Profile for O. Mohatarem > Reviews

Content by O. Mohatarem

O. Mohatarem (London, UK)

Panasonic Lumix G 20mm/F1.7 Pancake Lens
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm/F1.7 Pancake Lens

4.0 out of 5 stars Pricey but a great little lens, 25 May 2010
Bought this for my wife's Olympus E-PL1. Build is plastic but very solid. Focus speed is pretty quick but image quality is where it's a winner. Lovely sharp lens. I know another review was complaining about distortions being high for a prime lens but I haven't found it to be a problem when it comes to people photos. All in all a very happy customer and glad I picked this over the Olympus 17mm 2.8.

Olympus E-PL1 Compact System Camera - White (14-42mm Silver Lens Kit)
Olympus E-PL1 Compact System Camera - White (14-42mm Silver Lens Kit)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent backup for an SLR, 25 May 2010
I bought this for my wife to replace her Canon Powershot S50 and as a backup for my DSLR (for when I don't feel like lugging around a heavy kit). Overall I have been impressed with the camera especially the picture quality. JPEGS are excellent (sharp as well as vibrant) and reduce the need to shoot RAW. The controls are OK - I tend to shoot manual exposure a lot and just about manage with it although some dials/wheels would be useful (like the E-P1/2). Focus speed is acceptable for me. Basically, anyone coming from compact cameras will be perfectly happy but anyone expecting mid-range SLR focus speed is going to be disappointed. My main advice to Olympus would be to make the camera even smaller (like the Sony NEX-3/5)!!

Does it replace my D700? Absolutely not but it is a perfectly acceptable replacement for when I don't want to carry the bulk of the D700.

Logitech Harmony 555 Universal Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 555 Universal Remote Control

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent universal remote - once you've set it up correctly, 13 May 2009
First things first - this isn't a product you'll be using within minutes of opening the packaging. It will take a at least an hour to set it up fully (and possibly longer if you want to customise it more than the standard Logitech profiles). However, once you've set it up (especially the activities) it's worth the effort because you can put all your other remotes away as you just won't need them. The activities are especially impressive because it can track which devices are on or off, and switch to the correct input (provided you give it the right information).

I'm using mine to control a TV, Sky+, DVD player, AV amp, Xbox, Mindisc & Media centre software on my Man Mini. Previously I was using a Phillips Pronto, so the Harmony software was a doddle compared to the Phillips one. Although I can see why people don't like the software, it does get the job done.

I absolutely love this remote and the only reason I've given it 4 stars and not 5 is that some of the buttons are a little spongy - however you get used to them very quickly but a more positive button action would be nice. Overall, I would highly recommend the Harmony 555.

Zing (Sxr1) Lrg Slr Cover/Burgund
Zing (Sxr1) Lrg Slr Cover/Burgund

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful DSLR cover, 29 April 2009
I bought this for when I just wanted to carry my DSLR around with a normal lens (D700 + 50mm 1.4G). It does the job nicely and provides a layer of padding for the camera. I wouldn't want to drop the camera but feel confident the Zing case would protect against bumps and scratches.

Canon CU77500D 77mm Type 500D close-up attachment
Canon CU77500D 77mm Type 500D close-up attachment

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice alternative to a macro lens, 29 April 2009
As the previous reviewer states, this makes a nice alternative to a cheap macro lens in that its smaller and therefore more likely to be in your kit bag. Focussing can be tricky as the depth of field is very shallow so a tripod (and even focussing rail) are highly recommended. I preferred this to macro tubes as its less bukly then a set of tubes.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 24, 2012 11:15 AM BST

Marware Protection Pack for MacBook Pro 15"
Marware Protection Pack for MacBook Pro 15"

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful protection for MBP, 29 April 2009
Having read that the hand rest on the MPB pro was prone to being rubbed by watches, I decided to purchase the Marware protection pack, primarily for the hand rest protection. Nearly a year later I'm pretty happy with the hand rest protection - the only caveat being that its nearly impossible to apply it without one or two air bubbles.

Startech Cg Media Memory Card Reader Writer
Startech Cg Media Memory Card Reader Writer

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice CF card reader, 29 April 2009
Prior to purchasing this item, I'd only used USB2 CF card readers. I have to say, this reader does seem to be a bit faster than my previous USB2 one. No need for drivers in OSX - it was detected and mounted automatically.

Comply T-100 Isolation Earphone Tips - (Medium) Platinum
Comply T-100 Isolation Earphone Tips - (Medium) Platinum

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable foam tips, 3 Mar 2009
I bought these for my Shure E3g headphones as the standard synthetic tips don't fit my ears particularly well (they keep slipping out) and I don't like the supplied alternative foam tips as they are too soft and don't last very long (keep losing shape very quickly). The Comply foam tips are soooooooo comfortable - they slip in easily without needing to be deformed like the Shure foam tips and they just stay put leading to better isolation and sound quality. They seem slightly firmer than the Shure foam tips, so I'm hoping that means they should last longer without losing their shape. All in all, highly recommended.