Profile for Adam > Reviews

Content by Adam

Adam

6x Mens Hard Wearing Wool Blend Work Socks - Excellent Quality - Warmth & Comfort Guaranteed

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for hard work in safety shoes, 24 Feb. 2015
Very thick, cozy and unlike other socks they don't leave fluff all over the carpet at home. They also seem very durable - I've been using them for work which involves wearing steel toe shoes and hard work, and they have lasted well so far.

Game of Thrones - Season 3 [Blu-ray] [2014] [Region Free]
Game of Thrones - Season 3 [Blu-ray] [2014] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Peter Dinklage

5.0 out of 5 stars What's the difference between Cersei Lannister and a direwolf? Lipstick., 11 Jun. 2014
Cancel your social life, quit your job and never answer the phone again. It's worth it - this is television at it's finest. And that's a bold claim coming from someone who doesn't own a television.

If you've never watched or read Game Of Thrones before, I can tell you that it starts off intriguing, gets good, gets very good, turns shocking, gets more shocking and from then on every episode becomes, "wasn't I supposed to pick the kids up from school?" By the way, if you have kids, do not let them watch Game Of Thrones because it has prostitution, nudity, violence, gore, regicide, decapitation, poisoning, skull-crushing, rape, incest, murder, attempted child-murder, unborn baby stabbing, throat-slitting, swearing, flaying, torture, castration... makes for one hell of a drinking game.

On Season 3 in particular - well, the cast of characters is now vast it's a credit to all the actors and writers involved that there isn't a single dull one, although inevitably some are better than others. The production of the show is near-flawless: whether it's Kings Landing or the cities of Slavers Bay, no expense is spared on the locations, costumes, cinematography, props and visual effects required to bring the world of Westeros to life. In one sense the show is formulaic, with most scenes given over to two characters having a chat at any given time, and yet this is where the characters and the chemistry between them come to life. What's magical is that the most opposite characters you can think of go on to have the strongest relationships - Arya Stark and Sandor 'The Hound' Clegane are a fine example.

By investing so heavily in the characters and relationships of the show, and by having them all expend so much energy in scheming, politicking and earning millions of Tesco Clubcard points in sheer duplicity, the creators of the show always ensure that the aforementioned scheming and plotting often results in a spectacular and unexpected disaster that invariably results in the death and destruction of said characters. I believe this is what gives the show it's addictive quality. There is one episode in particular on this boxset that demonstrates the full effect of this formula, and it's so notorious that there are videos all over YouTube made by friends of first-time watchers simply filming their reactions, which are just astounding to watch.

So, just buy it. It's worth it.

SanDisk SDSSDHP-128G-G25 Ultra PLUS SSD Notebook Sata III 2.5 Inch Internal SSD, up to 530 MB/s Read - 128 GB

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll never go back to a HDD!, 10 Mar. 2014
I've been using desktop and laptop computers for over 16 years, but this is my first SSD. This obviously does not make me an expert on SSDs, although I read computer publications every day and SanDisk are very highly regarded.

To get the most out of this disk, I decided to do a clean install of Windows 8.1, which I've been running on a HDD since it came out. The difference in speed and loading times feels magical! The Windows boot screen passes by in mere seconds before the login screen, and typing my password in takes longer than loading programs. Common Windows tasks and programs are very fast, and even internet browsing feels slicker because of the speed at which cached web pages are loaded, not to mention that the internet browser itself is ready to go almost the instant you open it.

In terms of heavier programs and games, there are big speed increases in apps like word processors, spreadsheet, image and video editors but strangely not in the loading times of games so far - both FIFA 14 and Grand Theft Auto 4 took about the same time to load and run saved games as on a HDD.

Space-wise, with the installation of Windows 8.1 and the programs mentioned above I've used 53.3GB so far. Even though this means I could have bought the 64GB version, I have no regrets about going with 128GB for the ability to install more programs and games in the future, not to mention giving Windows plenty of room for it's system cache. I should make clear that I still use my old hard disk to store music, video and images and there is no way all of these would fit on the SSD - the 53.3GB I've used is made up of Windows 8.1, apps and a handful of games only.

BenQ GL2750HM 27-inch Widescreen LED Monitor (1920 x 1080, 2 ms, 1200:1, HDMI)
BenQ GL2750HM 27-inch Widescreen LED Monitor (1920 x 1080, 2 ms, 1200:1, HDMI)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent monitor and great value, especially when compared side-by-side with others., 6 Aug. 2012
I am writing this review on this monitor as I'm typing. It's simply large, bright (in a good way, not a blinding way!), colourful and excellent.

First the size: my previous monitor was a 21-inch so when I started using this one it felt ENORMOUS. It still feels large now even though I am used to it - in fact it's a shame that I've gotten used to it and lost that 'wow' factor! I think a few people would criticize the monitor for lacking a 2560x1600 resolution, but 1920x1080 is still Full HD to me and beyond anything I've ever used before.

Secondly, I also got the chance to compare this monitor side-by-side to my old Samsung 21-inch LCD monitor, which I used to think was pretty good. It's here that the quality of the monitor really shows and it's not just the size: it's also much sharper and the contrast is excellent. The biggest difference is in the colours: the background white on this monitor looks perfectly white like a clean t-shirt, whereas on my old one it looks yellowish and dull by comparison.

Gaming and movies also run without any problems and no noticeable lagging or tearing. My only slight issue with the monitor is it's controls, which are spread vertically along the bottom-right edge of the monitor and aren't very intuitive when it comes to changing settings.