Profile for mummy spoon > Reviews

Content by mummy spoon
Top Reviewer Ranking: 993

mummy spoon (South Yorkshire)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Runaway Bride [DVD] [1999]
Runaway Bride [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ Julia Roberts
Offered by streetsahead
Price: 3.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Predictable but I love it., 13 Jan 2014
This review is from: Runaway Bride [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
Runaway bride is a predictable Rom-com, we know straight away where it's all headed and the characters are as they always are in these films but I love it despite that. It's a funny and sweet story set in beautiful countryside, Julia Roberts and Richard Gere are a tried and tested pairing and it's just one of those films perfect for a sunday afternoon.
If you love films like Sleepless in Seattle, You've got mail, Pretty woman or just Rom-coms in general then you are sure to like this one, it ticks all the boxes and leaves you with a smile on your face.

Quartet [DVD]
Quartet [DVD]
Dvd ~ Maggie Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully British !, 13 Jan 2014
This review is from: Quartet [DVD] (DVD)
Quartet is set in a beautiful estate called Beecham House which is a retirement home for musicians.The basic story is about raising money to keep the house running but I found this film to be more about the characters and the difficulties of ageing .
There are some great characters in this film, the main four are the actors who carry the film but I particularly liked the background cast who were made up of real musicians and it was wonderful to see them performing their talents. There is always music and chatter about the good old days and the fact that it's real really makes this film, it never seems forced or scripted, it makes this film something special.
Quartet has humour and heartbreak, some moments are uplifting and others heartfelt, we see how these people are forced to accept the realities of growing old, leaving behind great musical careers but it's not as depressing as it sounds, I couldn't help but smile through most of this film, it's beautifully written and directed and one I know I will watch again and again.

Pitch Perfect (Blu-ray + Digital Copy + UV Copy) [2012]
Pitch Perfect (Blu-ray + Digital Copy + UV Copy) [2012]
Dvd ~ Anna Kendrick
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Ac-amazing !, 13 Jan 2014
This film draws you in straight away with some gorgeous singing from the male A cappella group on campus at Barden University where the film is set, we are then quickly introduced to the main character Beca played by Anna Kendrick who is not happy to be there, she's a little alternative and doesn't think college life has anything to offer her, she wants to go to LA to get into music production.
Beca's dad who teaches at Barden makes a deal with his daughter when she doesn't embrace what's on offer, he says she can go to LA after one year if she still hates it but only if she joins one extra curricular activity.
After some persuasion from one of the leaders of the female A Cappella team, The Barden Bellas, Beca decides to go to the auditions and she's really good, it's there that we also meet the rest of the main cast.
There are some great supporting characters in this film, Beca's love interest Jesse played by Skylar Astin who wants to score movies and joins the boys rival A Cappella group 'The treble makers' and Beca's team mates on 'The Barden Bellas',Fat Amy played by Rebel Wilson in particular, she has most of the funny lines.I should also mention Elizabeth Banks and John Michael Higgins who play the commentators at the competitions, though they are small parts, they stood out to me as some of the best parts of Pitch perfect, these were the parts which had my sister and I laughing out loud.
There is so much to enjoy in this film, The singing is fantastic, the script is witty and quick and the characters were diverse and interesting, I particularly liked some of the funny lines playing on musical words, I won't spoil those though.
Overall Pitch perfect is a great film, yes it's a bit predictable but it's not cheesy,I love Glee which this is obviously going to be compared to but this is slicker, it's all pretty cool and the singing is truly stunning, I can't wait for the sequel.

Admission [DVD] [2013]
Admission [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Tina Fey
Price: 4.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected., 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: Admission [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I thought admission would just be another comedy, nothing great, just a bit of fun, especially given the two main actors. Don't get me wrong I love Paul Rudd and Tina Fey, they just tend to be in a particular type of film, this was very different from what I was expecting.
I don't want to say too much about the plot as I could spoil it but I felt there was quite a heartfelt story and the setting was original and interesting.
I would recommend this to anyone who likes Tina Fey or Paul Rudd, don't expect big laughs though, It's deeper than that, though I did laugh out loud a few times.

