Profile for gadgetguy > Reviews

gadgetguy

Kitchen Craft Professional Potato Masher
Kitchen Craft Professional Potato Masher

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 27 Jan. 2014
Having read the good reviews I had really high hopes for this masher but was very disappointed. The cutting action sounded excellent in theory but I was ending up with lumpier mash than ever - as if it contained lots of little cut bits of potato which of course it did.
if you use it for too long it goes all gluey.
There is a disclaimer on the box to say that lumpy mash is usually the result of undercooked potatoes but if I'd have cooked my Maris Pipers any longer they would have dissolved.
Have come to conclusion that you need an element of "squashing" to get good mash so I've rescued my old masher from the charity bag.
Worth a try though, especially as the price was quite low when I bought it.

WMF Profi Plus Garlic Press
WMF Profi Plus Garlic Press

5.0 out of 5 stars Good bit of kitchen kit, 13 Jan. 2012
I'd given up on ever finding a decent garlic press. The ones I've used have either bent, rusted, broken far too easily or been fiddly to clean/dry. I don't think I'm going to have any such problems with this press.
It seems a bit pricey but it is extremely solid and very well designed. It's not so much been made as "engineered". It crushes large cloves (or even several cloves at a time) effortlessly and with none of the messy spillage that you often get with other presses.
You can partially unfold it to scoop off the clove remnants ready for the next one, or completely unfold it for more thorough cleaning.
Because the steel "grid" is so thin the bits just seem to wash off easily under a running tap. After drying it all folds back into itself.
I just love it. Would recommend to anyone.