Profile for G. Barker > Reviews

Content by G. Barker

G. Barker

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars The only saddle I'll use, 14 Sept. 2014
Hasn't been delivered yet but this is my 2nd spoon saddle. It's rare that people find these uncomfortable, personally I can ride about 2 hours without padded shorts on a spoon. They're cheap, pretty well made, look cool and reasonably light.

You can find them cheaper, but this is a limited edition that's not easy to find.

The Newborn Sleep Book: A Simple, Proven Method for Training Your New Baby to Sleep Through the Night
by Lewis Jassey Jonathan Jassey

1.0 out of 5 stars Solid parenting advice for the pathologically selfish, 26 Aug. 2014
Unscientific claptrap from two doctors who should know better. They claim its "scientifically sound" but here's a quote:

“[T]he Jassey Way wasn’t developed from studies, or lab tests, and it hasn’t been ‘proven’ by them either.”

So how do they know it 'works'? They made a "ballpark estimate". Absolutely ridiculous. The advice in this book flies in the face of our current knowledge of infant biology and is one of the worst examples of parent-centric books on the market; they say your needs come first, baby be damned.

It primarily views children as an inconvenience, they must fit into your life because you were here first. They're broken and need fixing. Well should have got a house plant then, because a baby is going to change your life.

If you agree with the premise of this book, you shouldn't have had children.

ToddlerCalm: A guide for calmer toddlers and happier parents
ToddlerCalm: A guide for calmer toddlers and happier parents
by Sarah Ockwell-Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for understanding toddlers, 25 Nov. 2013
I've just finished this and it's a real eye opener. I read BabyCalm and attended the classes, and after a year I feel like a pretty confident parent of a baby. With the toddler years approaching I felt the need to be prepared, so this is the first book I went for. What it does first and foremost is provide facts, not opinions or anecdotes, but actual scientifically verified facts about toddlers; how they are developing, why they do what they do, and how we as parents can help them along.

The science on offer is broken down and explained in a way anyone can understand, but that's not to say it's "dumbed down", it isn't. It's explained clearly and succinctly so anyone can read it, understand it, absorb it and put it to use in your life. Most importantly, it makes you think! It also, again very clearly, is lay out what is normal for a toddler; it may not be societies idea of a 'good' toddler (i.e. compliant, quiet etc) but it's just normal. Reading that is incredibly reassuring and alleviates all kinds of parental stress and anxiety.

What it doesn't do it 1) claim to know your child 2) give you a list of do's and don'ts, which if you can't achieve makes you feel like a failure and 3) set up your toddler and some kind of adversary (the impression I get from many 'child experts') who's out to ruin your life.

If you have a toddler, get it. If you have a baby who's around 1, get it. Arm yourselves with knowledge, and knowledge derived from science not habit and authority.

BabyCalm: A Guide for Calmer Babies and Happier Parents
BabyCalm: A Guide for Calmer Babies and Happier Parents
by Sarah Ockwell-Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed my whole view on parenting, 26 Mar. 2013
I must confess, when my wife first told me about BabyCalm I thought it sounded like hippy nonsense. Didn't take long for me to change my mind; this is because the book is backed up by peer-reviewed studies into what's normal for babies and why western parenting is so out of sync with what babies need.

So many "experts" base their methods on what are essentially Victorian ideas on child rearing, outdated research from the 50's and their experiences of raising other people's children. Gina Ford style regimes are stressful on parents and babies and are unlikely to work long term, this book gets you to stop worrying and just enjoy being a parent.

My wife and I are happy, relaxed and have fun raising our baby. Most importantly, our baby is happy, calm (he rarely cries, just grumbles when hungry) and is freakishly strong thanks to all the baby wearing!

This book shows that parenting, even for first timers like us, doesn't have to be stressful and I seriously think this book should be issued to all new parents.

Hugo (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) (2011)
Hugo (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) (2011)
Dvd ~ Asa Butterfield

1.0 out of 5 stars Two copies, neither work, 1 Jan. 2013
This disc refuses to load on my Pioneer BD player; the firmware is up to date and this disc just causes the player to shut down and re start itself on a loop. Avoid it like the plague, just get the DVD if you want to see the film.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 2, 2013 11:43 PM BST

Akasa AK-CBPW08-40BK Flexa P8 ATX12V 8 Pin Power Extension Cable
Akasa AK-CBPW08-40BK Flexa P8 ATX12V 8 Pin Power Extension Cable

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for modern cases, 27 Dec. 2012
I'm using a Corsair Mod X pro PSU in a Corsair Carbide 300r case, suffice to say it seems they don't talk to each other over at corsair!

The 8 pin power cable from the PSU was stretched tight even with my stock intel CPU cooler, hadn't put in my GFX card yet.

These were not easy to find on the high street and the only one I found was half the length and nowhere near the qualit;, this has the length to keep me cables clear of other components and the air flow through the case, spot on.

Roxy Feel The Beast Scarf (Nomad)
Roxy Feel The Beast Scarf (Nomad)

2.0 out of 5 stars Nicely made scarf, the colour is not as advertised however, 3 Jan. 2012
After receiving this scarf I found that it looked nothing like the picture. I believed I was buying a beige scarf with a pink knitted pattern, what arrived was a dirty grey looking number (intentional, it wasn't actually dirty). It had a nice feel to it, very soft and thick but it's not how it looked in the picture and i ended up paying £12 for shipping and the cost of returning this to the retailer.

Peanut Butter 7 Co Old Fashioned Smooth Peanut Butter 340g (Pack of 6)
Peanut Butter 7 Co Old Fashioned Smooth Peanut Butter 340g (Pack of 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best PB ever, 5 April 2011
You won't find a better peanut butter in the UK. Every other brand I've seen contains palm oil which I try and avoid, even ones which claim to be environmentally friendly (I'm looking at you Whole Earth) and this not only is it palm oil free it tastes awesome, reason enough along to buy some.

I add this to my porridge with Wilkin & Sons Tiptree strawberry jam and it's immense.