Profile for Yannis > Reviews

Content by Yannis

Yannis "The Douros" (Olney, Buckinghamshire, UK)

TP-LINK TL-MR3420 300 Mbps 3G/4G Wireless N Cable Router
TP-LINK TL-MR3420 300 Mbps 3G/4G Wireless N Cable Router

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly ok, but..., 1 May 2012
So far:

Compatibility with my 3 dongle (E967): No problem

- iPad over Wireless: OK.
- Old Ubuntu PC over Ethernet cable: OK
- Vista laptop over Ethernet cable: OK
- Same Vista laptop over Wireless: Hopeless.

The latter seems to be a very common Vista problem with many routers, as I discovered during the five hours of Google searches in an unsuccessful attempt to resolve the problem. There seem to be at least four different proposed solutions, some work for some routers, none seems to be working for this one.

I am still trying though, and at least I can connect with a cable, so it's not exactly a tragedy. So far I have tried everything apart from upgrading the drivers/firmware, so I am still holding some hope over this.

Four stars instead of five because of that, shame because everything else I have thrown at it has worked fine.

Over the weekend I will also try with a Windows 7 laptop, to see if the problem also occurs there.

Samsung E1182 Silver Duos - Dual Twin 2 Sim Card Mobile Phone
Samsung E1182 Silver Duos - Dual Twin 2 Sim Card Mobile Phone

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic little phone, 20 April 2012
This is the cheapest, and yet probably the best phone I have ever bought. Does exactly what I want it to do, with no superfluous bells and whistles. Dual-SIM functionality is faultless and dead simple. If, like me, all you care about is calls and SMS, this is definitely the phone for you and, for that low price, one cannot go wrong - well done Samsung! Everything worked straight out of the box. The manual is a bit minimal but, really, there isn't much to put in there.

I understand that this series includes some more feature-rich models (with the price increasing proportionally). If this little thing is anything to go by, I would have no doubts about trying another one from this range if I ever need things like camera/wifi/3G.

Extra points to Samsung for implementing proper Greek language support - an important and well appreciated feature for me when looking for a phone. There are still some manufacturers out there who treat Greek speakers as second-class customers, but not this one.

BLUE Silicone Skin Case + Bonus PINK Classic Silicone For iPod Classic 80gb & 120gb

4.0 out of 5 stars Only one minor gripe, 12 Jan. 2011
Using the scroll wheel when covered with a sheet of silicon takes some getting used to, especially in low temperatures. It can be a bit clunky, and you need to use a bit more extra force.

That being said, it is a perfect fit for my 160GB iPod, looks as good in the skin as it does without, protects the iPod very well and for the price, one cannot complain. I have tried quite a few products for my iPod, this is the one I am going to stick to, despite the scrolling issue. Essentially, combined with a transparent screen guard, you can just slip the device into bags and pockets comfortably, no longer need to get precious about it, it's well protected.

The Living Tree
The Living Tree

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, as always!, 12 Jan. 2011
This review is from: The Living Tree (Audio CD)
Well, I cheated a bit, because first I went to see their gig at the O2 in London, so I knew exactly what I was getting.

These two are mellowing nicely with age, they are not losing their talent at all. Nice, mostly soothing melodies with no shortage of moving, intense parts.

Canon EOS 550D Digital SLR Camera (inc 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens Kit) - (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 12 Jan. 2011
Got this as an upgrade from my slightly aging EOS 350D. Have wanted to do this for quite some time: Nothing wrong with the image wuality of the 350D, but the dust on the sensor and the tiny screen with lots of colour distortion were starting to get on my nerves.

With the 550D I got a self cleaning sensor, a more-than-decent large screen, a sharper kit lens, and a few more megapixels to play with. So far I have taken it out on two serious shooting missions and I am exrtemely impressed with the results. This camera is more than the sum of its parts, the overall improvement in image quality and sharpness and colour reproduction is simply more than one would expect from the list of point improvements stated above. Haven't regretted it a single bit!

Canon IXUS 105 Digital Camera - Silver (12.1 MP, 4x Optical Zoom) 2.7 Inch PureColor LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars Just right, 12 Jan. 2011
Was looking for something small and handy to own along my SLR (actually never owned a digital compact before). Has all I want and then some. Sturdy, compact, dead easy to use, and the image quality is just stunning! Has the same processor (DIGIC-IV) as my 550D SLR, and somehow it shows - no of course not a replacement for an SLR, but as compacts go, some of the best fun one can have for £100.

Perpetual Burn
Perpetual Burn

5.0 out of 5 stars Another blast from the past!, 26 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Perpetual Burn (Audio CD)
Came across the CD as I was reminiscing over the web. The tape I used to have it on got played so much that it nearly melted away.

If you like Satriani, Vai, and the rest of that crowd, you will love this one!!!

Mind's Eye
Mind's Eye

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice to find it again!, 26 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Mind's Eye (Audio CD)
I first discovered this back in the early nineties. Used to have it on vinyl, then had to sell all my LPs because of moving around too much and not having the space.

Eventually I settled, looked around for it on CD, but was really hard to find, and only as an expensive US import. Until recently, I looked again and there it was - thanks Amazon!!!

Sounds as good now as it was the first time around, a nice blast of melodic guitar power. Good stuff!!!

Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC HSM - Canon fit lens
Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC HSM - Canon fit lens
Offered by Luzern

3.0 out of 5 stars Not entirely sure about that one (initially, but now ok)..., 27 July 2009
The reason for the three stars is the reliablility.

(But please READ ON, there is an update at the bottom!)

I have been very pleased with the performance of the lens as such, but four months on the auto-focus failed.

I can still focus manually and I can autofocus with all my other lenses, so I am pretty confident it is the lens and not the camera.

I have been using Sigma lenses for years, this is the first time ever that one of them disappoints me. Come to think of it, it is my first Sigma lens with HSM, so maybe it could be a problem with the Sigma HSM implementation, don't know as I have nothing available to compare against.

After contacting Amazon they responded straight away, but recommended that I contact Sigma directly as they are the issuers of the 12-month guarantee for the product. Spoke to Sigma and now I have to send them the lens so that I can have a look at it. I umnderstand that this is common practice and it makes perfect sense, but not very enamoured with the idea of putting a lens in the post (and paying for the postage). Anyway, I am about to post it as I have no other reasonable option, then wait and see. Shame about the hassle, as I am pleased with the shots taken with this lens, and I was about to give it a 5-star rating. I will probably come back and give it a higher rating if Sigma manage to respond in a satisfactory way.

- The Douros

UPDATE 29 Aug 2009:

The auto focus fault seems to have rectified itself. I decided to take the lens with me on a recent trip to Hong Kong and use it manually, then ship it later. All of a sudden it started focusing automatically again, and with it I took some of my best shots ever. Perhaps I have been doing something wrong myself, I intend to contact Sigma's tech support and see if they have anything to comment on it, but I am very happy that I don't have to ship it back to them. It is soon becoming one of my favourite lenses. And I will raise my rating from 3 to 5 stars as soon as I figure out how to do it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 27, 2011 9:23 AM GMT