Profile for C Beyers > Reviews

Topsy and Tim: Go on an Aeroplane
Topsy and Tim: Go on an Aeroplane
by Jean Adamson

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs updating, 22 Jan. 2016
I bought this to help my toddler prepare for an international flight. While it's a cute book, it's not exactly what I was looking for. Firstly, it completely misses the entire security screening process. It would have been nice to have a page or two showing the process, including walking through the metal detector, and having their passports checked. The way the story in the book goes, it appears that they check in, and then are called to board the plane.

Secondly, the twins are invited up to the cockpit while the plane is in the air. I'm not sure if the authors have been on a plane in the last ten years, but this never happens any more. I'd rather not give my children the idea that it could happen when it definitely will not,

We also have the Biff, Chip and Kipper book called Going on a Plane, which does include the security process, and for us is a better book for setting expectations with small children.

Kids Choice Stinky Stickers Variety Pack
Kids Choice Stinky Stickers Variety Pack
Offered by Beststickers

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 20 Jan. 2016
The packet of stickers was slightly smaller than I expected, each sheet is roughly A6 size (a standard greeting card). Each sheet has 15 stickers, and I got two sheets of each smell. I have no idea if the smell selection is the same in each packet, but these are the smells we got: Vanilla, Fruit Punch, Bubblegum, Caramel, Pineapple, Tutti-Frutti, Apple, Popcorn, Licorice, Strawberry, Peppermint, Blueberry, Chocolate, Honey and Dirt. Some of the scents are just sweet rather than smelling like something specific (Vanilla, Caramel, Strawberry, Apple, Fruit Punch and Tutti-Frutti), but I have only just unpacked them so it may be that the scents are mixed together. The Popcorn smells just like cinema popcorn, and the Dirt, just like dirt. My kids are going to love them all. Great value for the money, and would definitely buy again.

15 x Ultra Early - 10mIU Wide Width Pregnancy Test Strips (tests up to 6 days earlier)
Offered by Home Health (UK) Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Super simple to use, 30 Jun. 2014
I have bought these several times now, and have always been pleased. Very simple instructions, no fussing like with in-stream products. And I have had positive results very early with both pregnancies, so they are accurate.

Chasin' Cheeky Game
Chasin' Cheeky Game
Offered by Gameseek

3.0 out of 5 stars Noisy!, 23 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Chasin' Cheeky Game (Toy)
My three year old son got this as a birthday gift. My kids love it, but it is very loud. It sounds like a cross between a remote control car, a food processor and a blender. The noise doesn't seem to bother the kids but it drives me bonkers.

Galt Toys Scientific Explorer Magic Science
Galt Toys Scientific Explorer Magic Science

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun, 30 April 2013
My almost five year old got this as a gift from his gran, and he has loved doing the 'experiments' that we've done so far. The kit itself is quite robust, with three one-inch wide plastic lidded test tubes with a stand, a plastic pipette, measuring scoops for the chemicals, a plastic tube wand, and safety goggles. It wasn't obvious to me initially, but the goggles have a protective film on the lenses, to stop them from scratching. You have to peel this off if you want your child to be able to see anything. The kit does say 10+, but with adult supervision and help, and a child who understands not to put things in their mouth, I'm not personally worried about the age guidelines.

The chemicals are: citric acid, bicarbonate of soda, red cabbage juice powder, polyacrylamide(water absorbing) crystals, colour tablets and zinc sulphide. You also get purple paper and stickers to make a hat, and yellow acid/base reactive paper.

So far we have made the wizard hat (simple cut and paste job), the magic wand (drop a coloured tablet or two in a test tube of water and add water absorbing crystals, add to wand tube), and disappearing ink (citric acid solution, bicarb solution and reactive paper).

We have yet to try the fizzy acid/base reaction, colour changing acid/base reaction, and fizzy colour changing acid/base reaction (basically combines the two prior experiments). Then there is an oil and water combination, and an oil and water potion with and acid/base reaction. The last two experiments are: an exploration of the effects hot/cold on the acid/base reaction, and finally a potion that glows in the dark.

You do have to wait an hour for the crystals to absorb all of the water in the test tube, but we set the oven timer and checked it every 10 minutes to see how the crystals were expanding. We did one tube of purple as per the kits instructions, and one tube of yellow as the crystals were very difficult to see in the purple water.

All in all, I'm quite happy with the kit so far, and am contemplating buying a second one, just to get the test tubes and stand, as they seem quite expensive to buy on their own. And they are super fun for kids to do 'experiments' in with coloured water, bicarb, vinegar, cornflour, soap and oil etc.

Radical Unschooling: A Revolution Has Begun
Radical Unschooling: A Revolution Has Begun
by Dayna Martin

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring!, 5 April 2011
This is a great book, with lots of thought provoking topics. I have read it cover to cover and am starting it again. My only criticism is that it could have been a little longer. It contains a lot of information that is already on Dayna's blog, and the spacing of text, while easy to read, spreads out the information even more.

If you are at all interested in unschooling, then this book is a must buy. Just don't expect a tome.

Pops!: Icy Treats for Grown Ups
Pops!: Icy Treats for Grown Ups
by Krystina Castella

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummo!, 5 April 2011
There are some gorgeous looking recipes in this book, and I can tell it is going to be well used by the end of the coming summer. For instance, the pop pictured on the far right of the cover is a banana split pop, with half a frozen banana hidden inside all of the layers of ice cream, sorbet and sauce.

Most of the recipes are complex and adult oriented, but there were plenty of recipes that I know my two year old wil enjoy. Now to buy some pop moulds!

Raising Children Compassionately; Parenting the Non-violent Communication Way
Raising Children Compassionately; Parenting the Non-violent Communication Way
by Marshall B. Rosenberg

3.0 out of 5 stars Shame it's so short!, 5 April 2011
This is a short book on Nonviolent Communication. However, please be aware that the book is only 23 pages (plus some pages of ads) long, not 48 pages as stated in the Amazon description. Most of the book is available in the Amazon 'look inside' feature.

I would have appreciated more concrete strategies and suggestions from the author in how to communicate nonviolently to my children. Instead, the greater part of the book is anecdotes about his personal experiences with his own children.

Bake (Australian Women's Weekly)
Bake (Australian Women's Weekly)
by Australian Women's Weekly

5.0 out of 5 stars Bake (Australian Women's Weekly), 28 Dec. 2010
I love this book, it is a seriously hefty tome, that will no doubt get plenty of use in my kitchen. The only downside to me is that there is not a photo included for every recipe. Also, be aware that if you have any Australian Women's Weekly baking books already, then it is likely that you may already have some of these recipes, as it seems to be an anthology of the AWW baking books.

The book has lovely, glossy, heavy-weight paper, and the photos that are included are of the usual high standard that I expect from the AWW books. There are also lots of hints and tips included, with all of the basic methods of baking broken down into steps, with photos. This is a book not only for accomplished bakers, but also for beginners too.

I love this book!