Profile for pkj > Reviews

pkj

Lingo: A Language Spotter's Guide to Europe
Lingo: A Language Spotter's Guide to Europe

1.0 out of 5 stars shallow, 18 Feb. 2015
First ever Amazon return. After a really good first sentence, this book seems to be a shallow collection of linguistic anthropological facts. I was hoping for so much more eg tracing of history. The style is light but not as humourous as the author aspires. Note I only read first 10%.

Samsung 3.5mm Jack In Ear Stereo Headset with Volume Control - Black (Frustration Free Packaging)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nexus 5- all good, 11 Nov. 2014
Good value headphones
Work with nexus 5.
Volume/play pause
and mic.
Loud on max setting

Betron DC950 Headphones Earphones, Noise Isolating, Bass Driven, High Definition In Ear Canal, Tangle free, Replaceable Earbuds for or iPhone, iPod, iPad, MP3 Players, Samsung Galaxy, Nokia, HTC, Nexus, BlackBerry etc (Black with Mic and Volume Control)
Offered by Betron Limited ( VAT Registered)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nexus 5- great, 11 Nov. 2014
Work perfectly with my nexus 5
Great sound
Button for pause/play
slider for volume
and mic works for phone calls

One caveat - as some others have commented there's a noise from the cable brushing. I dismissed this when I read those reviews as hi-fi aficionados being picky, but now understand. The tangle free cable is rigid. Taps and brushes on the cable (from walking along normally) are transmitted straight into your ear.It is quite loud. Think about placing one end of a tuning fork in you ear and flicking the other end! OK it's not as loud as that but that's the mechanism. Seems a design flaw a little rubber or clamping would fix.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars These probably aren't bad. They seem slightly better than the £2 versions, 7 July 2014
Looking for a compromise between cost and quality? These probably aren't bad. They seem slightly better than the £2 versions, but are not in the same league as the Apple ones. The remote works fine. I was looking for Apple quality on the cheap. I've now ordered the £25 version and kept these as a backup.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 19 Jan. 2013
I just got an iphone 5 and wanted to have a charging cable for the house, for work PC and a spare to carry about with my macbook. Hopefully the battery life will be good and I won't need all this, but I wanted to be safe.

This seemed cheap enough that I could buy 2 and not worry if it wasn't quite up to scratch. I didn't expect it so sync data, just charge.

Unlike some others, I am struggling to see the difference between the apple cable and this one. OK - the USB symbol is more subtle and elegant shade of grey on the apple cable, but the wire and connectors look and feel the same to me. Length is 5cm (<10%) shorter than apple cable.

In terms of use. I seem to get an occassional error when I first plug in the iPhone. ("This accessory" - my apple charger plug with the Jazooli cable- "is not designed for charging"). But when I pull out the plug and re-apply and there's no problem.

It also appears to allow data sync too. Only done this once, but it worked perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 19 Jan. 2013
Screen protectors are a complete pain.I've had an iphone for years and always find application difficult. Expert shield seems to be the exception. Set aside time for this job - 15 mins. Read all the instructions first. in addition I used a dab of window cleaner to get rid of grease on the iphone. Get everything you need to hand. Take it into the bathroom just after you've had a shower (or waste some hot water until your bathroom is nice and steamy). No I'm not joking. Work out what you need to do. Wash your hands thoroughly. Think about lining it up and practice.

Having done all this I got expert shield on first time, in 2 mins. It really is a great product and well worth the extra money.

I can't comment on the guarantee, but they do seem sincere. Although I'm not clear if it's my lifetime, my phone's or the protector's? And I don't know how long it will last, but it seems well made.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 22, 2013 11:47 AM GMT

Linux Command Line and Shell Scripting Bible
Linux Command Line and Shell Scripting Bible
by Richard Blum

2.0 out of 5 stars more of a dictionary than a bible, 9 Jun. 2012
I've been unix scripting for the last 12 months, self taught and thought I should try to develop a less idiosyncratic and patchy style. Hence the purchase of this book. It's not for me.

It appears to go through all the commands and indeed has large sections on file permissions and disk partitions that seems relevant for a system administrator, but a lot of the time it seems to do little more for a command than you could obtain by typing man command. It's a thick book, but full of white space and copies of screen output, the amount of smart ideas for scripting seem low (I haven't read all the book).

I'm 150 pages in and really haven't learned much. I think I'm just going to buy another book rather than finish this one.