Profile for Lydia > Reviews

Content by Lydia

Lydia "Liddykins" (Lancashire)

Scotch Pop Up Desk Grip Dispenser (Grey)
Scotch Pop Up Desk Grip Dispenser (Grey)
Offered by P.E. (AS) Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab, 18 Jan. 2016
Great, makes wrapping presents a breeze. Can't imagine life without it!

VTech Pre-School Touch and Teach Tablet
VTech Pre-School Touch and Teach Tablet

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item, 18 Jan. 2016
Loved by both my 2 and a half year old and nearly 4 year old. Only criticism is that screen is not back lit so can be difficult to see sometimes even though contrast is adjustable. Even my younger child can use the pen and follow lones to write letters and my older daughter has now started to write the letters she has learned with a pen and paper too. Keeps them entertained for ages

VTech My 1st Tablet (Blue)
VTech My 1st Tablet (Blue)

5.0 out of 5 stars A very entertaining and educational toy, 18 Jan. 2016
This review is from: VTech My 1st Tablet (Toy)
This is a great toy which was purchased for my 2 and a half year old but my nearly 4 year old loves it too. While my younger child plays with it a lot she doesn't really understand the games.My older daughter really engages with it and it has different levels and she likes the challenge of going up a level if she gets the tasks correct. Loads of variety with number and word games and I can see them both enjoying this for a long time to come. It's also backlit so useful for long car journeys too.small enough to pop in bag when out and about. Very pleased

Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Perfect Prep Machine - White
Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Perfect Prep Machine - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every SINGLE penny!!!, 28 July 2013
We agonised over whether to buy this machine as obviously money is tight when expecting a new baby and facing reduced income. Lots of people we discussed it with said it was a luxury item and not worth the money. However our view is that something that you will use several times a day every day for at least a year is probably worth the money. We were right!

As this is our second child we experimented with various ways of preparing formula feeds last time around and nothing was perfect. One of the things I dreaded this time around was the endless round of heating or cooling bottles with a screaming baby, this is particularly a problem with night feeds. This machine couldn't be simpler, two pushes of a button and a quick shake and a feed is dispensed at the perfect temperature in two minutes without any hassle. We couldn't recommend it more.

The only two slight gripes are the annoyingly loud beep it makes, ours is in the kitchen so its not really a problem but would be a problem if planning to keep it in the bedroom. I just don't see why the beep is necessary. Secondly the smallest amount it prepares is 4oz. I found in the early days before you get into a routine with feeding you may want to prepare small amounts of 1 or 2 oz to top up and in any event you tend to start at around 3 oz,. the machine goes up to 11oz which we have never used with either of our children. I would suggest that perhaps the larger amounts are less use and that future models might start at lower amounts as we found ourselves throwing a lot of formula away in the early days. Having two under two we use this both for our newborn and our older child to prepare follow on milk. We are also planning to take it away with us on holiday as its not that big and hopefully will resolve the worry of preparing bottles safely while abroad. The other thing to note is that although it is Tommee Tippee, it is universal so can be used with any type of bottle.

Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Sterilisation Bags
Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Sterilisation Bags

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for new parents,especially if you're travelling, 11 May 2013
This is the second purchase of this product we have made.We used these when our first daughter was born 14 months ago and with daughter number two due in a few weeks these were definitely on our list of essential items for her arrival.
These may not be the cheapest equivalent product on the market but the quality reflects in the price.The bags are very strong and robust and one pack got us through the year with our first daughter.We keep one in the changing bag, one at grandparents' house and have used the others for holidays and visits to family and friends further afield.We have only used it to sterilise bottles and dummies but found you can fit a reasonable amount in each use and they do the job quickly. A great space saver when travelling with baby.There are lots of products on sale in the baby market that are a waste of time and money.These do not fall into that category.

Doidy Cup - Purple Sparkles
Doidy Cup - Purple Sparkles
Offered by Baby Deals

4.0 out of 5 stars Didn't think this would work...I was wrong!, 2 Aug. 2012
Purchased this solely on basis of positive reviews and the fact that its so cheap so thought not much to lose if it doesn't work. In looking at it when it arrived I was very sceptical that my five month old daughter would be able to drink from it. I have tried her with the vital cup in both free flow and valved mode and she can't get the hang of sucking with the valve in and chokes when its in free flow mode. She immediately went for the handles on this (although would agree with other reviews that say that handles could be improved) and guided it towards her mouth, she was able to sip at her own pace and took to it easily. I like the idea of it because I think it will help her adjust to using a 'proper' cup in the long term. I think things will get messy with this as she gets older but children are messy so don't see it being too much of a problem

