Profile for Smithy > Reviews

Smithy (London)

Kindle Fire HDX 8.9", HDX Display, Wi-Fi, 64 GB - Includes Special Offers
Kindle Fire HDX 8.9", HDX Display, Wi-Fi, 64 GB - Includes Special Offers
Price: 409.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Fire HDX 8.9 - Great Media consumption device - Amazing Screen, 22 Nov 2013
I have been looking forward to the release of this tablet for some time having previously owned the original Nexus 7. I had found myself purely using my tablet for web browsing and media consuemtion; being a combination of video's, music and games, this along with me being a large Amazon shopper meant that this tablet made sense for me.

I couldn't decide between the 7 or 8.9 version so decided to buy both and then decide after handling them and return the other. For me the 8.9 feels much nicer to hold, is not noticibely heavier in hand as the weight is more spread out and has the added advantage of a very acceptable 8mp rear camera (comparable with smartphone).

The main selling point of this tablet is the screen which looks absoloutly amazing and is as good as if not better than my friends new ipad air, and infact on some videos it actually shows up the poor quality of the streaming. The sound is perfectly acceptable for a tablet and it feels well made, my one dissapointment being how much fingerprints show up on not just the screen but the whole case.

The Mayday feature worked well, taking about 30 seconds to answer and the person on the other end being UK based!!

Coming from a Nexus 7 tablet and my phone being a HTC One with Sense, I have found Amazons OS Fire to be easy to use and whilst not as customisable as normal android it is very intuative (more like the Apple OS) and easy to both set-up and use. The only shame is that native Google apps like Gmail and Maps are not available.

Overall very pleased with this device, however if you go for the larger memory with 4g etc, it does start to look very expensive and on the same price as an ipad air...only time will tell if it can compete. However the lower memory wi-fi versions really do look good value for money, and these are what I would recommend.

Any questions feel free to leave a comment and I will get back to you.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 25, 2013 9:08 PM GMT

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars FitBit Wireless Pedometer & Activity Tracker, 14 Jan 2013
I purchased this as an ungrade to my original fitbit which I have been using daily and am very pleased with.

One of the main reasons for buying this over the older and cheaper model is that it will wirelessly sync with the iPhone application. I found this to be very useful as it enables me to see my activity in real time, whereas with the older model I could only see this if I had been on my pc and connected the usb dongle/charger for it to sync... If you would like this function then I would reccommend this product, although if not hhen you would be better off with the older version which is slightly cheaper!

All in all I would recommend this product if you are into your gizmos and would like to analyze your activity and sleep over a period of time, say whilst you are on a diet!

The Affair: (Jack Reacher 16)
The Affair: (Jack Reacher 16)
Price: 3.49

4.0 out of 5 stars The biggest question about Reacher's past is answered!!, 26 Nov 2012
Having enjoyed reading all of the previous Reacher books I am going to review this from the viewpoint of someone who is a fan of the series.

I have to admit despite enjoying the book, the story was not as imnaginative as some of the other novels, and felt fairly lazy at some point throughout... However I really enjoy seeing more of Reacher's life in the Military as you can see events that shaped his views and actions in most of the other books.

If you are a Reacher fan, the main reason to read this book is that you find out the REAL reason that he left the army in the middle of a highly promising and successful career!!!

I would class this story as a must read for any Reacher fans, as whilst the story is not the best, the character development is very good... I would really like to read some more books based on his military career, especially the early days and his time at Westpoint as we know little about this.

Amazon Kindle Leather Cover, Wine Purple (will only fit Kindle)
Amazon Kindle Leather Cover, Wine Purple (will only fit Kindle)
Price: 30.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Leather Kindle Case, Burgundy not Purple! :-), 16 Feb 2012
Having owned the previous generation kindle without a case, instead making do with a Jiffy Bag I decided upon purchasing the new Kindle that I would treat myself to a case.

Having used this for a reasonable period of time I have been very impressed... HOWEVER, this case is NOT for everyone!

If like me you want a slim case that doesn't add too much bulk and still allows you to slip your Kindle inside your jacket pocket then this is perfect. However if you require something that protects whilst on a beach or placing you kindle in a bag then I would not reccomend this, as it has no attachment to fasten it close so it could inadvertantly come open. Also it would not stop dirt, sand or water from getting over your kindle.

In spite of this I am very happy with the case, and if you require a slim and smart looking case to provide basic protection then I think this would be perfect for you!

The Path Of Totality
The Path Of Totality
Offered by hifi-media-store
Price: 11.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Blend of genres - It shouldn't work but it does!, 7 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Path Of Totality (Audio CD)
I'm always reluctant to review albums on Amazon as it is down to personal opinion as to what is good or bad, but I am going to give it a go.

This album will appeal to two types of people. Korn/rock fans and Dubstep fans. As such I think this could become a succesful crossover album and introduce many Dupstep fans to Korns music and vice verca. It also will help Dubstep to reach a wider audience than it otherwise would do.

I have been really impressed, whilst the sound is totally original it still manages to sound like authentic Korn. Although there trademark chunk bass sound has been replaced with dubstep beats and bass.

If you want something that is out of the norm, with heavy bass and a great beat then this album may appeal, however I have the feeling it will divide opinion and people will either love or hate it. For myself, I'm loving it but I think you need to listen to it to make up your own mind!!

