Profile for TheDoc > Reviews

Content by TheDoc

TheDoc "Billious" (Sidcup, KENT United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Panasonic Lithium Ion Camcorder Battery (7.2V, 1250mAh)
Panasonic Lithium Ion Camcorder Battery (7.2V, 1250mAh)
Offered by Picsio

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job but oh the price,, 1 Nov. 2011
Much too expensive but it's a battery and works perfectly. Looses a star because Panasonic are proteering on this product.

Qnap 8TB TS-412 Turbo Nas Built-in Upnp/ Dlna Media Server, Itunes Server
Qnap 8TB TS-412 Turbo Nas Built-in Upnp/ Dlna Media Server, Itunes Server

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 1 Nov. 2011
If you have a network then a NAS enables you to centralise everything. I am a programmer who works from home and now I can switch from one machine to another with zero down time. That is my main reason for purchasing this box of tricks.

In addition my photos were (still are until I have finished this exercise) in a right mess. I am now migrating them to a single location on the QNAP NAS. Magic.

We also run a few applications that were using Oracle or MS SQL Server that I have written to administer things like our record collection, my business accounts and our investments. Because I used single use development versions of Oracle & MS SQL server, these were only available on one machine. I have now migrated them all to MySQL and I am writing a few PHP scripts so my wife can see the reports she wants from a more simple piece of software.

My work for my clients is in Oracle or MS SQL Server so I still have to run copies of the single-user development servers on both machines. But ironically the data for these applications, as far as I am concerned, is unimportant on my development PCs. Absolutely critical for my customers, who take measures to protect it. but not for me. If I lost the data on both machines they simply send me the lastest download of live data and I run a program to rubbish names and addresses just in case my PCs are stolen.

I will also be loading my collections of CDs (and LPs in the future) onto some sort of music server.

Now I know that I could achieve the above without a NAS but by the use of utilities like Synctoy, but that requires much more day-to-day discipline and is just not as convenient.

The QNAP 412 with 4 disks of 2TB is extremely good value and so much is preloaded and ready to go if you want to enable it.

Overall I am really pleased with this purchase and have no hesitation in awarding it 5 stars.

Jethro: Big Comedy Feast [DVD]
Jethro: Big Comedy Feast [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Rude and funny, 3 Oct. 2011
My title says it all, Jethro is not really blue just a bit (quite a bit) naughy.

Go on buy the video and cry along with me.

Panasonic TM900 Full HD 1920x1080p (50p) 3D Ready Camcorder - Black (3MOS Sensor, 32GB Inbuilt Flash, SD Card Recording, Leica Dicomar Lens and Manual Control Ring)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic piece of kit, 3 Oct. 2011
Like many other reviewers I must complement the quality of output produced by this camera, it is superb. Great colours and very sharp.

As a still camera it is also very good. This camera was bought for my wife who needed to get a piece of kit that would do both things very well. This camera does.

We have just come back from a holiday in a very sunny place and my wife was often using the view finder rather than the screen. I can understand this because I have a Canon 50D still camera and always use the view finder, the screen only for menus etc. We both found that these screens which look great in lowish light are rubbish in very bright light, you just cannot see them. I mention this because most reviews of this camera say that the view finder is a 'nice to have', imho it is an absolute must to have.

It gave me one laugh because my wife had not adjusted the eye-piece and so it was wildly out of focus for her eyesight (and mine as it happened) and was complaining about the quality. We did laugh (well I did) when she realised her mistake.

Remember though it is an electronic view finder, unlike ones on SLRs, like my Canon. But it is really very good and in sunny conditions your only option.

Really pleased with this purchase, now my wife is joining in and really enjoying my photography hobby.

Charger, Universal Travel Unipal,
Charger, Universal Travel Unipal,
Offered by Thinkprice

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit., 29 Aug. 2011
This is a brilliant piece of kit and even if it was much more expensive it would still be cracking value.

I have successfully charged the following with this device:

Canon 50D batteries

Panasonic 900 Camcorder batteries

AA batteries (it will also do AAA but I haven't used it for that)

My Kindle via a USB socket. When you charge a Kindle it does not look like it is charging but if you hit the menu button the battery icon has the flash across it indicating charging and it does actually charge the device fine.

