Profile for Davey H > Reviews

Content by Davey H

Davey H (UK)

Babylon Beach Beats (Ibiza)
Babylon Beach Beats (Ibiza)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice laid back beach grooves, 30 Sep 2013
Nice and original. 11 tracks in full (not in the mix). Nice and chilled, laid back sounds. Go for it if you like the Cafe Del Mar discs.

Hotel Es Vive Ibiza
Hotel Es Vive Ibiza

5.0 out of 5 stars Seamless records is my new favourite label!, 13 Aug 2013
This review is from: Hotel Es Vive Ibiza (Audio CD)
I was looking for some summer mixes having bought Hed Kandi Beach House 2013 a few months back and really getting back into this style of House music. I stumbled upon Hotel Es Vive Ibiza Sessions Volume One and I'm glad I did.

Disc in a nutshell:

Disc 1 is ambient, blissed out, poolside moods.
Disc 2 is all about the beachy, afternoony style of House music.
Disc 3 is more evening orientated, with its faster and deeper House.

This is my opinion. I'm sure the 'pigeon holers' and the 'genre obsessives' will have something to say about that.

Anyway, this is a really low key, independent label release (although it doesn't deserve to be!) and the music and vision are way above of the commercial releases of 2013. It is compiled and mixed by real people which is now a dying art.

Buy this instead of Hed Kandi Ibiza or any of the others for that matter.

After hearing this I immediately ordered the next Seamless compilation/mix - El Chiringuito Ibiza Beach House Sessions Volume One (disc two mixed by Groove Armada!).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 4, 2013 10:52 AM BST

Fierce Angel pres Fierce Disco VI
Fierce Angel pres Fierce Disco VI

4.0 out of 5 stars This is disco., 1 Aug 2013
I am intrigued by the fact that a 'disco' was once a place to go and meet and dance and the genre of this style of dance music was born out of this ethos. Disco became House and the rest is history. Of course 'discos' in the original sense no longer exist and have been replaced by their 21st century counterparts with their overpriced cover charges, expensive drinks, drugs and over-eager clubbers. The essence however remains the same.

In a market saturated by overtly commercial offerings and electro dubstep sound-mashes that are gratingly labeled as 'EDM' comes this breath of fresh air. It is Disco. It is House. It is funky, soulful and energetic. The 12 tracks on each disc gradually increase in tempo and impact as the CD progresses. I've listened to all of disc one and only two thrids of disc two but I got the message.

Towards the end of disc one their are some familar samples that have been rechopped and rehashed into something new and refreshing and I really got a sense of late 90s nostalgia with this. It was a good thing!

I turned down Hed Kandi Ibiza 2013 for this and I think I made the right choice. You should probably buy this.

PLUS POINT: I ordered this yesterday but I haven't actually received the CD yet, in fact as I write this it has yet to be despatched. The new 'AutoRip' feature meant I could stream this from my Android phone via Amazon Mp3 when I got home last night. I opted to listen to the full length mix mp3 files but every track in its entirety is also included. In fact if you purchase the CD you get the full MP3 version of the album that you would get if you paid £7.50 for it... for FREE. This is a concept that I have been waiting for for years and hopefully this will help to revive the industry somewhat.

Ok so Amazon aren't great, they are sucking the life out the British High-Street, they aren't contributing to our economy fully by employing 'tax-dodges' left, right and centre but if you're the poor consumer there is not many other places to turn nowadays. Its a vicious circle I'm afraid.

Cafe Del Mar: Volúmen Uno y Dos
Cafe Del Mar: Volúmen Uno y Dos
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget Ministry of Sound..., 4 Jun 2013
and their 50th 'Chillout Album' release with exactly the same tracks on and get the first eight Cafe Del Mar CDs. Mixed by José Padilla, these original, unmixed albums set the standard in ambient, lounge and down-tempo music since 1994.

In this double disc pack you get Volume 1 & 2 (the albums were originally released as single volumes) and the timeless standard of quality music is perfect if you like to sit back and relax to blissful sounds.

