Profile for Beardfreak > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Mystic Heights
Mystic Heights

5.0 out of 5 stars Yep - excellent contemporary UK roots !, 9 Feb 2008
This review is from: Mystic Heights (Audio CD)
I really like this release. It has a unique flavour unto itself and I don't think there is a bad track on the album. Roots, conscious, UK stylee !

Neville Brown who wrote and performed the songs on the album has a vocal style similar to the legendary Burning Spear. I believe he has played with him in the past, so maybe there is more than a little influence? Which is no bad thing of course.

The rhythms are unique and have a complexity of form, which means that the more you listen, the more detail emerges, and the more the album grows.

Tracks:

9. Mystic Heights
10. 1/2 Oz Pack
11. Sufferer
12. What A Place

Personally I rate 1,2,8 & 6 above the rest, but that's me !

Kortonic Dub [VINYL]
Kortonic Dub [VINYL]

3.0 out of 5 stars Original vinyl cut of AD classics., 8 Feb 2008
This review is from: Kortonic Dub [VINYL] (Vinyl)
This is ok. But by Alien Dread's current output standards, it seems a little dated now (mostly completed during 2000) There are a few decent tracks on there and it remains as a UK underground DUB classic in it's own right, but the production isn't quite there when we compare it to the subsequent releases. One for the collector though. Worth it for the original cut of Kortonic Dub ! Nice 10" vinyl.

Listing:

Nineveh

Full Of Dread
Full Of Dread

4.0 out of 5 stars Crackin' release from UK DUB crew !, 8 Feb 2008
This review is from: Full Of Dread (Audio CD)
Alien Dread are a UK based DUB crew, active since the late 1980s on the Reggae scene. Headed by Andrew Passey and backed by Top Beat, Bob & Richard Ormrod, Dub Soldier, Soul Preacher and others. Passey's vision is to keep the underground UK DUB scene alive and kickin' with a fresh and contemporary take on the 1970s classic roots releases. This CD compilation is a remix of earlier works, originally cut to vinyl. These rhythms have been reworked and remastered at Phat Dubz Studio, Devon, in the UK.

Full CD listing:

13.Things Dub

Parables
Parables

4.0 out of 5 stars Keeps on growing !, 15 Jan 2008
This review is from: Parables (Audio CD)
There's nothing wrong with this album. It has decent production, nice tunes and has it's heart in the right place. I love the track "One, Two, Order" and of course "She's Royal" ... not a hard album to listen to, not exactly challenging, but as I said, nice enough. The more you listen, the more you'll like it. It's a "grower" ...

Jurassic Shift
Jurassic Shift
Offered by actionrecords

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind blowing !, 24 Mar 2004
This review is from: Jurassic Shift (Audio CD)
Totally cosmic release. I've had this for a few years now and I can't believe that there are no comments making note of the sheer quality of this release by Ozrics.
It is without a doubt one of their top albums to my mind and easily rests at the peak of my mountain of CDs.
The blend of tracks is eclectic; sending the mind reeling through the rain forests and desert regions of this beautiful earth and then dropping the listener into deep space to float through constellation after constellation.
The visual impact is the deeper meaning for me. Powerful musical construction, leading to profound inner vision.
I am invigorated and sedated in equal measure.
You have to try this music for yourselves. If you are a discerning prog-rock head, I know you will fall in love with Ozrics work.
Best track for me - Stretchy - without a doubt! The lead break towards the end is orgasmic in it's reach; grabbing my heart and prompting me to replay the track again and again and again.
More than anything, this album helps me to believe that there is a God out there. Such beauty can only eminate from a higher source.

The Dark Gods
The Dark Gods
by Anthony Roberts

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb and insightful rare book !, 11 Feb 2004
This review is from: The Dark Gods (Paperback)
A good friend and researcher into all matters occult recommended this particular book as a gateway to further studies.
Indeed, in every way possible this book fulfilled my desire to probe the outer reaches of the physical universe and tare the fabric of accepted objective reality.
The book focuses primarily upon the contemporary UFO phenomenon and then moves into other areas of esoteric study; attempting to form a bond between the two areas. Comparing examples from folk lore and mythology through the ages, with modern UFO manifestation, the book forges links.
Very good read. Well researched and helps to build faith in a malevolent presence orbiting our society.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4