Profile for S Mac > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
A New Era: Marching With Caesar
A New Era: Marching With Caesar

5.0 out of 5 stars Another amazing book., 9 Aug 2014
Yet again another amazing book to hit this series.
An amazing book brought to you from the point of view of the soldier.
There is the usual amount of blood shed, camaraderie, with an added bit of more politics.
This is a really well written book, and if you should read it.

Marching With Caesar-Final Campaign
Marching With Caesar-Final Campaign

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing., 23 July 2014
One of the best books/series​ on the market about ancient Rome in my opinion.

TEEPEE ONLINE® NEW DESIGN AND QUALITY BLACK IN EAR EARPHONES HEADPHONES for IPHONE & IPOD BLACKBERRY SAMSUNG HTC MP3
Offered by TEEPEE ONLINE

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken after 6 weeks., 23 July 2014
I have used these sparingly and after 6 weeks they have already broken. Don't bother with them.

Caesar Triumphant
Caesar Triumphant

5.0 out of 5 stars Really interesting, 18 Aug 2013
This review is from: Caesar Triumphant (Kindle Edition)
This book is brilliantly researched and written. It gives you a real insight into what could have happened, but also trying to stick to the history side as much as possible (referring to the Wa and the Han by those titles, instead of modern day alternatives...).
This book is a real page turner and yet again I found myself making time just to read this book, rather than doing jobs I should have been doing (I have apologised to my wife every time a new RW Peake book comes out).
As usual it comes with a healthy dose of blood, guts and the battlefield, but this book also does well at looking at the cultural and political differences in countries, as well as giving you a real feel for the emotions the characters feel.
I'm a massive fan of Peake books, but I'll also admit I was a bit speculative about this book as it isn't based on real history. I've read a few books that have taken Roman history as a starting point, and then simply ruined it, in my opinion anyway.Thankfully my fears were for nothing - this book is well worth a read!

Emperor: The Blood of Gods (Special Edition) (Emperor Series, Book 5)
Emperor: The Blood of Gods (Special Edition) (Emperor Series, Book 5)

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh, 25 May 2013
It is an alright story, but honestly I feel there are far better Roman history authors out there.

I got 3/4 of the way through this book and had to stop. One of the most enraging things I find about this book is the fact Conn Iggulden seems to just disregard simple historic facts and make up his own history. I understand there must be some flexibility in story writing, even when it is about something true, but just changing things for the sake of it (or by just not realising) infuriates me.

Conn is a brilliant story teller, don't get me wrong, I have read nearly all of his books. But it does annoy me that as he is such a well read author a lot of people will get ideas of historic figures that aren't the currently accepted opinion. It also reminds me an awful lot of the 'Rome' TV season - It was a brilliant series, but it had a lot of inaccuracies.

I'd advise if you like this (or this series) pick up the books by Simon Scarrow, S J A Turney, R W Peake or Anthony Riches. Each of them has a certain level of interpretation added into their books, but they each also try and stick to real historic facts when they can.

I am sad that I didn't feel this story deserved a better star rating, but the fact that I had to put it down and stop reading it 3/4 of the way through made it a waste of money to me.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 29, 2013 6:27 PM BST

Marching With Caesar-Antony and Cleopatra:: Part II-Cleopatra: 4
Marching With Caesar-Antony and Cleopatra:: Part II-Cleopatra: 4
by R. W. Peake

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 7 May 2013
As always with Mr Peakes books, this is an amazing story. The characters are well written, the story is brilliant, and the action is really gripping.
So far I've read this book twice (the others have been read at least half a dozen now), and they aren't getting old. Each time I read the book(s) I feel like I'm right there in the muck, in the blood and guts, and I get really entwined with the characters and their tale.
I could not recommend enough that you read this book, and the whole Marching with Caesar saga.

Marching With Caesar-Antony and Cleopatra: Part I-Antony
Marching With Caesar-Antony and Cleopatra: Part I-Antony

5.0 out of 5 stars Roman history brought to life, 6 Mar 2013
Yet again, another amazing book by Mr Peake. With every book he brings his characters to life with stunning ability. You can feel the pain, the happiness, the anger, the fear, everything that the characters in the book. The ability to do this makes me come back to these books again and again.
The author has also done a LOT of research into the book, giving you facts about roman history, where as other authors just make it up as they go.
I could not recommend reading these books enough. You'll learn a lot about Roman history, but you'll also nearly feel like you're right there in the ranks with them.

Marching With Caesar-Civil War
Marching With Caesar-Civil War

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put this down., 13 Nov 2012
I count the first marching with caesar in the top ten of my all time books along with simon scarrow books and bernard cornwell...

Marching with Caesar Civil War is now fighting for my number 1 book ever read. The story is amazingly written and I feel the characters are so real. The emotions described are so relatable and the story just draws you in.

I sit here reading the book for the second time now, laughing along with Titus, feeling horrible when he does and wanting to cry with him too.

Peake is so good at making the characters in his story relatable and real. Battles feel like you are inthe midst of the blood shed, conversations between characters make you feel like you are sat right there with them sharing a cup, and the whirlwind of emtions in the book feel real.

I can not recommend enough that you read this book. The only down side to it is that you will forget to eat, sleep or work so you won't put the book down.

Marius' Mules I: The Invasion of Gaul
Marius' Mules I: The Invasion of Gaul

5.0 out of 5 stars Just read all 3... NOW, 14 Jun 2012
A must read book. Very well written, amazing story line, and very real characters!
If you love Roman novels with decent relationships, deep character plots, and brilliant battle scenes this trilogy is for you!
Would easily compare Mr Turney to S Scarrow, C Iggulden, B Cornwell, etc.
Brilliant books, give them a read.

Marius' Mules II: The Belgae
Marius' Mules II: The Belgae

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly good., 14 Jun 2012
Would easily compare Mr Turney to S Scarrow, C Iggulden, B Cornwell, etc.
Brilliant books, give them a read.

Page: 1 | 2