Profile for Mr. C. A. Cheslett > Reviews

Content by Mr. C. A. Cheslett

Mr. C. A. Cheslett "Ramsgate Renovator" (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Necropolis: London and Its Dead
Necropolis: London and Its Dead
by Catharine Arnold

5.0 out of 5 stars We've all got to go sometimes !, 8 Nov. 2009
Very interesting read and packed full of facts and stories from the past. Wondering what to invest in during the recession. How about Death ? Seems like it's always been profitable since man first got it organised. Certainly pleased some of the older customs and practices have been 'cleaned up' and reading what folks got away with in days gone by is quite amazing. Recommended reading for those who have ever wandered around an old grave yard and wondered why and how some of the monuments and mausoleums were installed. Obviously those slick salesmen were around in those days too.

Mixed Fancies
Mixed Fancies
by Brenda Blethyn

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't she do well !, 4 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Mixed Fancies (Paperback)
Having Brenda as a new neighbour living right next door, we thought we simply had to have this book on the shelf in case she came round to borrow a cup of sugar ! How pleased we were that we bought it. A lovely light read, written in a casual manner (straight from the heart in parts) and crammed full of very amusing (some downright funny that made us belly laugh) anecdotes. Loved the tales of her mishaps and things she did when a kid. Although brought up in a working class household, how lucky she was to have all those brothers and sisters to share her childhood. An unusual STAR biography as it's not crammed with the usual 'name dropping' of people you have never heard of. Nothing complicated, just memories of a life so far crammed full of emotions, experiences, fantasies made reality and living life to the full. I hope she can find time to write another covering the next years of her career. I highly recommend this book. I'm NOT a great reader, my partner is the one who has always got their nose stuck between the pages, but even I have read it through twice. and guess what, I found bits I had not clearly taken in before and generally found it funnier than the first time. Well done Miss Blethyn OBE - long may you prosper and entertain us.

Integral UltimaPro SDHC 4GB Class 6 Memory Card
Integral UltimaPro SDHC 4GB Class 6 Memory Card
Offered by PowerPlanet Europe

5.0 out of 5 stars Talk about confused !, 3 Nov. 2009
I thought I ordered these items from 'moderntech'. On my buying list they now appear to be from 'photostore'. They arrived this morning from 'bmcdigital'.
Items arrived very quickly despite RM's strikes and were well packed and came with documentation (something not all Amazon partner sellers provide).
I have not used Integral cards before and have bought these solely on other buyers reviews which mostly seem favourable. Hope the "ultima PRO" tag line lives up to it's name, watch this space.

LATER : THEY DID LIVE UP TO THEIR NAME, BOTH CARDS TESTED AT READ WRITE SPEEDS THAT FAR EXCEEDED THE OFFICIALLY RECOGNISED SPEED RATINGS FOR CLASS 6 CARDS.

Transcend 8GB SDHC Class 6
Transcend 8GB SDHC Class 6
Offered by emartbuyuk

5.0 out of 5 stars Stick to Amazon - They don't let you down !, 3 Nov. 2009
On testing both these Transcend Class 6 Cards, both ran faster than the industry standard according to my "h2testtw" downloaded program. I've used Transcend before in my Camcorder and they have always performed well. They are great value and I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again.

WARNING : WARNING : WARNING : WARNING : WARNING : WARNING : WARNING : WARNING

DO NOT TRY TO SAVE A FEW BOB AND BUY CLASS 6 CARDS FROM THE FAR EAST.

Being a bit of a meany, over the last month I have bought FIVE cards on e-Bay. Two were listed as UK supplied, Two from Hong Kong and One from China. Yes, they all arrived but three came from CHINA. They all physically conformed to the listings BUT on testing them, they ALL failed the speed tests.

They were ALL clearly described and pictured as being Class 6 but I had to 'dispute' each one. The two Hong Kong sellers told me in to keep the items and refunded without problem but returning the other three cost me a fortune.

SECOND WARNING : PayPal DO NOT accept any other returns method except tracked delivery. They have tried their hardest to wriggle out of their responsibilities. I'm now out of pocket by over £20 for P&P and it's still not all sorted out.

I'll stick to good old reliable AMAZON in the future and recommend you do to.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 14, 2010 11:28 PM GMT

In Search of King Solomon's Mines: A Quest in Ethiopia
In Search of King Solomon's Mines: A Quest in Ethiopia
by Tahir Shah

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I expected., 2 Nov. 2009
This is the third of Shah's books bought on Amazon. I was expecting it to be a little easier but it was quite a hard read. Always the adventurer and a great story teller, I was some times a little confused between the actual facts and some obviously added fiction. I still enjoyed reading this tale of adventure and can highly recommend it to everyone but at the same time, suggest the reader might start with one of his lighter works. See my other reviews.

In Arabian Nights
In Arabian Nights
by Tahir Shah

5.0 out of 5 stars A quality read as usual., 2 Nov. 2009
This review is from: In Arabian Nights (Paperback)
When I recommended my partner should read this, the second of Shah's books bought on Amazon, they picked it up and found it very hard to put down. An adventure, believably fact but I don't think it falls short of slight embellishment. Different culture, language, work ethic and a way of life steeped with superstition and weird and wonderful customs made his journeys (and himself) seem a little like a modern day Indiana Jones. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this convoluted tale and can highly recommend it to everyone.

Braun Oral-B Professional Care 5000 XL Rechargeable Toothbrush
Braun Oral-B Professional Care 5000 XL Rechargeable Toothbrush

5.0 out of 5 stars Certainly wakes me up in the mornings !, 2 Nov. 2009
As usual, a Braun product that does what it says it will. It's a bit like having a wasps' nest in your gob, but it certainly vibrates the brain into action if you press too hard. Holds it's charge but extra brushes pricey unless you frequent e-Bay. Happy brushing.

Tis Herself: An Autobiography
Tis Herself: An Autobiography
by Maureen O'Hara

5.0 out of 5 stars For me she was just another star !, 2 Nov. 2009
Twas not bought for moi ! But kept recipient engrossed for endless hours which gave me some respite from them being bored. An easy read apparently with lots of facts about the 'good old days' when stars were stars and not just celebrities. Recommended.

English Place Names
English Place Names
by Kenneth Cameron

4.0 out of 5 stars Just how much information can one absorb ?, 2 Nov. 2009
This review is from: English Place Names (Paperback)
I was looking forward to seeing where all those funny little place names came from. Half of those I was really interested in were not actually listed and for others you had to flip from part name to part name and then try to stitch the information together. Not for the feint hearted.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 27, 2011 3:18 PM BST

Howard Hughes: Hell's Angel
Howard Hughes: Hell's Angel
by Darwin Porter

5.0 out of 5 stars A spiffing good read, 2 Nov. 2009
Although I'm not an avid reader and havn't actually read this book, I do feel as though I now know more about the adorable Mr Hughes than I did before. Every half hour or so I was informed of how cruel, devious, corrupt and perverse he was. Kept my partner glued to it's pages for hours on end with the occassional 'noooooo' or 'wowwwww'. He did seem to achieve a fair bit in his life, not all was acceptable though. Highly recommended by the actual reader.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3