Profile for mentalguru > Reviews

mentalguru "dunno" (uk)

Bolan Boogie
Bolan Boogie

4.0 out of 5 stars Good compilation but due a remaster, 9 Aug 2010
This review is from: Bolan Boogie (Audio CD)
Released as a cash in at the time of his phenomenal success during 1972, this is actually a worthy compilation mixing Tyrannosaurus Rex and T.Rex tracks, with some great b-sides thrown in, like the peerless 'Raw Ramp' - a b-side!?
But I do have to agree with the other poster here that it should be remastered. Nevertheless, a good compilation for the casual Bolan fan.

Selected Poems
Selected Poems
by Carol Ann Duffy

5.0 out of 5 stars Duffy bashers back off!, 21 Mar 2009
This review is from: Selected Poems (Paperback)
Duffy is one of those poets who divides opinions to such extremes, she must be doing something good. The reactionary anti-feminism or passive misogyny that is evident in criticism of her, overlooks the fact that her work is engaging and accessible, while other 'superior' poets remain in the realm of academic snobbery.
Duffy is a poet with a bit of spit and bile and personally I love her work.

BOSS MICRO-BR recording Multitracks
BOSS MICRO-BR recording Multitracks

3.0 out of 5 stars Great but not that easy to get to grips with..., 15 Nov 2008
Agree with most of these reviews by people - it is good value BUT not that quick and easy to get to use. I fiddled around for ages as the prerecorded demo song kept playing when I wanted to create a rhythm pattern. I ended up erasing it. I then could not get the patterns to play - even though I followed the instructions. After re-inserting the memory card, they magically worked! So, be prepared to tear your hair out for a while!
Do not like the inability to record two tracks at the same time. It is very inconvenient to me who likes to sing while I play. So verdict is that this little gadget is quite frustrating to use. Also, a big negative for me is that this will not allow you to record a drum pattern to the recording tracks. The drum pattern plays independently which I find annoying - I like to build rhythm tracks I can go back to and add things to. You can do this if you build your own loops but that is time-consuming and sometimes you just want a quick beat to riff along to.
However, I would say that this gadget is great for songwriters who want to capture ideas and it IS good value for money despite the technical drawbacks I mentioned. Is three stars too harsh a judgement you might think? Maybe, but as I stated above, the inability to record two tracks at once AND not be able to record a drum pattern to the tracks is something that will not go away for me - sort it out Boss and your machine will be perfect!