Profile for MrsN > Reviews

Content by MrsN

MrsN

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
The Traveling Man (Traveling Series #1) (The Traveling series)
The Traveling Man (Traveling Series #1) (The Traveling series)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Traveling Man, 9 Feb. 2015
I have loved everything from JHB so far, and this one is no different, actually if anything I have loved this book the most!
What separates Jane from other authors at the moment is that she writes such different worlds, and such different characters. The market is saturated with motorcycle clubs, billionaire businessmen, underground fighters and so on, and not that I don't love many of those books in these genres, you can rely on Jane's book to be something completely different. The traveling man is a perfect example of this. Kes lives and works in a traveling carnival, and Jane paints such a beautiful, rich and vibrant picture of this world.
Kes and Aimee meet when they are young children, and it was lovely to see them both as kids and see the world through young Aimee's eyes, and watch their friendship grow and as they get older, develop into a romantic relationship.
This book takes you on a journey, through the highs and lows of Kes and Aimee's lives, and it kept me gripped from the first page to the last. It does end on a cliffhanger, but it's not a terrible cliffy, and I believe book two is being released in the next few months, so the cliffy is totally worth it! :)

Armel® Ultra Compact Smart PU Leather Case Cover for Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2013 & Previous Generation 2012 with Magnetic Support Sleep Wake Function ereader sleeve [will only fit Kindle Paperwhite (5th and 6th Generation)]
Offered by Armel-UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good case for the money!, 13 Oct. 2014
This is a much cheaper version of the official Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Case. The Amazon one retails for around £28, this one (in red) was £6.99. So it's much cheaper, and to be fair, having owned both, you can tell the difference.
I bought the Amazon case 2 years ago because it was the only one at the time that fit the kindle like this, without straps, and had the wake/sleep function. However after two years of use, the edging is coming off the case, making it sticky and not pleasant to hold. So I was reluctant to fork out another £30 for one, especially when these cheaper versions are now available.
This case does fit the paperwhite much like the Amazon one does, and it feels nice and secure in there. However, you can feel the difference in the material and build quality. The type of plastic used is cheaper, there is a few sharp rough edges at the bottom that I will need to file down for comfort, and the cover of the case doesn't sit totally flush with the back so I assume bits of dirt and dust will be able to get in there once it's shoved inside my bag. The front cover has some wrinkles on it, and looks and feels much cheaper than the Amazon one generally.
Having said all that however, these are acceptable to me considering the £20 difference in the price. I don't think you'd notice these issues unless you'd had experienced the quality build of the official Amazon product. Also, with no fancy painted edges, I assume I won't be having the same problem of melting edging strips with this one that I had with the Amazon one.
Overall, this seems good quality for the money. If you can afford it and can justify the cost I would probably go for the Amazon one, as I bet they have fixed the melting strip issue by now, but if you want something reasonably priced to protect your kindle then you can't complain for this case at this price really!

Play: Stage Dive series 2
Play: Stage Dive series 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Play (Stage Dive Series Book 2), 13 Oct. 2014
I LOVED this book!! Mal and Anne's story is brilliant, probably the best of the series so far (out of the three I've read). Mal is a real character, and had me giggling away whilst reading it right from the start. They have great chemistry and their story had me hooked from page one!!
We do learn there is more depth to this man than you expect too.
Great, quick, easy, addictive read, just like the others in this series! I'd highly recommend!

Dangerous to Know & Love
Dangerous to Know & Love

5.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous to Know & Love, 13 Oct. 2014
Everything of Jane Harvey-Berrick's that I have read so far I have loved. You can rely on Jane to write a truly beautiful story, her words are almost poetic.
Another thing Jane does is lead you into a book expecting one thing (from the synopsis) then delivers something entirely more deep and profound than you were expecting! She's a genius!
I can't say much about why I loved this story without giving away the plot so I won't! Just know, it's not what you'll be expecting, it's so much more!