The New Contented Little Baby Book: The Secret to Calm and Confident Parenting
The New Contented Little Baby Book: The Secret to Calm and Confident Parenting
by Gina Ford

4.0 out of 5 stars It could work for you, 12 May 2012
I was given an earlier edition of this book while pregnant, I flicked through it and threw it to one side thinking it wasn't much use. Fast forward a few months and I was struggling with our two week old who seemed constantly hungry and grouchy. Feeding on demand would indicate that the only reason your child cries is because they are hungry, this is simply not true. I turned to the latest edition of this book (because some of the information in the earlier one was outdated) in the hope for some structure and routine. Some people would argue that babies should not be made to follow a routine. I think if you are an organised person who is used to routine, the chaos of new motherhood is very hard and if mum is anxious and stressed babies pick up on this. Our daughter fell easily into the feeding routine and from about three weeks onwards we were able to establish a bedtime routine with her going to bed at 7pm, feeding at 10pm and again at 3am. By seven weeks she was consistently sleeping through the night. Daytime naps took a bit longer to establish but now at 11 weeks she has three naps a day and is indeed a contented little baby. During this time I fell in and out of love with this book and there were times when I wondered why dear daughter wasn't doing what Gina said she should be doing! At these times I set aside the book and went with the flow, going back to it when little one was more settled.

I think there is a lot of hysteria surounding this book. It does not involve leaving your baby to cry until their prescribed feed time or putting your needs above baby's as some people have suggested. I would definitely not have followed a routine unquestioningly if it made my daughter unhappy. There were times when we tweeked things slightly to suit her while still sticking to the overarching principles. I think sometimes the tone Gina uses doesn't help her come accross well as she sometimes appears slightly smug. She seems to suggest instant results and a baby that never cries, this in my view isn't realistic but during the first few months we have been able to establish a good routine that has led to her being increasingly contented.

Overall I would say don't dismiss this book due to all the negative press, . If you crave routine then this could be for you. If you feel you want to try it then give it a go, don't expect instant results but if it doesn't work for you try tweeking it or try something else.

Summer Infant SwaddleMe Small Wrap (Flutter)
Summer Infant SwaddleMe Small Wrap (Flutter)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had known about this sooner, 24 Mar. 2012
I cannot speak highly enough of this product. Since birth our daughter would thrash her arms and legs around violently in her sleep often waking herself up and claw at her face. The more she thrashed the more agitated she would get leading to many restless nights for me and her. I tried swaddling her in a sheet or just tucking her in tightly but she would always escape. While I recognise swaddling is not recommended nowadays because of the dangers of overheating, as this is such a lightweight cotton material I feel I can swaddle her and still keep her at a sensibe temperature as long as I dress her appropriately and don't smother her with extra covers. Also the velcro tabs keep it all in position so I don't worry about it working her way up over her face.

The first time we put her into it she was four weeks old, she slept soundly for four hours without a murmur...a first! When I got her up, fed her and changed her and put her back in it she looked really contented and fell asleep straight away without her dummy (which I never wanted to use in the first place but was the only thing that would get her to sleep). I now believe that new borns feel comforted when they have the feeling of being tightly held, a comfort that she was previously getting from sucking.

The pattern is pretty and the fabric good quality, daughter is around 9 ibs now and it fits her well with room to spare. All in all a great product and a contented baby and mummy!

Pass Your Driving Test/Driving Nerves
Pass Your Driving Test/Driving Nerves
by Glenn Harrold
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 years and I've finally passed!, 20 Nov. 2009
I first started to learn to drive 10 years ago, although I was competant on my lessons when it came to my test I went completely to pieces. After a number of tests my nerves got the better of me and I gave up. Ten years later after getting thoroughly sick of public transport and getting rained on I finally decided enough was enough and bought this CD.

The CD contains two tracks approximately 30 mins each, one which deals with general driving nerves and will be useful even after your test if you still find yourself to be a nervous driver. The other track is designed to help you conquer your nerves on the day of your test. I used both every day for approximately 2 weeks before my test. I immediately started to notice a difference in my driving, felt more confident and aware and although I still had bad days and was still nervous on the morning of my test when I actually started my test I felt perfectly calm and collected. I passed with only 4 minors and although I prepared myself in lots of different ways like I would for any exam or test I feel that this CD really helped me cope with my nerves which was a large part of the battle. I would recommend this to anyone who feels their nerves are holding them back, keep an open mind, it really does work!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 29, 2010 1:26 PM BST