Offered by Expert Shield

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality product, 3 July 2014
Great product - fully-installed within 2 minutes of opening the pack and you barely know they are there. Unlike some shields which create a moiré effect on the screens, these have no discernible effect on viewing the screens.

GP 364 SR60 V364 SR621SW 1.55v Silver Oxide button coil cell Watch battery
GP 364 SR60 V364 SR621SW 1.55v Silver Oxide button coil cell Watch battery
Offered by batteries-world (Frutiger GBR)

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a battery, 16 May 2014
It's a battery! My watch now works, what more is there to say? It contains exactly the right number of volts for my needs.

Ark Royal
Ark Royal

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly engaging, 13 Mar 2014
This review is from: Ark Royal (Kindle Edition)
I don't usually read sci-fi but was looking for something a bit different and came across Ark Royal. I guess I was probably drawn in by the title, being British with a love affair of the ship of the same name.

What I discovered was a well-written book with enough pace and drama to be engaging, but at a comfortable level of credibility (if you can use that word for fictional material).

I love how the book is written as if the future will be little different from today, just with greater reach. Many future-focused stories assume that planets assemble into one contiguous population and pit planet against planet. Here we see that Earth remains a number of countries who behave like they do today, with alliances and suspicions and lack of consistency. The navy still behaves like the navy, with rank and hierarchy and politics. I also love the assumed knowledge (on behalf of the reader) about future technology, how they are introduced to the story without description or explanation because, well, everyone knows about that, right?

Of course the central story is around the dusting off of a mothballed vessel to take on the new alien threat, after modern ships were found wanting. Sturdiness and simplicity win the day, as well as a fighting spirit and constant ingenuity in order to keep the old ship running with a mish-mash of disparate systems. The ability to take a punch on the jaw allows Ark Royal to lead the retaliation against the alien foe.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would recommend it even if sci-fi is not your thing.... it really does read like a contemporary story.

Schlitten Davos
Schlitten Davos

4.0 out of 5 stars So good it can control the weather, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: Schlitten Davos (Sports)
I ordered this in anticipation of "THE WORST WINTER SINCE TIME BEGAN!!!", thinking that it would while away the hours being snowed in at home, it would enrich my children's lives and provide years of happy memories of gliding majestically through Christmas card scenes, laughing all the way. When it arrived I nodded approvingly at the solid German engineering, coupled with the simple yet timeless design. If something looks right, it generally is right and this looked like the sledge for me.

All I can tell you about it's performance is that when stood on end in a garage it doesn't fall over, catch fire, fall apart or exhibit any other undesirable traits. That is unless you count its ability to induce "THE WARMEST, WETTEST WINTER SINCE TIME BEGAN!!!" as an undesirable trait.

So, my rating is largely for its quality and mechanical stability. If I get a chance to test its dynamic stability and child engagement capabilities, I'll report back.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4