Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Learn more Listen with Prime Shop Men's Shop Women's
Profile for Tony Davenport > Reviews

Content by Tony Davenport

Tony Davenport

Page: 1 | 2
Smarter Coffee Machine - WiFi Connected Compatible with iOS and Android
Smarter Coffee Machine - WiFi Connected Compatible with iOS and Android

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty bad coffee - ultimately disappointing machine, 13 Dec. 2015
Disappointed by this. The coffee produced is pretty dire, even on "strong" setting - amazed by the good reviews about it - can't think that those people have actually ever had a good cup of coffee!

It's a nice idea, but ultimately rather fails. To produce 2 cups of decent coffee, I had to set it to 5 cups, wait until I heard the grinding finish, the immediately stop it, set to "filter", then set 2 cups, then start. Hardly ideal for a 'smarter' gadget. No proper control over the 'hotplate' part - no way of knowing if it's on or off except in the app.

Irony is this could be probably be fixed with updated firmware, which I was told was coming, and from looking at the reviews on here other were told the same thing - a couple of months ago. How long does a firmware update take?!

Going to return - ultimately there are much cheaper basic machines that produce better coffee, and unless your bedroom is a huge distance from your kitchen, I'd recommend buying a cheaper machine, walking into your kitchen in the morning and pressing a button.

Orzly® - DuoStand Charge Station for Apple Watch & iPhone - Aluminium Desk Stand Cradle in SILVER with Built-In Insert Slots for both Grommet Wireless Charger and Lightning Cable for use as a fully functional Charging Dock for both your Apple Watch & iPhone Simultaneously - Fits iPhone Models: 5 / 5S / 5C / 6 / 6 PLUS and both 42mm & 38mm sizes of 2015 Watch Models (Original BASIC Model / SPORT Version / and EDITION Models)
Offered by G-Hub

2.0 out of 5 stars Was I just unlucky, or are they all this poorly machined?, 18 Jun. 2015
Maybe the other reviews on here 'got lucky' but mine was INCREDIBLY poorly machined. Rough edges and marks all around - I bought one of the Spigens for a friend - but didn't get it for myself as it was only for the watch, not the iPhone as well. Comparing the finish of the two is night and day. Shocking. I've now ordered one of the Spigens for myself as they are now doing a matching one for iPhone - not all-in-one, as this is, but at least I can rely on the workmanship. At the end of the day, and let's not beat around the bush, this is a cheap bit of machined metal in a specific shape and then sold at a huge markup. I don't mind the later part so much if something is well crafted. This falls WAY below my bar of acceptable - and I think you'll agree if you look at my photos.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Smart wireless Bluetooth Anti-lost alarm for iphone 4s, 5, 5c, 5s,6,6 plus ipad 3 and above, ipad mini and above, ipod touch 5
Offered by Shining Shop

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 9 Jun. 2015
Well it arrived but didn't work - possibly a faulty internal battery. Sending back.

Apple Watch Stand, JETech Apple Watch Charging Stand Station Dock Platform for 38/42mm All Models (Black)
Offered by JEDirect UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Watch out - the positive reviews are for a case, not for this stand!, 22 May 2015
All the reviews on here seem to be for a case, not for this Apple Watch stand!

As far as this stand goes, I would say it is best avoided. The problem is that it is not quite wide enough, and the Apple charging cable has a reinforced section next to the charge plate - this means that either you fit the cable in snuggly in the descending groove, in which case the charger keeps popping upwards because of the cable tension, or you leave cable 'slack' out the left hand side (which looks pretty bad).

Avoid. Evidently designed by people who never actually used it with an Apple Watch charging cable.

Sony KDL55W829B 55-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Smart 3D TV with Freeview HD - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Good 2D performance, but 3d? Meh., 28 Jan. 2015
I bought this (as opposed to the 50" version) as I was given to understand it had 2D to 3D conversion, which is something, when done well, looks pretty cool, and I do find it tends to immerse one in the drama when the programme has not been shot in 3D. At least that's when it's done well in processing, and I thought that buying a Sony would ensure just that. In short, the 2D to 3D processing is fairly pitiful. When I compare it to a recent LG set doing the same thing, the difference is night and day. Even fiddling around with the Sony settings did not yield anything watchable. When fed with a true 3D signal its performance is adequate, but sadly the Active glasses do dim the picture significantly. 2D picture is good almost directly out of the box, requiring minimal tweaking, and only really in switching off various processing options for HD sources.

If I was looking for a good quality 2D set that was also very thin, this Sony might fit the bill, but sadly the 3D aspects let it down.

D-Link DIR-868L/B Wireless AC1750 Dual-Band Gigabit Cloud Router
D-Link DIR-868L/B Wireless AC1750 Dual-Band Gigabit Cloud Router
Offered by BESTBUYIT

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but poor wifi range lets it down., 10 Nov. 2014
OK, but not great. It looks nice and is fully functional (although I did not try any of the Cloud apps), but its weakness is the wifi power. My iMac (which is AC and sits about 12 feet from the router in the same room) could only muster about 400Mbps when on AC - Apple's latest Airport Extreme gets the full 1.3Gbps.