TAINT
TAINT

4.0 out of 5 stars TAINT, 13 Oct. 2014
This review is from: TAINT (Kindle Edition)
This book had huge potential, but I think it fell a little bit flat for me unfortunately. I loved the premise, it was a great idea for a story, and it was a refreshing change to have the whole book from a male POV. This is probably only the third or fourth book I've read purely from the male POV.
But it did have it's issues. Like others have said, not THAT much happened till way down the line, and the lessons weren't quite as interesting or shocking as I expected. The ladies seemed to have a lot of 'down-time' after like an hour's lesson a day, which seemed odd.
The twist at the end was a little bit rushed in, and I think it needed a little bit more of a build up.
Overall, I did enjoy it and read it very quickly but there were a few issues that affected my enjoyment.

Deacon (The Unfinished Heroes Series Book 4)
Deacon (The Unfinished Heroes Series Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure KA Goodness!, 13 Oct. 2014
I absolutely adored this book!! It has to be one of my all-time favourite Kristen Ashley books, and considering I've read almost all of them, that is saying something!! This is Kristen Ashley back at her best.
I loved the slow build of their feelings, the lack of "insta-love" and the kind of tragedy of them both feeling this way about each other and not doing anything about it for so many years, but then being rewarded for their patience with an epic love!
Deacon is definitely a KA alpha, but he isn't overbearing like some, he trusts Cassie's judgement and lets her deal with her own stuff while just backing her up, which I loved about him! He's also a little bit kinky!! ;)
This book was also missing the major drama factor, for example a KA heroine often finds herself kidnapped or beaten up or under attack from some 'bad guys' but this didn't happen in Deacon and it was a nice change.
Thoroughly loved this book!!!

Lead: Stage Dive series 3
Lead: Stage Dive series 3

4.0 out of 5 stars Lead, 13 Oct. 2014
Another great Stage Dive novel! I loved Jimmy and Lena's story, and I loved having a strong, fesity heroine, who took no stick from Jimmy! The build up was lovely and slow, not insta-love.
The only things stopping this getting 5 stars from me was that it seemed to end pretty quick, they got together right at the end then it was over, no time to enjoy them as a couple. And also, I think this book would have really benefitted from a chapter or two, or even the odd paragraph from Jimmy's perspective, because he came across as a bit of an ass for much of the book, and didn't really give many indications (if any) that he was into Lena until right near the end, so I think a chapter or paragraph of his voice, would have helped this.
Overall though, I loved it! I stayed up way too late and read this in one straight sitting!!

Second Chance
Second Chance

5.0 out of 5 stars Second Chance, 5 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Second Chance (Kindle Edition)
Loved this book!! It was well written, the characters felt very real, and you could really empathise with them. I did NOT see the twist coming at all, which was great!

Black Lies
Black Lies

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!, 5 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Black Lies (Kindle Edition)
WOW! Just....WOW!

Let me start by saying that I HATE adultery, I don't like it in real life and I don't like reading about it in books, so the synopsis initially put me off this book. But then I kept seeing people all over facebook rave about it, I saw almost every book blog I follow giving it 5 stars so I had another look, and I saw that last line, "If you think you've heard this story before, trust me - you haven't." so I thought I better check this out.
I can't say much about this, apart from that the blurb is exactly correct, it's nothing like you expect it to be AT ALL.
If you haven't yet read this book, I'll give you one piece of advice - STOP reading reviews about it and just read it. Seriously, go into this blind like I did, you'll be glad you did later. No matter how many "spoiler free" reviews you read, you're bound to pick up something, so just stop, buy the book and read it!
Possibly one of the best books of the year so far for me! Loved it! :)

Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City Book 1)
Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars This was a great read! It was intelligent, 15 July 2014
This was a great read! It was intelligent, witty and had me laughing out loud many times. It's also not entirely what you expect from the title! I am very keen to carry on this series and pick up more books by Penny Reid. I met her recently at a signing and she was so lovely, and funny and quirky!
The only gripe I had about this book was the passages of rambling 'nerd speak' that I found a bit boring, so once I got used to them, I kind of skim read those bits!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10