Profile for TheDoc > Reviews

Content by TheDoc

TheDoc "Billious" (Sidcup, KENT United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Bose ® SoundDock ® Portable and SoundLink ® Car Charger
Bose ® SoundDock ® Portable and SoundLink ® Car Charger

5.0 out of 5 stars Completes the picture, 18 Jan 2013
The SoundDock is a great piece of kit. It is a mobile piece of kit but only has a mains charger when you purchase it, which is not the ideal situation. What you need is a car charger.

I browsed around the Amazon site and there were 1 or 2 car charges cheaper than this Bose unit, but it was the fact that this is a Bose unit that made me purchase it. Better to be safe than sorry for a few quid.

It works perfectly and really now makes the SoundDock a perfect mobile speaker system. We use it in our campervan to supply good music sound and to replace the awful sound that emanates from our Avtek TV.

29/5/13 Update. You can use the sounddock with the mains charger plugged in and charging it while you listen to music. NOT SO with this 12v charger, it makes the unit too noisy to listen to. Obviously the electronics only provide a noisy charging voltage, probably because it only produces a pseudo sine wave. So charge it before you plan to use it for listening to.

Not too much of an issue because we have found you can easily get 3+ hours of listening on a single charge of the SoundDock.

APC BE550G-UK 330 Watts /550 VA,Input 230V /Output 230V, Interface Port USB Power-Saving Back-UPS

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, 18 Jan 2013
Received this item yesterday and left it on charge overnight.

Before I go on let me explain my setup as it will be of interest to some people. The heart of my system is a QNAP412 NAS, which is a brilliant piece of kit and the main reason I purchased this UPS was to protect this item. I plugged my NAS and the peripherals (hub etc) into the UPS, plugging the NAS into the master socket. You then have to hold in a button so that it can reset the power level to operate the master socket. I assume that when the NAS powers itself down tonight (programmed by the NAS admin program) it will now power down the attached peripherals.

Plug the USB socket into your NAS and UPS.

Go into the NAS admin program and select External Device --> UPS Settings. Check 'Enable UPS Support' and you should then see that it detects an APC UPS, this may take a little while. Also now you should be able to support 'Enable Network Support' and you can the IP addresses of computers on your network to inform if a power outage occurs. As I said before it may take a while before you can do the above, you may even have to power the NAS down and up again. You should not have to identify the UPS you are using it will auto-detect.

Sorry to be so indistinct here because what was on the screen here did change. I cheated last night and quickly booted up the NAS before I had fully charged up the unit. AT that time the QNAP admin program asked me what type of protection I wanted, I selected SNMP, entered the ip of the NAS it was connected to and then it recognised the unit and said it was an APC unit. When I logged in this morning the screen had changed to how I described above - not sure why. But I am sure you will be easily able to sort this out.

A number of people remark that the battery connection is difficult to engage I never found this to be the case.

So in conclusion this is a UPS device on the QNAP compatible list and should, therefore be recognised and work with the QNAP412 and similar and indeed it does. btw I don't think it is on the list for the QNAP259 and similar devices - please check the compatibility lists on the QNAP website.

I will update this post in future weeks of my progress with this device.

The Debussy Collection
The Debussy Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch, 17 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Debussy Collection (Audio CD)
This is a simply amazing collection, beautiful compositions and beautifully played - what more could you ask for. Factor in the low price for the set and it becomes a no-brainer whether or not you should purchase it.
If you are browsing around this product and these reviews then I assume you must have at least some interest in the music of this great man. That being the case then you will be over the moon with this collection.

It is a very varied collection: solo harp, solo piano, orchestral, opera, vocal and it is totally mesmerising to listen to. You could easily lose yourself in this collection.

This must be the best musical bargain ever!

Original Album Classics
Original Album Classics

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lads Did Well, 13 Nov 2012
This review is from: Original Album Classics (Audio CD)
Hot Tuna were, of course, a spin off from Jefferson Airplane (JA) and IMHO were the musical heart of JA. The Airplane got into all this super-stardom thing and all that went along with it but these guys just wanted to play rock and roll and that is exactly what they did.

Now before you pen nasty replies to this post, please don't get me wrong - I LOVE THE AIRPLANE. But these guys were musical purists and their stuff still stands up really well today, better than JA I think.

If you like JA (or any music from that era and location) and are not familiar with Hot Tuna then give this box set a go - you won't be disappointed.