Justin and the Knights of Valour [DVD]
Justin and the Knights of Valour [DVD]
Dvd ~ Freddie Highmore

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked it !, 8 Jan 2014
Justin and the knights of valour is a great film, it's not on the same level as Toy Story or Shrek but it's fun, has a good story and script,likeable characters and the animation is as good as Dreamworks and the like.
I think these types of films are often judged too harshly but at the end of the day, they are aimed at children, mine loved it and I quite liked it too which is a bonus, we are definitely ordering the Blu-ray, I look forward to watching it again.

Free Birds [DVD]
Free Birds [DVD]
Dvd ~ Woody Harrelson
Price: 7.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad !, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: Free Birds [DVD] (DVD)
As animated films go, this is certainly not my favorite but my two children and I agreed we enjoyed it. The animation is great, the characters are likeable and funny and the story kept us engaged. I can't think of anything I dislike about Free birds, it just doesn't have that wow factor which would make it really great.
I would give it 3.5 stars if I could as 3 stars seems a little harsh and 4 a bit generous, I would still recommend it to families with children under 10, it's a funny film and kids will definitely enjoy it.

The Croods [Blu-ray] [2013]
The Croods [Blu-ray] [2013]
Dvd ~ Nicolas Cage
Offered by Discs4all
Price: 7.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it !, 7 Jan 2014
I missed this one at the cinema but was looking forward to finally seeing it when my Blu-ray arrived, this was a pretty long wait though as for some unknown reason, the release date kept being put back. When it did finally arrive, just in time to wrap it up for my son for Christmas, I wasn't so excited to see it.
Today my son and I were ill and he picked this one out to watch and I have to say I was totally surprised at how much I loved it.As the credits rolled I had a huge smile on my face and tears in my eyes, I will definitely be giving it a second viewing very soon.
The animation of The Croods is beautiful, I only wish we had seen it in 3D as I'm sure it would look amazing. The story is good, although it takes a few ideas from Ice Age, I didn't know how it would all end and it had us both glued to the screen. The characters were all great as were the voices but I particularly liked Grug (voiced by Nicolas Cage), Guy voiced by Ryan Reynolds,the cute and funny 'Belt' and Eep (voiced by Emma Stone).
I love Dreamworks films and it's hard to criticize any of their work in my opinion, there are some stand out films such as Shrek and of course Madagascar but they always seem to get it right, this film proves that further, it is one of the best animated pictures I have seen in a while, kids and grown ups are sure to love it.

Super Buddies [DVD]
Super Buddies [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars My son's favorite buddies film !, 4 Jan 2014
This review is from: Super Buddies [DVD] (DVD)
We have collected all the buddies films over the years and my son has enjoyed them all but he said this is the best and I think I have to agree.
It's very fun, has a great storyline and kids will love the superpowers the puppies have, can't say anything bad about it really, if you like these films then this will definitely be a hit.

The Campaign (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [2013] [Region Free]
The Campaign (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [2013] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Will Ferrell
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love anchorman....., 4 Jan 2014
I'm a big fan of Will Ferrell and have loved pretty much every film I've seen him in but this is one of his best in my opinion, yes there are some silly jokes, but I have honestly never laughed so much at a film, my sides hurt when it was over.
Since watching it, I have bought it for several family members who have all enjoyed it too so if you like Will Ferrell's style, particularly in Anchorman then I am sure this will be a hit.

Identity Thief [DVD] [2012]
Identity Thief [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Jason Bateman

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty funny !, 4 Jan 2014
This review is from: Identity Thief [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
Jason Bateman plays the character Sandy who has had his identity stolen by Melissa McCarthy's character Diana, it costs him everything and the police don't seem in any rush to sort it so he sets out to claim back his life.
This film may not be the funniest film I've ever seen but it's better than most and it doesn't scrape the bottom of the barrel for laughs, it stays on a level which I think makes it a decent comedy unlike several I have seen in the last year which made me cringe they were so silly.
Both McCarthy and Bateman are very capable comedy actors and if you like either of them I would recommend checking this out, a road trip comedy with a different spin, it's staying on my shelf.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20