Profile for Moby > Reviews

Content by Moby

Moby (Staffordshire, UK)

Liberation: The perfect holistic antidote to stress, depression and other unhealthy states of mind
by The Barefoot Doctor

1.0 out of 5 stars Self development or self indulgence, 13 Sept. 2009
I bought this book in a charity shop and quickly realised how lucky I was not to have paid full price for it in Waterstones or similar. I had heard of the Barefoot Doctor before through friends who are of a similar spiritual/ self development ilk as myself but nothing about whether he is good or bad. Anticipation had built up in me when I was going home as to the content of the publication as I do like to get a dose of positive vibes.

When I did get home I read in the index that there was a 36 page "Pre-amble Text Section" with such sub sections as "Liberation from not knowing a clue why Barefoot Doctor wrote this book" and "Liberation from Pure Prose". I am new to this writer and can't comment on other books but he does tend to revert back to himself on a frequent and painfully dull level at times (I later added my own chapter called "Liberation from losing the will to live").

I am very interested in all things psychological and spiritual and practice them daily in my job and personal life. I have heard many speakers and read many books on this topic before so I didn't need to have a life changing event occur but if I did I would have been sorely disappointed. Currently I have been stuck on Chapter 17 for a number of weeks while I read another book. I found the book repeatedly flicking back to the writer and humour which just became irratating and not particularly funny. I note with irony is called "Liberation from Cynicism". Oh dear !