Glass: Satyagraha [Complete]
Glass: Satyagraha [Complete]
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Mystified, 12 Nov 2012
I have a version of this piece that I bought many years ago. It has a different cover to the one shown but I assume it is the same recording.

Many of the comments in the reviews here mystify me. One reviewer states that the recording is so poor it is very near unplayable and many others criticize the recording quality.
Well I have a very good hi-fi setup and I totally disagree with these views. Over the years I have 'voiced' my system towards opera and classical music in general. That is a nerdy way of saying that when purchasing a new piece of kit then much of my listening tests are conducted using opera as the source. In fact if it can reproduce opera well then in my experience it will perform well for most other musical forms - rap aside, which is fine because I never listen to rap.

I wonder, therefore, if this version of this opera has been remixed because I think the recording is OK.

The opera itself, though, is brilliant. It has become, over the years one of my favorite operas, which is no mean feat when you consider how many geniuses have produced great operas: Wagner, Puccini, Mozart etc. I sit and listen to this, loud and in a darkened room and it transports me far away - it's like being at University again!!!!

If you don't know this piece then give it a try and do persevere if you don't immediately 'get off' on it

ps Another reviewer has said that you will be disappointed with Act 2 after listening to Act 1. This I find difficult to understand. If you like Act 1 then you will like Act 2. Some strange comments about this wonderful work.

Chopin
Chopin

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Sublime, 25 Oct 2012
This review is from: Chopin (Audio CD)
This collection has already been reviewed and I would just like to add that I think this collection is superb and an absolute bargain.

You would need a very good reason for not buying this right now!!!!

LUPO Anti-Static Wrist Strap Grounding Wrist Strap/Band - Prevents Build up of Static Electricity

5.0 out of 5 stars Does a good job., 23 Oct 2012
Used this on my last PC build and had no problems with static discharge. Mind you I was also grounding my hands to a metal surface as well! Old habits die hard or is it belt and braces?

The Original Albums Plus Bonus Tracks
The Original Albums Plus Bonus Tracks

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 5 Oct 2012
This has to be the greatest value in music on this or any other planet, although the thooHoubs of Arcturus V are supposed to be pretty good!

This is not a best of, it's three original albums plus a bunch of bonus tracks of about an album's length. When I say album I am talking vinyl, so there are 2 CDs in this package. I much prefer this sort of format to 'Best Of' type compilations. Don't mistake me though, this package certainly contains his very best.

Jim Croce was very much an ordinary (but musically brilliant) guy who died in 1973 at the age of 30 in an aircraft crash. The world lost a truly great artist on that sad day. This collection allows you to hear how great a genius this guy was.

Jim Croce struggled to make it in the music business for a number of years and at the time of his untimely death was just emerging as a super-star and that makes the whole story that much more poignant. That and the fact his songwriting was absolutely unique. He wrote ballads that would bring tears to your eyes and quirky little pop songs that would make you grin all over. One of my favourite pop-lines is in 'Bad, bad Leroy Brown', a song recorded by Sinatra (no less) and that little cracker is "meaner than a Junk-Yard dog". If you have ever bought parts for a car in a junk-yard (breakers-yard here in the UK) then you know how mean a 'junk-yard dog' is.

I could go on all day and discuss some of these songs: 'Operator', 'Time in a Bottle', etc but I have a much better idea. Go and pay the measly few sheckels they are asking for these masterpieces, get settled in front of a warm hi-fi and let it wash over you. You won't be sorry.

The Snow Goose
The Snow Goose

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my top ten albums, 26 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Snow Goose (Audio CD)
Brilliant album which always reminds me of the superb play of the same name starring the brilliant Richard Harris. I have it on vinyl but I might well snap up the deluxe version.

What We Did On Our Holidays
What We Did On Our Holidays

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest albums ever!, 26 Sep 2012
I can only echo the praise heaped on this album by previous reviewers - it is an absolute gem.

I bought it on vinyl just after it's release as an impulse buy and I was mesmorized when I first played it, it has an ethereal quiality at times and Sandy Denny's singing is breathtaking. I still feel exactly the same way today about this masterpiece as I did all those years ago. It still sends shivers up my spine.

ps I went to Essex Uni in 1970, which is where the blackboard was created for the album cover and saw Fairport during my years there.

Very much miss Sandy Denny - God Bless Her.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7