Profile for H. R. W. Peach > Reviews

Content by H. R. W. Peach

H. R. W. Peach "Huw Peach" (Shrewsbury, UK)

Dream River
Dream River
Price: 11.03

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Bill Callahan album so far!, 27 Sep 2013
This review is from: Dream River (Audio CD)
I was already familiar with Bill Callahan's stunning, soothing, laid-back bass tones from the excellent 'Apocalypse', 'Sometimes I wish I were an Eagle' and 'Woke on a Whaleheart', but this album reaches new heights, as Bill's voice effortlessly plumbs new depths.

People who are familiar with previous albums of his will recognise Bill's Ohrwurm melodies, his unhurried vocal delivery, his beautiful, often perplexing and perhaps oracular lyrics and the sparse but atmospheric percussion.

The guitar sometimes reminds me of Joni Mitchell's Hejira and at other times -during echoey, psychadelic flights- of something out of the 70s, and the jazz flute makes me think of Gil Scott Heron.

Treat yourself. This really is a brilliant album, which you will listen to again and again. Bill's voice deserves a much wider audience.

Beauty Queen Sister
Beauty Queen Sister
Price: 11.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Every single song is an Ohrwurm!, 7 Dec 2011
This review is from: Beauty Queen Sister (Audio CD)
Ohrwurm is a German word, which best describes an Indigo Girls song.

Each tune on this superb new album is an Ohrwurm; not only does it impress immediately with its melody, its brilliant harmonies, and the clever arrangement of the voices and the instruments, but these wonderful songs also work their way into your head each time that you listen to them. I find myself humming or singing the tunes days after listening to them, and cannot resist the urge to return to the album again and again, latching onto different songs each time as my current favourite. (It's 'Feed and Water the Horses' at the moment).

'War Rugs' is interesting and topical lyrically with its references to the Arab Spring and soldiers returning from Iraq. And I love the grungy guitar riffing on 'Beauty Queen Sister' and the soaring yet beautifully simple 'Birthday Song'. 'Mariner Moonlighting' feels as effortlessly brilliant and simple with its late-night mood as 'Crazy Game' did all those years ago.

As they have done with every album since 1988, these two geniuses, Emily Saliers and Amy Ray, have produced yet another great collection of songs for the heart and the ear, which will keep us all going back for more. Thank you, both, for giving us something so memorable, something so beautiful and -most importantly- something so nourishing for the soul.

Poseidon And The Bitter Bug
Poseidon And The Bitter Bug
Offered by westworld-
Price: 8.49

5.0 out of 5 stars The Indigo Girls are consistently brilliant, 7 Jan 2010
It's hard to think of any other band, who can produce albums of such a consistently high standard. This album has everything that you expect from an Indigo girls album (I have them all): an outstanding blend of 2 distinctive voices, wonderful musicianship, melodies which are increasingly satisfying with every listening, and lyrics, which show an intelligent, big-hearted, warts-and-all understanding of the human condition. I cannot recommend this duo, or this brilliant album, highly enough.

Despite Our Differences
Despite Our Differences
Price: 18.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Get it right this time, 18 May 2008
This review is from: Despite Our Differences (Audio CD)
Giving this album only 4 stars in a earlier review is one of my less proud moments... and I am writing this to make amends.

As with all Indigo Girls albums, you keep wanting to go back, and listen and re-listen. The songs here are consistently strong, warm, sincere, melodious and moving. This album is as powerful and life-affirming as any of their others. I can't wait for their next one.