So, in summary. Buy this. Then buy Volumes 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, & 8 (available on double discs also). Open your patio doors, windows or flap on your cardboard box when the sun is out. Stick this in the stereo and drift off to some quite oustanding music that you will fall in love with. Also works great indoors on rainy days, if you are snowed in or just kicking back on a grey Sunday afternoon.

Hospitality Drum and Bass 2012
Hospitality Drum and Bass 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST Hospitality mix by my standards, 4 Jun 2013
I rate this CD/Mix as the best in the Hospitality series by far. I first listened to the CD version and couldn't make out where one track ended and the next begun. It was only when I listened to the full tracks on the mp3 release that I realised how different the tracks sound on their own.

This is an excellently crafted mix and sells Hospital Records to the high standards we have come to expect. I own all the Hospitality mixes (except for 2010) and this one really stands out for me. I'm a big fan of Hospital.

If you do not own a Hospitality mix then get this one FIRST. Then get the rest and judge them all by this standard.

BUY IT!

FIFA Football 2005 (PS2)
FIFA Football 2005 (PS2)

1.0 out of 5 stars Please steer clear of this game, 17 Oct 2004
I just bought this game, what a waste of money. I thought I'd give it ago, even tho fifa 2004 was no where near as good as PES3 i had a bit of faith in this one and thought what the hell. Wrong decision, fifa games just seem to get worse. Its worse than 2004, at least that one was playable.
The gameplay of fifa 2005 is really poor, the game is not fluid at all, the players movements are so bad, the animations are really crap, i'm so gutted, i feel really ripped off. The marking system is just terrible, it seems impossible to even try and get near your opponent. Also that first touch thingy is crap, u try and use it and your player tries to do some 360 spin or something useless, i feel really let down with the whole game.
OK so its got licences and that, but apart from that its really hard to get into and its SO frustrating to play.
I had intended to get PES4 anyway, as well as this title, but I wish I'd got PES4 first and just not bothered with FIFA. Last year I bought fifa first, liked it, but then sold it, then got PES3 on platinum and thought I'd never look back, but with fifa's advertising and its first touch thingy, I thought I'd give it a go...I learned the hard way folks...
You can't say I didn't give fifa a go, some people just slag it without playing it, but I have played it and its stressed me to bits this weekend, my fingers are hurting from playing it cos its so frustrating and not fluid and exciting like PES.
How can EA who make some great games like Burnout amongst many others, make such a crap game?
I mean, Konami makes PES and they're Japanese, you'd think neither them OR EA would understand footy, but obviously Konami do...
Sorry fifa, you've died and gone i reckon

28 Days Later (2002) [DVD]
28 Days Later (2002) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Cillian Murphy
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars The first good film in a LONG time!, 26 May 2003
This review is from: 28 Days Later (2002) [DVD] (DVD)
This film is supposed to be scary, and where it is, becomes slightly more disturbing rather than typical 'horror chilling'. The opening scenes of the film are to be some of the most famous in movie history, the deserted streets of London in the hours of early morning, when it was shot, show the true picture of a country collapsed into desolation.
This film moved me, it stirred up emotions inside of me that I didn't think I would associate with a typical 'horror' movie. To contemplate the end of civilisation in the UK, is such a scary thought in itself and this film etches that thought into your mind so predominantly that its left with you for days afterwards.
The performances of the cast is nothing short of perfect, they have captured the true picture of people in despair, fighting to survive yet trying to stay positive and happy along their journey to do so. The moments of shock horror are also captured quickly and are hammered into the viewers mind, resulting in a sleepless night or true caution when walking through the dark.
One of the biggest accomplishments of this movie is the way the story is thrown in a totally different direction later on. I was expecting to watch a film about a small group of people, trying to survive against a population of 'rage infected ex-humans'. This I did...but it is up to the viewer to decide which of the 'monsters' falls into this catagory...
All will be explained....just watch this film, one of the greatest I've seen for a LONG time...so great that I want to watch it again and again til I have analysed every minute detail of it...
A masterpiece