Profile for Eleni > Reviews

Muhle R89 Closed Comb Safety Razor
Muhle R89 Closed Comb Safety Razor
Offered by The Piccadilly Shaving Company

5.0 out of 5 stars not just for men!, 1 Sept. 2015
There's plenty of guys making reviews about this razor so thought I'd make one for the ladies! I spent years using female razors and was always disappointed.. And out of pocket for something that was substandard. I took the plunge and bought one of these for myself after a female friend of mine suggested if, and am so glad I did.

I won't lie.. If you rush your bathroom may look like a scene from Sweeney Todd, but after a few nicks I've now got the hang of it. It produces such a close shave and actually lasts a lot longer than the conventional razors. Coupled with your normal shaving gel, this is the best shave ever.

I went for the cheaper blade options (50 for a tender) and haven't had any issues.

Ladies - don't fall for the marketing crap with female razors. Get yourself one of these!

Ready Player One
Ready Player One
by Ernest Cline

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not a gamer or an 80s expert, but I loved this book!, 1 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Ready Player One (Paperback)
I went into this a bit dubious as it's not my normal cup of tea - I'm not a gamer and my 80s trivia (apart from the cult classics that EVERYONE knows about) can be described as basic, at best. But I thoroughly enjoyed this read - it's fun, it's different and I couldn't put it down... I literally wolfed it up over a weekend, and found myself wanting more.

The story centers around (unsurprisingly) the grey yet likeable Wade.. A teenager in 2044 in a world where virtual reality is the new norm. Believable in its concept, wade joins other gamers in the quest to find three keys to unlock the creators wealth and win a majority stake in his company, before the fascist "sixers" win the majority stake and turn the utopian OASIS world into a capitalist mess.

The above is NOT the best description, but I don't want to give too much of the plot away. Believe me when I say that this was a surprising hit for me, and I'm very much looking forward to the movie...

Carol
Carol
by Patricia Highsmith

5.0 out of 5 stars Why didn't I find this book earlier??, 24 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Carol (Paperback)
Beautifully and masterfully written - the type of book I've been looking for. I read it in 2 days and was really happy I was recommended it.
The story focuses on the innocent Therese who is captivated by the older and sophisticated Carol, and you join her on her journey of self discovery as she blossoms throughout the novel. This isn't just a book with a lesbian plot line; it's much more than that. It's timeless and so effective at pulling at your heartstrings.. You forget that it's set in 1950s New York.. It could have easily been set in the modern day.
I can't recommend it enough.

The Sunrise
The Sunrise
by Victoria Hislop

4.0 out of 5 stars A lesson in human loss and pain from 1974, 18 July 2015
This review is from: The Sunrise (Paperback)
Probably more heartbreaking for me as I'm Cypriot and have visited the "no mans land" of the ghost city. It was interesting to read about events I could only ever imagine, having been born after 1974. It is quite balanced and written from a perspective that is non-political, which I enjoyed. It's not about who is to blame for the events of 1974, but rather the shared pain of both Greek and Turkish Cypriot families featured in the book. It's not a history lesson in the traditional sense, but one of the first books I've read about the conflict that brings together the human loss and pain.

The Paying Guests
The Paying Guests
by Sarah Waters

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite entertaining and difficult to put down, 18 July 2015
This review is from: The Paying Guests (Paperback)
There's no doubt about it - Waters is a very talented writer with a skill at drawing you in with her descriptions. It's easy to become engrossed and you are surprised at how quickly and easily you lap up the pages.. And considering it's a lengthy 600 pages, that's quite a mean feat! Thoroughly enjoyable and very easy to read, with an ample plot and full characters. Not my favourite book of the year, but certainly up there and highly recommended.

Station Eleven
Station Eleven
by Emily St. John Mandel

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I had hoped, 11 July 2015
This review is from: Station Eleven (Paperback)
Good start, then I began to detach. There are a few layers to this book but I don't think it quite gels together the way it was perhaps intended. I kept reading just to finish and found that I wasn't quite as involved or attached with any particular character, and the constant flashbacks were rather an annoyance. Not terrible, but not as great as some of the reviews would suggest.

AnySharp Global World's Best Knife Sharpener (Classic)
AnySharp Global World's Best Knife Sharpener (Classic)

5.0 out of 5 stars Had trouble finding a good sharpener and this really does the trick, 4 July 2015
Had trouble finding a good sharpener and this really does the trick. Blunt knives turn into professional chefs knives by the time you're done.

HG Mould Spray
HG Mould Spray

5.0 out of 5 stars I never thought I'd write a review about mould spray, 4 July 2015
This review is from: HG Mould Spray (DIY & Tools)
.. But here I am writing a review. About mould spray. This product should be renamed Jesus because it performed a bloody miracle in my bathroom. Walls and ceiling were covered in persistent black mould - but 20 minutes of this stuff and I was amazed. I previously scrubbed, cleaned, sweated - but to no avail. The culprit thought it was the Terminator and just keep coming back. Stop reading reviews and buy this thing. It works. Brilliantly. End of!

Anchor Hocking Glassware ARGYLE 4 Pack - 126oz / 473 ml Tea Glass Tumblers Glass Glasses Cups Whiskey Wine Hi ball Cups

5.0 out of 5 stars A good choice, 4 July 2015
Great glasses - better quality thank IKEA and thicker.

Zyliss Smart Cafe One Cup Coffee Cafetiere Cup Hot Mug Graphite/Black
Zyliss Smart Cafe One Cup Coffee Cafetiere Cup Hot Mug Graphite/Black
Offered by home_essentials

4.0 out of 5 stars My coffee saviour at work, 4 July 2015
I drink a lot of coffee and this is my saviour at work - never again will I have to endure the crap they try to pass as coffee! Filter sometimes lets through a few grains through the sides, but overall it's brilliant.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3