In my bedroom (two rooms away, but not much distance) the TX rate was again much lower than the Airport Extreme, and my laptop (using AC) could only get 50Mbps on speedtest.net - the Apple Airport gets me my full 100Mbps.

Then again, this is a third of the cost of the Airport Extreme, but if truth be told I'd sooner buy a second hand Airport Extreme for £30 more than this one brand new.

I certainly wouldn't recommend this if you have a larger home.

Amazon Fire TV
Amazon Fire TV

2.0 out of 5 stars Am I impressed? Not really ...., 2 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Amazon Fire TV (Electronics)
After lots of messing about with this box and the remote (which seemed to stop functioning if I restarted the box by holding the centre button and the play button) I finally got it working.

Whilst it may be a technically competent device it is marred by the poor user experience.

I am a Prime member so have access to a whole library of Prime movies and TV shows. I thought this box would be a nice way of watching Prime movies, instead of Airplaying stuff from the iOS app to the Apple TV - and more WAG friendly. How wrong I was.

The plus point is the voice search - it works really well. Great fun to see what you actually said appearing on screen without the need to resort to a virtual keyboard. Most of the time the thing I searched for was the number one option in the possible list. Then the problems start ... search results are an irritating mix of both Prime (and therefore free to view) movies and TV shows, and others that Amazon tries to entice you to buy or rent for additional money.

Now I wouldn't have an issue with this if the cost of the box was heavily subsidised a la Sky TV's Now box (which they were flogging for a tenner when it launched), but it isn't - it costs £79. The front menu promotes Amazon's own movies and TV shows - and other apps such as Netflix are relegated to an 'Apps' submenu. Whilst my Apple TV tries to get me to buy or rent stuff from the iTunes store, other services aren't relegated in this same way - the Netflix button lives right next to Apple's movie button.

But at least when I am actually in the Netflix app I can use that super voice search feature, right? Nope. The voice search is only willing to search Amazon's offerings, so if yo want to search within anything else, it's virtual keyboard time. Even my Apple TV allows me to download the Remote app and will pop up a keyboard on my iPhone or iPad when a virtual keyboard is present on the Apple TV screen. If I really wanted I could hit the microphone button and say what I was looking for via dictation. Granted a couple of extra steps, but at least it works universally.

And what about your personal media library? On Fire TV it's a no-go, unless you install a third party app on the Fire TV and on your computer. At least my trusty Apple TV can stream movies and TV shows from my iTunes library over my home network.

It seems Amazon have launched an HDMI stick version in the US which is much cheaper, but fairly comparable, and minus the voice search. Frankly if you're looking for a way to watch Prime on your TV, I'd (depending on the price) wait for that.

(300000 Pixel HD CMOS-Kamera) 7MM IP67 Wasserdichtes Niveau 6 adjustable LED light Endoscope baroscope Inspection Tube Visual Camera, 10M cable

1.0 out of 5 stars HD? Really?, 3 Oct. 2014
This thing is pretty useless quality-wise. I bought it to examine in a wall cavity but things are just a fuzzy mess - I was suckered in by the "HD" claim, but a technical friend pointed out to me that even the lowest form of HD (namely 720p) is 921,600 pixels. At 300,000 this thing is less than a third of that. Added to that everything's completely blurry at the slightest movement of the camera - even with the LED light on full power.

Not great ... not great at all.

Emjoi MICRO Pedi Power Pedicure Device
Emjoi MICRO Pedi Power Pedicure Device

5.0 out of 5 stars It does a fantastic job., 29 Sept. 2014
Yes, I am a man. And I bought this. It does a fantastic job.

Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB USB 3.0 Portable 2.5 Inch External Hard Drive for PC and Mac - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Got a Late 2013 iMac - DON'T BUY THIS DRIVE!, 29 Sept. 2014
This drive has a constant issue with Late 2013 iMacs and the same one (but intermittent) with other Macs like the macbook Pro with Retina display. Had two of these drives and both display exactly the same issue, so it's not a one off.

Basically when the Mac goes to sleep something causes the drive to eject itself leading to an error message that one has unsafely ejected the drive. The other 2TB portable drive that Seagate do (the "Expansion" drive) does not display with fault. It's not as pretty looking or slim, but has the same hard drive inside but evidently a compatible SATA board.

Seagate's tech support was the next best thing to useless. They just kept saying that I'd have to talk to Apple as it was a fault with the iMac or OS X. That much *might* be true, but the fact other drives DON'T display this issue (just this one) is probably some form of sign that the problem is more likely with the drive.

Also the promised Mac backups don't exist - Seagate Dashboard (the bundled software) only has backup functionality on Windows, so it's Time Machine or a third party app. I was hoping not to use Time Machine as I just wanted backups of certain folders, but, as I said, no joy from Seagate - I'd have to buy another app to do it.

The bundled NTFS driver is basically just the Paragon driver, and it's quite old. I experienced data corruption with large video files, which went away when I installed a demo of Paragon's latest version. Again - want to do what Seagate promise? It will cost you more money.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 6, 2015 10:59 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2