Apple 11 inch MacBook Air (Dual-Core i5,1.6GHz,4GB,128GB Flash,HD Graphics)
Apple 11 inch MacBook Air (Dual-Core i5,1.6GHz,4GB,128GB Flash,HD Graphics)
Offered by benta-flowers
Price: 899.99

4.0 out of 5 stars First Mac... but will not be my last!!, 2 Nov 2011
I am not going to go into any technical details as there are a whole host of reviews that can be uncovered by a simple google search, instead I want to concentrate more on the "feel" of the Air

First impressions are... wow. I had tested one in the Apple store several times, but it is hard to appreciate its size and portability until you own one. I seem to find myself randomly picking it u just to spin it round and marvel at it's size and weight. If any thing it is a little too portable, I took it out for the first time on Thursday, and couldn't even tell it was in my bag. So much so that my paranoia of protecting my shiny new toy kicked in and I found myself opening my bag every five minutes to check I had not been pick pocketed. Hopefully this paranoia will wear off after a few weeks.

Aa a previous Windows fan and Windows 7 user I was a little sceptical about swithching to a mac and not too sure how hard it would be to adapt to using a new operating system. A few days of messing around have proved my fears were unjustified and I have actually enjoyed and still am enjoying the learning curve, infact after only two days of using my Macbook Air I logged back onto my Windows PC and found that I kept trying to use multi-touch which is a part of the new Lion OS.

The model I purchased was the upgraded 1.8Ghz i7 with a 128Gb Hard drive and 4Gb Ram, and compared to my 2 year old 2.13 Ghz dual core Windows laptop this feels a lot faster and more polished. The size of the hard drive was a concern coming from a larger 3.5 inch SATA styl hard drive, however this is easily remedied by keeping most of my videos and music on a small and inexpensive (80 for 1Tb) external hard drive.

The only issue I have encountered so far is moving my music collections into i-tunes, however this is only because I was stupid enough to have ripped my entire CD collection originally using WMA lossless which has DRM copyright protection in place so it cannot be converted or transferred.

I still have nothing ut positives for the new Air, and I think I will have no issues with it becoming my sole PC. There have been two commen issues raised on forums and in reviews, firstly some people have stated that the fans are really noisy, so far I have not had an issue with this, and when running alongside my laptop with the same programs running it is actually a lot quieter. The second concern people have raised is the issue of overheating, as I am typing this with the Mac Air on my lap it is slightly warm to the touch, but no more so than any other electrical device I have used and it has only ever gotten hot under prolonged use like running Football Manager 2011 for hours.

I could not recommend this highly enough as long as you are sure that an 11' laptop is the right choice for you, if you are considering purchasing one then please feel free to post any comments and I will get back to you.
Comment Comments (16) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2012 5:23 PM GMT

Six Easy Pieces: Fundamentals of Physics Explained (Penguin Press Science)
Six Easy Pieces: Fundamentals of Physics Explained (Penguin Press Science)
by Paul Davies
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Physics made Fun, 2 Nov 2011
Great Book, I have really enjoyed reading it.

Whilst it is called Six "Easy" Pieces, it does go into a fair bit of detail in explaining the various topics, however it is written on the basis that the reader has no understanding of Physics. As such it is understandable if you have little or no physics knowledge!

Feynman also manages to bring some personality into the topics discussed and his passion for the topics really shines through!

In summary if you are looking to refresh your knowledge of things you learnt in school, or perhaps trying to improve your knowledge so you can discuss Physics with your friends or children if they are studying it in school then this book is a good place to start..

Highly Recommended!!!

Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display

4.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Convert, 31 Oct 2011
Before I purchased this device I would have said I was a massive fan of the traditional paper based book, I love the whole lifecycle from Browsing shelves in a bookshop, buying books, reading them and then proudly displaying them on my bookself (almost as if what books I have read form a part of who I am)!

With the above in mind, my main reason for buying a Kindle was Space! Unfortunatly my bookshelves are not like Mary Poppins handbag, and my home was becoming inundated with books lying everywhere. The second was reading books whilst not at home. This device is noticably smaller and lighter than a lot of books, which makes it a lot easier to carry.

After using the device for just under a year I am a massive convert! I carry my Kindle with me everywhere, I love how I can fininsh reading a book midway through my morning commute and then start reading another book without having to carry two around with me.

The battery life seems to last for ever, I get about a months heavy reading (2-3 hours per day) out of the kindle and it's capacity is enough for more books than most normal people would ever own.

The Amazon kindle store makes it really easy to buy books, especially with "One-Click" purchaseing set up, and I can sync my book reading with my Android/Iphone Kindle app so if I do not have it with me I can continure reading where I left of on my phone.

The only negative things I can think of personally about owning a Kindle is the fact you cannot take your new purchase to a book signing - perhaps the industry needs to develop a replacement for this in the digital age. Also I miss the satisfaction of owning a collection of hardback books in mint condition and 1st edition (maybe even signed)... I doubt a kinle Harry Potter book would have the same value as a 1st edition Hardback either! :-(

However for day to day reading I love my Kindle and think I will use it more and more in the future.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Kent CG1 Clothes Brush - suit brush, 10 Aug 2011
What to say about a clothes brush?

Firstly I am very pleased with this item, the item was received as described. The only extra bit of info I would like to add is that the brush length refers to the whole item, what would be more relevant is perhaps the length of the bristled section which is about 15cm in length.

I have used this brush daily since I purchased to clean my suits after wearing. The bristles are stiff enough to remove dust, dirt etc. but soft enough that I can use it on my 100% wool suits without worrying about damaging them.

One possible criticism is that I wish the handle had a small hole drilled in it with a small lanyard so you can hang it up. However this is me being very picky, and whether you would hang it up or not is a personal preference and would be different for everyone. This is an adaptation I may just make myself if I ever get around to it!

The whole item feels well made and I am sure it will last for many years, I would definitely recommend paying the extra to purchase this over a cheaper version. The old adage you get what you pay for is proven correct with this item!