Profile for pmppk > Reviews

Content by pmppk

pmppk "piman" (BKK, Thailand)

The Old Testament (UA Studio Recs 77-82)
The Old Testament (UA Studio Recs 77-82)

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit loud but still sound good, 17 July 2013
I decided to buy the 2013 version after some positive comments regarding sound quality start showing up on Amazon product review. After listening to the whole package which took me very LOOOOONG time, well.... nearly 100 songs, I'm quite satisfied with the overall sound quality of these CDs.
In term of audio quality for most tracks, I can clearly hear detail of most instruments. JJ's bass from the first 3 albums sound spikey with a nice touch of sub bass. The drum part sound powerful and not muddy at all. I'd describe the overall experience of listening to these 6 early albums as very powerful and energetic.

There're some tracks that sound a bit loud and a "tiny" bit harsh to my ear, which mostly belong to "No More Heroes" album. However they don't sound tinny because the mid and sub bass are still there and help balance out nicely.

In summary I would rate audio quality for most tracks as 5 stars, except for tracks from "No More Heroes" which get 4.5 stars
The double CD package is sturdy enough to hold all 5 CDs. The 24 pages booklet includes Band photos, images of albums and Singles covers, and some credits for rarities tracks on disc 5.

Highly recommended.

Hearts And Knives
Hearts And Knives

5.0 out of 5 stars Shamelessly Good., 27 May 2013
This review is from: Hearts And Knives (Audio CD)
Great things about Visage's new album.
1. Nice Cover: Thought Steve's very "mature" now but the artwork made quiet an impact on similar level as their previous albums.
2. The 1st single "Shameless Fashion" made me order the album without hesitation.
3. No harsh synth sound: If you're like me, cannot stand those dark industrial type of patches recently used heavily by Depeche Mode, you'll probably love this.
4. Baddest Bass!! Steve Barnacle, what a great bass player. Now I'm not dissapointed over missing Barry Adamson from the line up.
5. The thank you note: All those important names are listed.

The Coldest Winter For A Hundred Years
The Coldest Winter For A Hundred Years

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Melancholy Melodies..., 31 Aug 2012
To compare "The Coldest Winter..." with their former album in percentage. It goes like this.
70% similar to Bringing Home the ashes
20% similar to Space Flower
and 10% .... for added melodic pop perfection.

For fans of melodic jangle pop, grab this, you won't be disappointed.
For fans of the wild swans, grab this fast before it goes out of prints like their other albums.

Brilliant
Brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars After 27 years, they finally "give us this day the power and glory...", 28 May 2012
This review is from: Brilliant (Audio CD)
How could someone who is Ultravox fan not giving this 5 stars review, honestly.
What I can say is it's worth 27 years of waiting.
The voice, the synth, the bass, and the drum are perfectly brilliant!!!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 2, 2012 10:27 PM BST

Blanc Burn
Blanc Burn

5.0 out of 5 stars The good tracks are really really good!, 10 May 2011
This review is from: Blanc Burn (Audio CD)
I agree with other review that "Blancburn" got some weak tracks. But when listen to the whole album, I can't help giving it 5 stars.
In fact, I'd give 5 stars just for the cover art alone.

Credo
Credo

5.0 out of 5 stars It's definitely worth the wait!, 8 April 2011
This review is from: Credo (Audio CD)
I love every tracks on this album. 2010-2011 are great years for synth pop and new romantic fan.
I can't help compare Credo to OMD's History of Modern and Duran's All you need.. which I think all of them are definitely worth more than 5 stars.
My most favourite track is "When the star starts to shine".

Head First
Head First
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Colourful pop, 22 Mar 2010
This review is from: Head First (Audio CD)
I fell in love with Goldfrapp's Head First since my first listening. Though most songs on this album seem to be in "easy listening synth pop" category but there are details in each song that make them more interesting after repeat listenings. Some songs remind me of Kate Bush's "Running up that hill", Eurythmics' "Sweetdream", and disco/synth pop from late 70's to early 80's era.

The Platinum Collection 4CD Box Set
The Platinum Collection 4CD Box Set

5.0 out of 5 stars 2009 remaster sound so good!, 11 Dec 2009
Apart from the ridiculously low price for 4 CDs which cover nearly all tracks from first 4 albums and some non-album tracks, these new remastered tracks sound so so good.
I even change my mind on some tracks that I used to hate, like "Talking in your sleep" and "Suzanne". Especially, the drum sounds on "Talking in your sleep" are very powerful.

Sounds Of The Universe
Sounds Of The Universe
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars And everything is almost perfect, 29 May 2009
This review is from: Sounds Of The Universe (Audio CD)
I've been Mode fan since 1984: Somegreat Reward.
I'm writing this after my 3rd listening. Before I got this album, I ordered most of other albums in remastered CD+DVD format, watched documentaries VDO from Speak&Spell to Violator, listened to both remastered and 5.1 mixes of all albums, watched 101, Devotional tour, One night in paris, PTA tour in milan DVD concerts. After that, I guess I have brainwashed myself to appreciate everything by Depeche Mode.

And everything is almost perfect... imagine if one day Alan would come back!!!