Profile for pink maomao > Reviews

pink maomao

Park Tool Home Mechanic Pedal Wrench
Park Tool Home Mechanic Pedal Wrench

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 18 Aug. 2012
After labouring with 10-12 cm handle spanners found at home, and having no luck with removing those pesky pedals, I finally decided to throw in the towel and buy a proper pedal wrench. Park Tools were my first preference and, as usual, did not disappoint. After reading a few mixed reviews online about said wrench's performance, I can safely say that (based on my humble experience) it works really well and gives the wrists a break for a change!

I am not mechanically minded by any stretch of the imagination, but this fantastic wrench just couldn't have performed any better. 10 seconds of tugging on each side was all that was required to remove both pedals. The 29cm handle really makes it easy to apply the correct amount of torsion required to remove even the tightest of pedals.

Certain reviews online may indicate that the wrench head is a bit too thin. Be that as it may, I wasn't the least bit concerned when using it with my SPD-SLs.

As for construction, the wrench itself feels solid and well built when held. And provided it isn't abused, it should last for a good long while.
Will recommend for potential consideration. Worth every penny!

Nalini Bianchi World Champion Men's Shorts Sleeve Jersey - Black, Small
Nalini Bianchi World Champion Men's Shorts Sleeve Jersey - Black, Small

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 7 Sept. 2011
Having used other products made by Nalini, the Italian performance cycle clothing manufacturer, I decided to take the plunge and purchase the "Nalini Bianchi World Champion" Set (both jersey & bibs) in black. My previous experience with Nalini had been excellent and this venture proved to be nothing less. Since their Amazon product summaries reveal very little about the two items, I am therefore pleased to report that they look (and of course feel) even better in the flesh!

Both the jersey and bibs are soft to the touch and extremely comfortable to wear. We are informed that the jersey has a "short length zip," in reality it has a 3/4 length zip; ideal for those long summer rides. Contrary to what I initially feared, the "world champion" rainbow colours on the sleeves and legs don't stand out; they blend into the black and have that smart, retro look about them. And finally, the "Edoardo Bianchi" emblem adds a nice touch to what are already two fine articles of sport clothing.

My only gripe is a small one and concerns the jersey: the sleeves are neither elasticated nor silicon paneled which reduces comfort and doesn't completely result in that "smooth, form-fit, racing look." And being of the more slender type, I resorted to rolling up my sleeves.

A must for any Bianchi owner or aficionado. Wear with pride and great panache!

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Limited Edition (Xbox 360)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Limited Edition (Xbox 360)
Offered by Gameseek

3.0 out of 5 stars Simply Limited, 2 Sept. 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I picked up "Deus Ex: Human Revolution" on the day of release, shortly after trading-in 80% of my Xbox 360 collection. The other 20% left were my purebred role-playing titles (The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Mass Effect 1 & 2, Fallout 3 etc). I'm quite the RPG nut and was putting quite the gamble on this new number. I absolutely adore the idea of delving into somebody else's fantasy world and controlling their heroic adventures. I'm not saying my own life isn't exciting (God, I love it) but I can't help but fall in love with the thrilling plots, colourful characters and endless freedom to do what you want, whenever you want to, that RPG games principally strive to deliver. And, whilst I've never had the pleasure of trying Metal Gear Solid, I also loved playing Splinter Cell. So naturally I was eager to give this promising title a go, looking forward to seeing a fusion of stealth and role playing elements.

Make no mistake, "Deus Ex: Human Revolution" is a treat for the eyes. And the subject material concerning transhumanism is kosher enough to be the plot-line of a best selling novel. Whilst it doesn't compete graphically with the likes of Mass Effect, the finer points are noticeable. In terms of environment, the attention to detail is sharp with the colours gold, black and silver painting a grim - but strangely realistic world. So too is the choice of soundtrack. It is as hard hitting as it is a good accompaniment to the visuals. As other reviewers have said before, the "Blade Runner" inspiration is definitely apparent.

Provided that the correct options are configured, "DE: HR" also sports one of the most sophisticated dialogue systems I have seen yet on action RPGs. Gone are the days when gamers would mull over endless paragraphs of text options to choose from. Replacing them are line graphs to show persuasion limits, colour coded personality boxes that reveal whether a character is aggressive or passive, dominant or submissive and even the choice to inject decision altering pheromones into the air. I mean come on: it's the future after all! Something that even "Mass Effect" developers Bioware can take note of.

Surprisingly though, after playing "DE: HR" for a few days, my immediate reaction of an elated "Ah!" changed to a disenchanted "Oh..." The problem, at least for me, is that even with such promising features, the game fails in its promise to offer "a perfect mix of action and role play." Although it's technologically rich, gameplay is ironically limited.

"DE:HR," is not a fully open ended, sand box style RPG game which allows the player to complete it as they wish. It follows a very linear story line; even the protagonist Adam Jensen (fantastically featured as he is) is but a mere subordinate working for a CEO of a company. Here we don't have a traveling ronin on an adventure of self discovery while coincidentally saving the world, we have a corporate employee being sent on "reconnaissance missions" for his boss while inadvertently saving the world!

The lack of side quests is also disappointing; there are just none to be found. Granted, our protagonist doesn't really have his own agenda (acting as a company investigator) so the game doesn't really permit him to do his own thing. But there aren't even the random, unforeseen attacks or dialogue choices that spring up on you which we have come to expect in the genre. There just isn't enough to satisfy.

Not only that but the sophisticated dialogue system is also heavily underutilised with less than half of all conversations using it. What's the point of that?!

So, after completing 80% of the game a few days ago, I still haven't finished it. And despite my forgiving nature, that's how it will stay. In "Deus Ex," the future may hold a revolution for humans. But is this a revolution for video games? Not nearly enough to sell a collection.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 6, 2011 11:26 PM BST