Profile for A. Osborne > Reviews

A. Osborne (UK)

Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless+
Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless+

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 27 April 2013
I purchased this item to extend the Wi-fi signal in my house which has internal brick walls. My modem/router is at one end of my house and the family wanted to use Wi-fi-enabled devices at the other side of the house. I had already bought and use Devolo dLAN 500 homeplugs to connect my children's PCs to my home network. They have been an excellent purchase and produce excellent results to support our fibre optic broadband. So the decision to buy the above item was relatively easy. Now that it is installed - which was a simple process - I am very pleased with its performance and ease of integration within my home network. The dLAN cockpit is a useful application to monitor and regulate the security of my home network (this comes on a CD-ROM when purchasing a homeplug). The cockpit also provides access to the wireless homeplug's own settings, which includes the ability to limit access by MAC address. In summary, an excellent product that I would not hesitate to recommend.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and Effective Mouse, 25 Dec. 2011
Having suffered with carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) for over 12 years in both hands, I finally resorted to having open release surgery following the recommendation of my consultant. Following surgery, I was advised by my occupational therapist that I needed to review my ergonomics when using a mouse and keyboard. As a heavy user of a PC at work (I am not an IT professional, but use a PC a great deal in my job), it was recommended that I consider a new input device instead of the traditional horizontal mouse. Initially, it was suggested that I consider using a vertical mouse, such as the Evoluent. However, I decided to investigate alternatives before making a final decision. As part of this process I tried a Bamboo touch tablet by Wacom and the Logitech M570 trackball mouse, which were both very good. Not being a heavy graphics software user, and also being so used to using a mouse, I found the transition to a pen and tablet a little awkward. I also found the trackball caused me to develop a sore thumb. I then decided to investigate the Evoluent mouse and read the many reviews online. I also watched several YouTube review videos. Initially, I was put off by the high cost when compared to other 'traditional' mice. Finally, I took the plunge and ordered the Evoluent mouse from Amazon. I am so pleased I did. The mouse does exactly what it is meant to do - place your hand in the neutral vertical position. As I still have a fresh scar from surgery and am still very sore and tender, I have found the Evoluent mouse to be excellent and helpful when relieving the pressure on my carpal tunnel and the median nerve. The mouse is constructed of materials similar to a good quality mouse - but doubt it will last forever (nothing does!). I have also found the mouse simple to configure with the driver downloaded from the manufacturer's website. It installed very easily on my Windows 7 x64 PC. My only slight issue is the bright Evoluent light and the green tracking sensitivity lights - but let's face it, you don't look at your mouse when using your PC. If you have TCS or RSI, don't hesitate - buy one! I wish I had done so well before my surgery. Another tip, visit the Evoluent website before ordering to ensure you buy the correct size. The website includes a downloadable hand template that you can print out for the large mouse. This will enable you to confirm the correst size of mouse to buy. My wife finds the large Evoluent mouse too big for her hand, but it is just perfect for me. If you have multiple accounts on your PC, you may need to consider using two input devices to suit the hand sizes of all users. Finally, like all specialist equipment, it needs to be reduced in price.

The Rough Guide to the Italian Lakes
The Rough Guide to the Italian Lakes
by Lucy Ratcliffe

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 27 Aug. 2010
We bought this book for a holiday to Lake Garda. Although the book covers most of the main Italian Lakes, it also includes a useful section about Lake Garda. We looked at other books in shops and felt this was the best. We have purchased Rough Guides before and found them to be a great help. Would recommend this book.