And you can charge from the mains or your car cigar lighter.

For the price what more could you want? Yes it is bit fiddly positioning batteries like those in my Canon 50D but not that bad.

5 stars without any hesitation.

On The Shore
On The Shore

5.0 out of 5 stars Luvly Jubbly, 17 Jun. 2011
This review is from: On The Shore (Audio CD)
If you are the sort of person who thought that the 70s were great but were spoilt by punk, disco and Slade and you don't think there is anything wrong with a 30 minute guitar solo, then this might just be for you.

My tastes include the likes of Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead, Spirit, Quicksilver, Jefferson Airplane, The Doors, Fairport Convention and other similar laid back psychedelic bands.

If your tastes overlap with mine and you have never heard of this band then buy this CD. Simple as that.

They are most like Fairport Convention in the Sandy Denny days and if that don't set your heart racing then nothing will.

Do yourself a favour just snap it up.

Live In London
Live In London
Offered by MediaMerchants

5.0 out of 5 stars A Legend Live, 4 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Live In London (Audio CD)
I am a big lover of live albums. They really tell you how good an artist/band are and this is no exception.

This is a brilliant live performance. The Great man himself, wonderful singers and instrumentalists.

It makes your toes curl listening to it. JUST BUY IT.

ps Great recording too, lovely and warm but clean.

6 Stars!

Apple iPad Tablet 1st Generation (WiFi, 16 GB)
Apple iPad Tablet 1st Generation (WiFi, 16 GB)

1.0 out of 5 stars A Gimmick, 3 Jan. 2011
I was lent one by one of my customers, so this is not an owners review.

There are so many things wrong with this device that it is difficult to know where to start. But let's ask who would find it useful and that is someone who browses the web all day and is happy with a browser that is not quite what they are used to. If you fit that then don't bother to read the rest of this.

The range of apps is large but not very useful. I am a software developer and a keen amateur photographer and there is nothing of any use to me in the app library. Mind you I should add that all of my customers are PC users.

The screen is beautiful but it needs a stylus for someone with hands as big as mine, I was continually hitting the wrong option - in web pages especially.

The real killer for me though is that it is too heavy to use in a "sat on a sofa" position, it just makes your hands and wrists ache after a while.

I have to say that it is beautifully made, it feels like it is chiseled from a piece of rock and maybe that is why it weighs so much.

I simply struggle to see why you should pay so much money for a device with no "Killer" app yet. I wanted to try it out as a book reader, it would seem on paper to hold so many aces over the Kindle or Sony book readers. But the screen causes too much eye fatigue for me and one again it is too heavy to read in bed or in the smallest room.

Just one star from me which is a crying shame for something so well constructed. It is just the wrong product at the wrong time.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 24, 2011 10:50 PM GMT

The Space Vampires
The Space Vampires
by Colin Wilson

3.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish Film made from this book, 28 Dec. 2010
This review is from: The Space Vampires (Paperback)
I have yet to read this book but I have a copy and I will give it a chance soon. Will come back then.

They made a film of this book and it was dire, absolutely dreadful. Apart from on thing and that was the vampire who when we first see her is in the nude and absolutely georgous. But that is the only good thing about this film.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 13, 2011 4:10 PM BST

Sanyo Eneloop AA 4 Pack Batteries 1900mAh
Sanyo Eneloop AA 4 Pack Batteries 1900mAh
Offered by AVIDES u.k.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breakthrough product, 6 Oct. 2010
I have now been using Sanyo Eneloop batteries for about 1 year and I have to say that they do what they promise. That is, unlike ordinary rechargeables their leakage current is very lower. So you can charge them and leave them in devices for a long period of time and they will still be charged when you use the device again. In this respect they function much like alkaline batteries. Remarkable.

The only advantage that alkalines have is that they are 1.5v, whereas these are 1.2v like other NiMh batteries. Now in most cases this won't be noticeable but there are some circumstances where it is still an issue. I have, for example, a mouse that uses two AAA batteries but it wil not work with any rechargeable batteries and I have to buy alakalines - which is a bind, but there you go. My advice would be to transfer over to Enneloops and check that any device you buy is OK on rechargeable batteries.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7